Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
Headlight Condensation

My headlight housings are painted to match the body color. I did this about 1 and 1/2 year ago. Now, the passenger side housing is having condensation issue.

Today when I went to my mechanic to check something out, he told me that if you want a quickie solution to the condensation problem, I can drill a teeny-tiny hole from the bottom of the housing and it will be solved. It made sense, but I just wanted to hear more feedback in regards to what my mechanic suggested me to do.

Taking the housing out and prying it open and re-sealing it with silicon is not that hard, but if that drilling works, I think I want to go ahead with it.

What are your thoughts guys?

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
dunno, sorry. my intuition says to disagree.

isn't the cause of the condensation (no longer sealed somewhere) still there?
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
....... open them up, dry them out and reseal? :/ I would think the hole would let in more moisture and cause more problems.....

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
Try removing the vent caps from the back of the headlight and let the heat from the engine dry it out or open them and seal them again.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
there is often no way around this for sure, except yank the entire assembly, wash and dry it,
and reseal any gaps with putty (plumbers putty works excellent. roll it into thin
cylinders and press into gaps with small tool like broken q-tip or toothpick.)

use silicone sealant if you never plan on opening them up again

find the gaps by filling it with water when you wash it
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
thanks for the good suggestions guys, very helpful and will try them.

i will try the vent cap open-dry-reclose trick first. hopefully it works

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
If you decide to re-open the headlights, use the proper stuff for resealing them:
OEM butyl sealant

Rumored to be the same as 3M Window-Weld.

The roll (at least the Nissan one) is super thick. I stretch it waaaaay out as I unroll it, adding sealer where it was looking thin from the factory, then smooth it over the edge of the headlight lens. Imagine trying to cover the blade of a knife (both sides, and especially along the edge) with playdough. That's what I do with the headlight lens and the butyl. That way when you smash it back together (which will take a little extra force), you have sealant on both sides AND on the edge of the lens. I've seen other people simply lay the roll down into the backside of the headlamp - that way seems to be much harder.

I recommend this over silicone because if you ever have to re-open the headlights for any reason, the silicone leaves crap everywhere and it becomes MUCH harder to get a proper seal next time. You may not plan on redoing the job, but you probably didn't plan on it last time, right?
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
^ yeah, silicone sealant is a b*tch. I gotta scrape off all of it and use that strip butyl sealant when I fix my condensation problem.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Butyl sealant over silicone definitely.

You could try tossing a couple of new silica gel desiccant packs in behind the bowl (the kind that come with cameras and electronics.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
Butyl sealant over silicone definitely.

You could try tossing a couple of new silica gel desiccant packs in behind the bowl (the kind that come with cameras and electronics.
Those ball things?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
The hole trick will work best . This is how I have modified my foglights . The hole will allow air to circulate inside the housing and cool the inside . The trick is not to puncture the reflective surface .

I'm not sure what the Sedan headlights look like , but if it were my LB I would drill holes on the TOP of the headlights in addition to the hole in the bottom. Actually I would drill some 1/16 or smaller hole(s) into the place where the hood meets the headlight . There is a lip (on headlight its clear in color ) that forms a 90 degree joint with the hood . Drill the vertical side into the headlight . You won't be able to see the hole(s) with the hood down .

With holes in the top and bottom the air can circulate much better and the hole in the bottom provides a place for water to drain .

Actually buying new headlights would be the easiest way .
Old 06-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #12
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Take the bulb(s) out,dry the inside of the unit out and then use a product called snow seal...its for boots and outdoors stuff.It's beeswax....you apply it,use a hairdryer to make it "run" into cracks and crannies,then it solidifies/sealing the area.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote