Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
time alignment

This isn't actually for the Yaris, but I figure you car audio guys can answer it.

On my tC, I have JBL 10"x2 subs, and JBL GTO series speakers throughout, with a Grand Touring amp powering it all. I have a Kenwood 7" HU if that helps.

The bass is "late" compared to the mids and highs, and it bothers me. I would like to move the bass forward or delay the mids/highs. Do I need more equipment, or can I do it with my current setup? Am I describing a phase problem?

thanks in advance, ask whatever questions you like, I'll try and answer them.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
In the audio setup for your deck, does it have a "time correction" or "time alignment" configuration?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't think so. Just went through all the audio screens to make sure.

It's a Kenwood DNX7100

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...inment/DNX7100
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
I've never heard of anybody ever complain about the bass being late. Time alignment is generally used to adjust for the difference in the distance the left or right speaker is from your ears... Time alignment may help your problem... but i'd bet money that your issue has nothing to do with the distance it is away from your head, but rather the group delay of your setup which is primarily a function of your box design & the sub's Le (inductance of the coil).

Both are spendy ventures to test. New sub or new box. Looks like you are running a sealed box, so I doubt changing the box will make a big difference.

If you have bass boost turned on, turn it off and see if that helps. Huge spikes in frequency response tricks the brain into thinking that the sound is boomy which can often be seen as being slow and muddy.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Look for the Phase control, you may have it reversed on the Headunit, if not the amp may have this control also, I'll see if i can find some Operation Manuals. http://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/DNX7100.pdf

It does have a Reset Button to set it back to factory settings if it didn't sound like that before.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 05-27-2010 at 12:15 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Time delay in the digital domain is the best way to adjust impulse response, but $$$$.
Phase is related to impulse response but if you only have a 0 and 180 degree switch, then it's not much help.

As mentioned before, group delay caused by badly design ported boxes are the usual culprit, sealed boxes are usually never a problem.

It can also be attributed to the type of amps used, configuration that the woofers are wired in, the impulse response of the woofer and the crossovers used.

Passive eq will also cause phase shifts and can play havoc with crossover points.

Below is a pic of a mate's impulse response, using phl mids and and 18" phl bass driver. Note the much slower impulse response of the bass driver compared to the mid and then the brilliant impulse response of the ribbon tweeter (this is a pair of active speakers for home that I helped him make).

And after correction:

But really, you need to find out what the problem is before taking steps to correct it. Whack a mic in you seat, load up REW or some other program and take measurements. It's easier than turboing a car!
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Good call on the 180 phase switch (if that amp has one). If the amp doesn't have one, you can always do it manually by switching the polarity on the speaker wires to the subs. positive wire from amp goes to negative terminal on sub, and vice versa.