Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Used TOYOTA WS Automatic Tranny Fluid analysis :

here's an analysis of the factory fill of Toyota WS tranny fluid for an '06 TUNDRA with 59,000 miles that came back a bit weak , http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...90#Post1694190 . Know it's a truck that's been used to tow , is heavier than YARIS , etc.. , but figure the YARIS could use a flush and fill before the 100,00 miles stated in the owners manual . Especially if live in mountainous terrain , stop and go driving , etc.. There's also residue from sealants , etc. ( contaminants ) . So, what's your opinion of changing A.T.F. in a YARIS earlier ? Looks like AMSOIL A.T.L. ( www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx ) can be used in place of the WS . It's less than $10 a quart . Anyone using this or daring enough to ?

Last edited by Hershey; 03-17-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
41magmag41

Drives: Loaded 2007 mica silver sedan
The yaris is a lighter duty car, I would still stay with the factory recommendation just to keep Toyota happy in case of a warranty issue.
41magmag41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Mines outta here at 15k and I'm going to use BIOSYN ATF. Going to change the filter too. I'm at 8k now.

I'd be comfortable with the Amsoil too.
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
So, what's your opinion of changing A.T.F. in a YARIS earlier ?
It couldn't hurt. The power train warranty is 100,000 miles, so apparently Toyota is confident that the oil will get it through that period.
Quote:
AMSOIL A.T.L. ( www.amsoil.com/storefront/atl.aspx ) can be used in place of the WS .
As I've mentioned before, the Scamsoil company's penchant for using the results of totally inappropriate test procedures (e.g. four ball wear test... for engine oil) to "prove the superiority" of their products, substantially compromises their credibility, in my eyes. I wouldn't buy cooking oil from those folks, let alone trust their transmission fluid. Toyota's WS is known to be a quality fluid. Personally, I would use that.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Hershey

powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles . It's 100,000 miles if is a CERTIFIED vehicle or there was a special warranty thrown in by dealer for a new car .
Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
powertrain warranty is 60,000 miles . It's 100,000 miles if is a CERTIFIED vehicle or there was a special warranty thrown in by dealer for a new car .
Thanks. I didn't know that. Mine is a Certified. It had 21,416 miles on it when I bought it. So I effectively got 78,584 miles of power train warranty. I guess I did better than buying new then. :-)

-Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Going to leave my factory stuff in for as long as I own it. Might change the filter every five years or thereabouts....
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Going to leave my factory stuff in for as long as I own it. Might change the filter every five years or thereabouts....
If you are not planning on changing the fluid, I'd suggest leaving the filter, as well. I would expect the filter to gain efficiency over time, if anything. If it clogs (doubtful), you'll know it. Otherwise, it should be fine. Changing the filter means you'll have to drain the fluid into a container, pull the pan, replace the filter, and then pour the fluid back in. All this entails chances for contamination. And the factory service manual specifically says *not* to do that. It says to *always* use fresh fluid.

-Steve
Old 03-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
It couldn't hurt. The power train warranty is 100,000 miles, so apparently Toyota is confident that the oil will get it through that period.

As I've mentioned before, the Scamsoil company's penchant for using the results of totally inappropriate test procedures (e.g. four ball wear test... for engine oil) to "prove the superiority" of their products, substantially compromises their credibility, in my eyes. I wouldn't buy cooking oil from those folks, let alone trust their transmission fluid. Toyota's WS is known to be a quality fluid. Personally, I would use that.

-Steve
ditto. only use Toyota WS. why roll the dice and possibly risk out of pocket expense when you use something NOT recommended, and you just happen to have a warranty related issue ? you aren't going to gain a damn thing by using Amsoil over Toyota WS, but you might end up losing. it is extremely doubtful Amsoil would give you a problem...but...

LOL...'copper is creeping up'...

this is from the tranny cooler. note: copper is added to lubes in high pressure applications.
it does zero harm in an automatic transmission, unless there is an actual chunk of it blocking
a solenoid or oilway.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 03-17-2010 at 02:49 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
Hershey

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't know that. Mine is a Certified. It had 21,416 miles on it when I bought it. So I effectively got 78,584 miles of power train warranty. I guess I did better than buying new then. :-)

-Steve
yup , 7 years or 100,000 miles from when car was bought by 1st owner . Should help you with the amount of miles you drive . Here's the CERTIFIED WARRANTY , www.toyotacertified.com/warranty.html .
Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
41magmag41

Again, I fail to understand all this hoopla over changing fluids in a yaris before the factory recommended service intervals. This car is suppose to be an economy car in order to reduce costs and provide reliable transportation. The factory manuel says to change the transmission fluid at I believe 100 or 120 thousand miles, why incurr the expense of changing it early. Being in my mid 50's I've run cars well over 100000 plus from new and have had no problems following the factory recommentations. I've done this with my 2007 yaris, 80000 miles on her and going strong. All I've done is change the oil and filter every 5000 miles, the air and cabin filters as necessary, and rotate the tires. All other items are checked at the factory recommened service intervals. I still have 2/3rds of my front and rear brakes left and have put one set of tires on her.

Again I say why incurr expense when you don't have to?? Seems like a waste of money and bad for the enviroment. It seems most posters are living in the past where cars needed this type of maintance to last, todays new oils and all don't need to be changed as much. I don't think Toyota would recommend leaving the tranny fluid alone for such a long time if they didn't have confidence it would last, if it didn't last they would have warranty claims up the whazoo.

Just an old timers two cents worth.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
The factory manuel says to change the transmission fluid at I believe 100 or 120 thousand miles
I just checked the maintenance schedule for my 2008 Yaris Sedan on the Toyota.com site. It specifies checking the transmission fluid level at 30,000 mile intervals. It details scheduled maintenance out to 120,000 miles. But *never* mentions changing the transmission fluid or filter.

This transmission is intended to be essentially maintenance free.

-Steve
Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Yep. There is no recommended change interval.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
41magmag41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Yep. There is no recommended change interval.
OK got spanked on that one, read the maintenance schedule a little more carefully, but the maintenance schedule does say to replace the transmission oil at 60 and 120 thousand if used for towing, and with the threads about towing with the yaris maybe they should change it. Thanks for keeping on my toes.

Again my point was missed that this car has a long life transmission fluid in it and why go through the expense of changing it just to have something to do. Goes along with my comment of spending thousands of dollars on the car to make it go better when you could put the thousands of bucks with the cost of the car and buy a car that comes from the factory like you want.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
OK got spanked on that one,
Wasn't my intention at all.

Quote:
Again my point was missed that this car has a long life transmission fluid in it and why go through the expense of changing it just to have something to do.
In fact, I was adding evidence to strengthen your point. And I more or less agree with it.

However... I will defend the idea of changing the fluid at finite intervals... say... 60,000 miles, as a reasonable practice. A rebuild on a relatively simple, American, transmission like the THD-400 in my 68 Cadillacs is expensive enough. I can only imagine how expensive the Yaris' transmission would be. And a fluid change, even using the somewhat pricey WS fluid, is a relatively cheap once every 5 year prophylactic measure.

The standard power train warranty is only 60,000 miles. (100,000 miles for Certified used.) There is no particular reason for a manufacturer to care overly about the transmission making it past 100,000 miles. Making the car last forever is a recipe for losing future business. And the fluid could well be compromised long before any transmission trouble developed.

I'm not saying that it is. I'm just saying that it could be, and that the manufacturer surely doesn't care much about anything past the 120,000 miles that the maintenance schedule covers.

My cars, other than the Yaris, all have 250k+ miles on them, so I tend to think in the long term, regarding these things.

-Steve
Old 03-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
If you are not planning on changing the fluid, I'd suggest leaving the filter, as well. I would expect the filter to gain efficiency over time, if anything. If it clogs (doubtful), you'll know it. Otherwise, it should be fine. Changing the filter means you'll have to drain the fluid into a container, pull the pan, replace the filter, and then pour the fluid back in. All this entails chances for contamination. And the factory service manual specifically says *not* to do that. It says to *always* use fresh fluid.

-Steve

Hmmm not doing ANYTHING AT ALL has a certain cache now that Im 54.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote