Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
woof

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatch/Black
xB Gen 1 vs Yaris . . .

I was pretty happy with my xB until I looked down and noticed I had 50K miles in just 24 months. Well, I like the styling of the Yaris and saddled up with one. Both cars are five speeds and the first thing I noticed is that the Yaris' mission in life is MPG and nothing else. Not only did my xB handle 100% better, it felt much quicker.

This all comes down to final drive ratio. How feasible is it to break open the trans axle to put in a lower overall ratio gear? As I recall, the the xB was about 300 pounds heavier but still seemed to move out more quickly than my Yaris and this had to be the main difference since the drive trains are identical.

Any ideas?
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
The Yaris has taller gears as you have noticed so it takes a little long between shifts. As for your question user Cali_Yaris aka "Garm" actually sway out the internal gears in his tranny to those of the 1st gen xB. The internals can be swapped but the case of the tranny is designed a little different.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
If you change the Yaris' transmission, then it will lose its mission in life.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I was pretty happy with my xB until I looked down and noticed I had 50K miles in just 24 months. Well, I like the styling of the Yaris and saddled up with one. Both cars are five speeds and the first thing I noticed is that the Yaris' mission in life is MPG and nothing else. Not only did my xB handle 100% better, it felt much quicker.

This all comes down to final drive ratio. How feasible is it to break open the trans axle to put in a lower overall ratio gear? As I recall, the the xB was about 300 pounds heavier but still seemed to move out more quickly than my Yaris and this had to be the main difference since the drive trains are identical.

Any ideas?
To improve the handling 200% add an aftermarket rear swaybar.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
get the celica or lotus six speed. then you'll get best of both worlds...double overdrive and 4 'getup gears'
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01 View Post
get the celica or lotus six speed. then you'll get best of both worlds...double overdrive and 4 'getup gears'
Those transmissions are too weak!