Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
wheelhater

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door liftback
Steering Wheel

I find the steering wheel on my 2009 Yaris to be intolerable. I'm planning on replacing it with an aftermarket wheel. This means there will be no driver side airbag. Anyone else hate this wheel? Any suggestions?

P.S. I just found some info on this website and it looks like I'm not the only one with complaints.

Last edited by wheelhater; 09-14-2009 at 03:19 PM.
wheelhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
when i first got my yaris, i could have gone for a bit more leg room...i was used to being able to fully extend my legs in the civic i was driving before...as for the steering wheel itself, i found it to be ok...what do you not like about it specifically?

Last edited by ern-diz; 09-14-2009 at 04:47 PM.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
etheliters

Drives: 07 yaris hatch
I've read about extensions and even saw someone's wheel swapped already here. try doing a search in these forum.
etheliters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
wheelhater

Everything about it is wrong.

The pebbled texture is rough and uncomfortable to grip. When coming out of a turn, I like to use one hand as a clutch on the surface of the wheel to control the rate at which the wheel straightens out. With the pebbled surface, the wheel grabs my palm instead of smoothly slipping.

The cheap plastic piece that blows the horn blows. It's got sharp edges on the back side, and it is uncomfortable to rest my hands on top of the spokes, because the edge of the plastic annoys me. And I've blown the horn accidentally half a dozen times because that piece is unnecessarily too big.

The 3 spokes are all wrong. You cannot wrap your hands around the wheel at 9 and 3. The indentations that are supposedly for the thumbs are useless for this reason. The bottom spoke is too wide to stick between the fingers of one hand, and if you want to put two hands at the bottom, the spoke makes that impossible. If my hands are at 10 and 2, resting on the spokes, it is uncomfortable because of the horn piece. (What is the proper name for that piece?)

On top of all that, the distance from me to the wheel is too far. My arms are stretched out all the way. I installed the center armrest and I tried driving while leaning on it and using just my left hand on the wheel, but that doesn't make enough of a difference.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
SailDesign

Drives: .
You should NEVER rest your hands on top of the spokes when driving, and you should put your hands at "10-to-2" in stead of "9:15".
Solved
Wheels are meant to be held, not rested on.
Personally, I find the pebbled finish fine for the "wheel-slip" clutch thing you mention, but maybe that's just me. A wheel is a wheel isd a wheel. I have changed out big wheels for smalled before (leg room issue) but other than that they have all turned, so I've been happy.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
ern-diz

i just noticed the name lol...'wheelhater' haha...i'm thinking ur pulling our legs with this one, right?...if not, there are a GANG of people on this site that have replaced the stock steering wheel for something more sport inspired...lots of pics in the photo forum...

personally, i rock one hand at 12 o'clock and the other on the shifter...i thought 10 and 2 went out when airbags got more poplular...?...isn't 8 and 4 the new trend in order to supposedly avoid injury to the arms should the airbags deploy in a collision?...i don't know lol...
Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Wheel slips fine through my hands coming out of a turn. I've never accidentally blown the horn or noticed sharp plastic. The comfort is just fine at 10 and 2, and the reach is perfect when the seat is properly adjusted.

There's lots of threads on here about aftermarket wheels, but everything you're describing sounds like the seat to steering wheel interface is malfunctioning, not the wheel.

edit: never heard of 8 and 4, but I wouldn't want to try evasive maneuvering with my hands like that.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
i thought 10 and 2 went out when airbags got more poplular...?...isn't 8 and 4 the new trend in order to supposedly avoid injury to the arms should the airbags deploy in a collision?...i don't know lol...
10-to-2 still givres the most control, as it did before. You are right about the airbags, 9:15 is supposed to get around that, but the OP didn't like that. I still rock the 10-to-2 becasue I reckon there's less chance of the airbags deploying if I stay in better control.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
...I still rock the 10-to-2 becasue I reckon there's less chance of the airbags deploying if I stay in better control.
good point lol
Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #10
wheelhater

Not solved, unfortunately, because 10 and 2 is uncomfortable whether I grip the wheel or let my hands rest on it. Even when you "grip" a wheel, some of the weight of your arms is resting on the spokes, right? The wheel has a strange shape in that area, kind of a sharpness to the radius of the curve, which bothers my pinky fingers a lot. I'm no driving expert but I've heard it said that if you go to driving school, these days they teach 9 and 3 rather than 10 and 2. I prefer 10 and 2.

