Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Tatsh

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris LE
Replacing Headlight Bulbs?

Anybody got any pictures or a quick step-by-step on how to do this? Tried multiple times today but apparently there's a screw holding the clip that holds the bulb in place?

Much Appreciated.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You're supposed to take off the front bumper (=front end of car) to get at the headlight assemblies. I'm hoping before mine need replacing, someone will figure out how to kludge around that.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Nah, you should be able to snake your hands through the wheel wells and get to the bulbs that way. Its not easy if you don't know what you're looking at. The clips are supposed to be pushed in, then pushed in another direction.

The clips are held on by the screws yea, but they're also held down by a hook. What you're pretty much doing is taking the clips off of the hook, then they become free so you can take the bulbs out. It ain't easy to do tho.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
POORSHA

Drives: 2008 LB
Take the bumper off your hands will thank you. It will take 30 min tops to take bumper off. Its a great time to put in fog lights or a new horn.
POORSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POORSHA View Post
Take the bumper off your hands will thank you. It will take 30 min tops to take bumper off. Its a great time to put in fog lights or a new horn.
I'll agree with this one.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i can get the top of the bumper unclipped in about 3min...you can then get at all 3 bolts that hold the headlights in

if you pop out the headlights its waaaaaaaaaay easier to see whats going on w/ the bulb in the back.

H4's are pain in the butt. theres a little metal clip that holds them in at the back....its hard to see how it goes in if you have the headlights still in the car
Old 05-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
I can confirm this to be the most F**KING annoying job on the Yaris and costs your skin and blood....especially on the drivers side of a LHD car! The battery and fuse boxes kill the chance of getting it done easily.

Removing the bumper is the best way, although I didnt want to snap the clips as Im heavy handed when p**sed off so (believe it or not) I actually removed the top of the wing, held it away slightly from the inner arch and it gave me enough room to get the f**kin bulbs out.

YES I HAVE ISSUES WITH MY CAR OVER THIS STILL. Toyota take note, this sucks!
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i can get the top of the bumper unclipped in about 3min...you can then get at all 3 bolts that hold the headlights in

if you pop out the headlights its waaaaaaaaaay easier to see whats going on w/ the bulb in the back.

H4's are pain in the butt. theres a little metal clip that holds them in at the back....its hard to see how it goes in if you have the headlights still in the car
Not seeing the clip is major probem the first time you change them as you don't have a real understanding just how the clip is fastened.

After removing a headlight for the fist time and seeing just how it's secured should make it easier to change it the next time without removing the headlight.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I may have to take a light and one of those little dental mirrors to see how it's set up. I don't like the bumper removal idea. This is really bad design.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #10
Mad Goon
New To The Import Thing..

Drives: 07 Yaris 71 Comet 69 Maverick
Send a message via AIM to Mad Goon

You basically squeeze the top of those two metal clips.. That's how the h4s are in my Comet at least(conversion).. It's kinda annoying especially with the lack of space.. But it can be done!
Mad Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
you who are posting 'take off the bumper' must be trolling hard for attention

there is zero need for anything like that.

just reach in there and swap out the bulbs same as any damn car
avoid touching the glass on the bulb
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #12
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Removing the bumper is silly. Take your time, look carefully before you start, and don't force anything. I've changed bulbs a half-dozen times trying different color temps and installing HID's, and never unbolted anything. Its tight, but manangeable, and I have large hands.
Be sure you know what the bulb clip looks like before you start pulling on things. Do the passenger side first for a clear view of the mechanism.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

It may be silly, but removing the bumper is the method Toyota recommends in the service manual. I'm sure they base their flat rate for doing it on removing the bumper with basic hand tools, too.