Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Yarus Maximus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5-dr auto
question about the cold engine light

Does the light mean I have to idle the engine until it disappears for optimal performance/longevity? Even on hot summer days it takes a good 30-45 seconds for it to turn off. That is quite a bit of fuel each morning.
Yarus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
No. If it is real cold I may wait 30 seconds before driving off.
I believe the manual indicates not to wait.
My Scanguage indicates the cold LED goes off at around 130 degrees water temperature.
Also if you have an Automatic. It will not shift into 4th until the LED goes out.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I agree with BLH-just drive easy until the engine is warm-no need to idle.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
It's just warning the engine is not up to operating temperature yet and to drive gently till it's off. I forget the exact number, but pretty much anything under 120 degrees is considered cold to and engine, so outside air temps. have little effect other than shorting the engines internal warm-up time.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
ChilliwackGuy
WCOAST CANADIAN DRIVER!!!

Drives: 2010 Hatch 5DR - AUTO/AC
Just drive away at a reasonable speed - mine has been starting off at "cold" for the past 2 months - an dit's only 2 months old! The "cold" warning fades within 30-180 seconds.
ChilliwackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
You should wait until your motor is warm or in this case the cold marker light disappears. Remember your oil needs to be warm as well as the motor to flow correctly. I dont see any problem with turning the engine on and putting the car in first gear or in drive, just let the light go away before punching the gas so you dont have problems in the future. Holla.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Go by what the manual says. Since Toyota doesn't want to cover a bunch of warranty claims, if it hurt the engine to drive the car before the engine was warm the manual would tell you to wait. Drive it normally. Unless your driveway is at the end of a short freeway on-ramp, the light should be out before you need to do any hard acceleration.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
drive normally, try not to wail on it

but do not expect an auto tranny to shift to OD until after the light is
out for 30 seconds. it will stay in 3rd
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
dimsum69

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
You should wait until your motor is warm or in this case the cold marker light disappears. Remember your oil needs to be warm as well as the motor to flow correctly. I dont see any problem with turning the engine on and putting the car in first gear or in drive, just let the light go away before punching the gas so you dont have problems in the future. Holla.

Most engines get up to proper op temp faster by simply driving for obvious reasons. Idling your car and waiting will just cause you to use more gas during your warm up and add to pollution if you care.

You won't be harming the engine by just turning on and going on your way, like most ppl said, just don't bag on it. You're probably doing more good since your getting things up to proper operating temp so the car can run as intended sooner then later
dimsum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Are we all in that much of a hurry that we can't wait 30-45 second before we drive off? Many people seem to expect too much from an EC engine anymore and perhaps they wont be happy until they can get an all electric car and they can just insert a key and drive off.

BTW, I once had a (1976) MGB. The engine would not even idle properly until it warmed up for a couple of minutes. That was the way it was set up and it was completely normal. Now we can't wait a few seconds?
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Are we all in that much of a hurry that we can't wait 30-45 second before we drive off? Many people seem to expect too much from an EC engine anymore and perhaps they wont be happy until they can get an all electric car and they can just insert a key and drive off.

BTW, I once had a (1976) MGB. The engine would not even idle properly until it warmed up for a couple of minutes. That was the way it was set up and it was completely normal. Now we can't wait a few seconds?
I agree my dude, waiting a couple of mins is nothing, and better for your engines life.
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Here are a few articles on this subject:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/ask-o...e-warm-up.aspx
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.374f73f.html
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
I agree my dude, waiting a couple of mins is nothing, and better for your engines life.
With modern engines, waiting a few minutes isn't saving your engine.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post

no, i just do what it says in the manual...
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #15
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
With modern engines, waiting a few minutes isn't saving your engine.
What is so special about a "modern engine" that it no longer needs any sort of warm up, even for a minute?
Some modern engine's parts are still designed to fit together properly only when the engine is at full operating temp,.
The only thing that is different with today's engines in they have modern electronic control for fuel injection , etc . This makes an engine run good even when very cold giving some a false sense of security when starting off.

All the aticles about not warming up your enging has to do with wasting a bit of gas, not wether or not it can potentially harm it if you don't

It is still prudent to warm it up a bit, how long should be determined by ambient temp. Would you turn the key and imediatly take off if the car was sitting outside in 10 degree temp?
Often, a bit of common sense can go a very long ways.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-22-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #16
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
no, i just do what it says in the manual...
The manual was witten by marketing for the masses who can barely pump their own gas.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Ahhh you're right. I apologize. I forgot about the whole "toyota manuals conspiracy." I stopped putting oil in my car once I figured out they were just trying to get money out of me.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
Quaifer

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
The majority of engine damage occures when you start your engine. Waiting a few minutes before you drive won't make a difference.
Quaifer is offline   Reply With Quote