Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Yaris Subwoofer Box

One of the biggest advantages of having summers off, is that I can pursue my hobbies.

I started working on the subwoofer box for my Yaris. Here is what I have so far

Now this box is small, but the woofer manufacturer swears it will work. This box is (outside dimensions) small, it measures 15-inches long by 12-1/4-inches wide and 5-1/4-inches tall. I'll order the woofer tomorrow.

I still don't know how I wanna finish it. I'm thinking VHT Wrinkle Coat, but I would like to hear some suggestions.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
Is it designed to fit beneath the spare wheel cargo compartment cover, in its place?
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
Is it designed to fit beneath the spare wheel cargo compartment cover, in its place?
I didn't think about that. I'm gonna have to see if it will fit in there. I didn't have to double layer the top and bottom. That would have made it only 3-3/4-inches tall. I could knock out another box pretty quick if I need to. Hmmm

I was just going to put it in the back of the car and put a small amp somewhere out of the way.

I don't have to be back at work until August 17th, I still have time

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I bought a $30 box at walmart, and put it behind the passenger seat, on top of a folded down split rear seat. I like it, it doesn't take up space.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Ranger SVO

I have access to a reasonably well equipped woodshop. So I would rather build it myself.

Still thinking about how I wanna finish it.

Giordano Bruno
Old 07-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Duplicolor bed liner spray. 2-3 coats of that and you will have a fairly durable, scratch/ chip resistant (not proof) finish. Its what I do when I can't afford to have Line-X spray my boxes with the real stuff.

Good construction... It's always nice to see somebody make a good quality box... 1.5" baffle FTW! I'm a bit skeptical about the tuning tho. That box can't be much more than .8cubes... 1cube at the most...(too lazy right now to figure it out). Port is a few inches long, but there is a flare which increases the tuning, and there is a lot of port area... I'd be surprised if that box is tuned below 50hz.

What sub?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #7
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Looks very interesting, yes I'm curios about the sub too (and the company).

Good job!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
Duplicolor bed liner spray. 2-3 coats of that and you will have a fairly durable, scratch/ chip resistant (not proof) finish. Its what I do when I can't afford to have Line-X spray my boxes with the real stuff.

Good construction... It's always nice to see somebody make a good quality box... 1.5" baffle FTW! I'm a bit skeptical about the tuning tho. That box can't be much more than .8cubes... 1cube at the most...(too lazy right now to figure it out). Port is a few inches long, but there is a flare which increases the tuning, and there is a lot of port area... I'd be surprised if that box is tuned below 50hz.

What sub?

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Anyone ever use the structure of the rear seat to mount a sub? To save valuable rear hatch space, etc?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
Ranger SVO

The woofer is an Earthquake SWS-10. It was ordered today and I should have it by Friday. Also, this is Not a port. Earthquake calls it a Horn Load. The only question I have (and I emailed Earthquake Techsupport) is "will this really work". They assured me it would.

Here is a link to the .pdf directions for the SWS woofer.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/IMAGE...sws_manual.pdf

1. My box is 3/4-inch not 5/8 like in the directions
2. Both the baffle and the bottom is 1-1/2-inches thick
3. My box has slightly more internal volume than the directions. (I did email Tech Support before I built it)

I did do some research on the net about this type of design. I have found that horn loads are used mainly for concert type performances, where filling huge areas with sound is a must. However, I am unable to find any mathmatical models for a box this small, so I have no way of simulating the performance of this design.

I will know next weekend whether I like it or not.

Duplicolor BedLiner, good idea, Thanks

Giordano Bruno

Last edited by Ranger SVO; 07-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Talnlnky should be able to lend some insight to the enclosure...
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Ranger SVO

The woofer came in today and I decided that I still have more work to do.

I will need to router the woofer mounting area so that the woofer will mount flush. I really don't like this "laying on top of the box" look. So, I'm still a few days out on finishing.

Giordano Bruno

Last edited by Ranger SVO; 07-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Well at least it looks loud.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Alien Mantis
Secret Agent

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
I agree, sink that puppy flush.

You should carpet that box, but that's just me. I'm old-skool like that.

Those subs have a long advertised stroke. Let us know how it sounds.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHatch08 View Post
Well at least it looks loud.
It does look loud, but I'm not about loud. I just want to improve the overall sound in the Yaris. But don't get me wrong, loud would be a major plus.

Not sure what I was thinking, when I went to the shop (its a car audio shop) to pick up my woofer, I could have taken my box. I could have hooked it to their demo board and checked it out.

Monday or Tuesday, I'll run by the shop (they let me have access to their woodworking equipment), router the box and test it to see how it works.

Giordano Bruno
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
hmm... i'll look at the PDF later... As far as the horn load... Ok, I can see that, I though you were just trying to have a flared port design. Horn Loaded woofers like you said usually you want to follow a formula to determine the length and rate of expansion for the intended frequency response.

AFAIK horn size is mostly effected by frequency desired, tho there also might be minimum neck openings for given sizes of speakers (to make sure you don't get wierd chuffing/port noise type sounds.

I once made a horn loaded 15" sub from a design that was supposed to play down to 30hz. The sealed chamber for the 15" was dinky, probably about 1.5cuft (the sub normally would be in about a 2.5-5cuft sealed box). The horn however wrapped around that sealed chamber, and the final dimensions of the box were about equivalent to a 10cuft box.

I'd think that the horn on that box would reinforce some fairly high notes... but who knows.... it may work well. There are a millions variables in acoustics. Things don't always work like you'd think they should. I once made a giant cylindrical Home Theater sub using a 15" sub and 18" & 8" sonotube. The design was supposed to be ported 7.5cuft @ 16hz. Due to the size of my port (I had a huge port area)... I think in actuality I ended up with something inbetween a transmission line & a ported box.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
as far as finishing it, here is an idea....i wrapped my box in the Neffy Carbon Fiber fabric that Garm sells. it looks real clean.
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
Ranger SVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
I'd think that the horn on that box would reinforce some fairly high notes... but who knows.... it may work well. There are a millions variables in acoustics. Things don't always work like you'd think they should. .
Well, Earthquake says it should work. But I'm like you, I wanna hear it. If it doesn't sound the way I want it to, I can knock out a ported box pretty quick.

I still have plenty of time (I'm a math teacher, I don't go back to work until August 17th)

Giordano Bruno