I agree 8 and 4 is no good for steering. Out of desperation I've tried it. I've even tried just thumbs, resting my hands on my knees, but my thumbs are not in good shape these days.

I will check photos on this site to see the wheel swaps.

I think the seat to steering wheel interface is definitely a problem. A telescoping wheel might have done the trick here. Maybe I can install a spacer. (I'm 6'0".)

Thanks to all.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #11
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhater View Post
Well . . .

Not Solved, because 10 and 2 is uncomfortable whether I grip the wheel or let my hands rest on it. The wheel has a strange shape in that area, kind of a sharpness to the radius of the curve, which bothers my pinky fingers a lot. I'm no driving expert but I've heard it said that if you go to driving school, these days they teach 9 and 3 rather than 10 and 2. I prefer 10 and 2.

I agree 8 and 4 is no good for steering. Out of desperation I've tried it. I've even tried just thumbs, resting my hands on my knees, but my thumbs are not in good shape these days.

I will check photos on this site to see the wheel swaps.

I think the seat to steering wheel interface is definitely a problem. (I'm 6'0".)

Thanks for all the good info.
yea i was wrong about 8 and 4, it's 9 and 3 as you mentioned is taught in driving schools these days...i was just taking a guess because i knew the 10 and 2 standard had changed for the purpose of avoiding injury when the airbags deploy during a collision...
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Liltoaster

Drives: 05 Echo H/B
I ran a Momo Champion in my Echo for track days and such...... the stock wheel is annoying but saftey is more important.
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i have a generic MOMO wheel. ditched the stock wheel 4 years ago, in favor of this 2" SMALLER diameter
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Y@R15
Dude wheres my car?

Drives: 98 honda VTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
i just noticed the name lol...'wheelhater' haha...i'm thinking ur pulling our legs with this one, right?...if not, there are a GANG of people on this site that have replaced the stock steering wheel for something more sport inspired...lots of pics in the photo forum...

personally, i rock one hand at 12 o'clock and the other on the shifter...i thought 10 and 2 went out when airbags got more poplular...?...isn't 8 and 4 the new trend in order to supposedly avoid injury to the arms should the airbags deploy in a collision?...i don't know lol...

i have had an air bag deploy in an accident i was in and i rock the 12 O'colck too. if not for my long sleeves id have been burned or whatever from it. altho seriously the new law is 9 and 3 to help reduce friction burn from deployed airbag but its dumb because a 10 and 2 is still same angle of arm bend. from my 10 years of driving exp. id say id more comfy to drive 10 and 2 or 12 with shifter.
Y@R15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@R15 View Post
i have had an air bag deploy in an accident i was in and i rock the 12 O'colck too. if not for my long sleeves id have been burned or whatever from it. altho seriously the new law is 9 and 3 to help reduce friction burn from deployed airbag but its dumb because a 10 and 2 is still same angle of arm bend. from my 10 years of driving exp. id say id more comfy to drive 10 and 2 or 12 with shifter.
man...airbag to the face would suck...glad u came out of that one ok...
Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #16
gokartride

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3-Door Liftback
My personal proportions and Yaris ergonomics seem to somehow be perfectly matched 'cause I have no problem w/ comfort and actually like the feel of the steering wheel very, very much. That said, if I was taller/shorter/larger/smaller it might be a problem as there are somewhat limited ways to dial things in. As it is, though, no problem.
gokartride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I'd like to get my wheel leather wrapped and plan to explore that option.
The OEM plastic sometime causes a sweaty grip. Aside from that the ego's of the stock wheel suit me fine.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
If you can get your hands on the factory leather wheel, its a pretty easy swap. I did it, and the leather wheel is a huge improvement. Someone listed the part # on here somewhere. I think the xA wheel might have ben the same too, but not sure about that.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote