Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
waterpump/AC compressor

are there any pics of how the waterpump and the AC compressor sit down in there..?? 1.5Lt... 07 Hatch manual 5 speed
it looks like there is the crank pulley on the bottom.. then whatever that bigger unit pulley.. then the tensioner and then the alternator.
whats the real story/pics?? Is the AC and the water pump the same pulley??
If I decided to run in the winter time bypassing the AC with a smaller serpentine belt,..is this possible
or is that unit down there a combo unit that has other uses..??
Would I lose heater if I did that..???
Anyone who has done that.. what size belt did you use..??
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The AC compressor has its own pulley. There is a shorter belt for ones without AC. I know this first hand, as Crashy's AC compressor was cracked, so I pulled it off and got the shorter length belt from Napa (I just asked for an alternator belt for a 2008 Yaris, with no AC). The Toyota part number for the non-AC one is: 90916-02499.

You wouldn't lose the heater by bypassing it, but since the AC has an electric clutch, when it is not being used it really doesn't offer any resistance. So, there is very little to be gained by it, other than saving some wear on the compressor's bearings.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
yaris9876

Drives: yaris hatch 07 640K original m
I have 170K on it. It looks like it could be one of many things. The timing chains and tensioners are known for going out.. and this thing has 170K...way past the point where you are going to start to run into problems....
my dilemma...is it worth doing any substantial work on this thing...??
Its been good but useless to haul anything and I have a PU and dont really need both
even know the mileage is great... but how could I sell it..???
If I was to service it at this point,170K, I should look at the entire front..
replace timing chain/tensioner , rebuild water pump,alternator,VVTI solenoid, O2 sensor,
at least these things...what do you think a Toyota dealer in western USA would want to do all of this.???? I couldnt hope to sell it without fixing these.....
by the way, anyone know what a vvti solenoid costs at the dealer....??.
yaris9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
I have 170K on it. It looks like it could be one of many things. The timing chains and tensioners are known for going out.. and this thing has 170K...way past the point where you are going to start to run into problems....
my dilemma...is it worth doing any substantial work on this thing...??
Its been good but useless to haul anything and I have a PU and dont really need both
even know the mileage is great... but how could I sell it..???
If I was to service it at this point,170K, I should look at the entire front..
replace timing chain/tensioner , rebuild water pump,alternator,VVTI solenoid, O2 sensor,
at least these things...what do you think a Toyota dealer in western USA would want to do all of this.???? I couldnt hope to sell it without fixing these.....
by the way, anyone know what a vvti solenoid costs at the dealer....??.

The list for it is about $86.

With all the work you are looking at, it would probably be cheaper to pick up a low mileage engine from a wreck. Off eBay, they can readily be picked up for $400, and occasionally off ebay or Craigslist, you'll see them going for as little as $200.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
is there something specific wrong with your car? or you just looking to do this as maintenance?

either way I was take it to a local mechanic shop instead of the dealership. Local guys can preform these general task just as well as a Dealership, but at a much lower cost.

So long as you change your fluids at recommended intervals (oil every 5k, trans fluid every 30k, antifreeze every 100k) you should not have any major troubles

there are a few members here that have well over 300k on the clock