Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
alpine type s?

has anyone used these and how do they sound? best buy has them on sale and i'm going to pick a set up I think. I bought a new pioneer premier hu and I'm going to toss that in as well. I cant take the megaphone sounding stereo in the yaris any longer lol. next will be the rear speakers and a singler 12''. Any good input on speakers would help I listen to mostly rock but will listen to hip hop and country when i'm sick of the same songs.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
rye7jen

Drives: 2nz-fe '10
Got pics?
rye7jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
vwtech
Banned

no not yet havent installed anything yet, I need to get the adapter harness.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Which type s? Coax or components? If you're putting a sub in later on, you could plan your front speakers around that. If you're putting in a bigger five channel amp when you do the sub, you could base that on what fronts to get now.
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
vwtech
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centrysis View Post
Which type s? Coax or components? If you're putting a sub in later on, you could plan your front speakers around that. If you're putting in a bigger five channel amp when you do the sub, you could base that on what fronts to get now.
I'm going to add a single 12'' sub later on and the speakers I want are coax.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
centrysis

You could get an amp now to power your front speakers. One big enough to do the fronts,rears and the sub. Those speakers will sound much better running off an amp. Plus you'll have the power to run the rears and sub when you get them. Or you could go the route of putting component speakers up front and none in the back, and run a 3/4 channel amp for the fronts and the sub. Alot of people here like components up front and a sub. It depends on your budget and how much work you want to put into it. My durango has a 50 watt rms x 4 amp and two sets of coax speakers. There is a huge difference in the sound and clarity when you run them off an amp instead of the hu.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
^
Good suggestion. You really don't *need* rear speakers. You could use the money you would save on buying rear speakers, and get component speakers up front instead of coax.

4 channel amp with 2 channels to run the fronts, and bridge 2 to run your sub. Relatively simple setup, but will sound great if properly installed.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
vwtech
Banned

went to best buy and bought kenwood component speakers they were half off so I couldnt turn down the deal, I installed the head unit first and that made a HUGE improvment I just couldnt believe how good it sounded with the new head unit. I ended up buying the kenwood component for 74 dollars. well I'm about to go install the rest of the system now i'll update in a few hours.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
centrysis

depending on which pioneer you got, some of them have alot of features to enhance the sound. They'll sound decent running off the hu, but when you get an amp later on to power them, you'll say holy $hit that sounds better, and louder.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
vwtech
Banned

yeah and amp is in the near future, I only got one side done and I can already tell the difference I need to get a hole saw for the tweeter but other than that the drivers side is done. I'm glad I upgraded the speakers because the stock ones are so cheap, I cant beleieve anyone drives around listening to these they look like a boom box speaker from the 80's lol. now the next upgrade will be some better seats the stockers are horrible.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
centrysis

Run those off the hu until you can get an amp and sub like redhatch08 said.I left my tweeters hanging out and just set them in different spots to see where they sounded best until I finally decided on the doors facing up.Also, I got jeep wrangler water proof seat covers, and they are so much more comfortable.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
goku87

Drives: Black HB
garbage. get the type-xs. ;)

just playing. anything really is an upgrade from the stock.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
no need for rear speakers,especialy if your system is going to be amped,such a small space you will get cancellation going on and actually lose volume and clarity.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #14
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

^
Yeah, actually a lot of people strongly prefer a 2 channel system for music.

It's not like a home theater system which has specifically recorded channels for rear and/or side surround channels.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself really liking the 2 channel setup a lot.

When you add a sub, I guess you could call it a 2.1 setup in home audio terms, but you get the picture. It'll sound really good, and flat out murder the stock shit all day long.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
Since this thread is basically over now that he's strayed from the original plan, I was wondering...regarding going with a 2 chan setup, doesn't that basically move your soundstage to the front of you? Is there a way to correct so that you will still be immersed in sound, or do you basically get left with a forward setup?

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
A front soundstage is the goal. My car is set up strictly for the driver only. It sounds terrible in the passenger's seat. Alot of people don't care about imaging and want to be surrounded by sound. Different strokes.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

^
Yeah. What he said.

It might not sound "terrible" from the passenger seat, but certainly backseat passengers don't get the FILL that rear speakers provide.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #18
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
kthx guys

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote