Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
colpumpkinnuts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
So, I'm going to drill some holes in my roof...

I just ordered some parts so I can install a Yakima roof rack on my 2008 Yaris hatchback. I'm planning to install Yakima Control Towers via the Landing Pad 7 bases. This will require me to drill 2 holes in the roof per tower. Then I'll install the blind fasteners that come with the bases so I can bolt them into the roof. My question is: How do I ensure that I don't drill into something important? I know there are antennae wires and wires for the dome lights running above the headliner. After looking at the repair manual for the car it looks like I'll be able to avoid those wire but I'd like to be sure about this. Has anybody pulled the headliner before?
colpumpkinnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
These should help:

Roof Structure.jpg

Rear Roof.jpg
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Perfect timing!

I'm thinking about getting the Thule TP54 that attaches through holes drilled in the roof.

CTScott,
Can you tell me if there is thicker metal just to the inside (toward center) of the channel with the black strip in it that would hold fasteners better? Particularly the expanding nuts that Thule uses if you are familiar with them. I see a part with trapazoidial tabs alond the sides in your photo but can't tell where it is in relation to that channel down the sides of the roof.

Thanks,
-Mark

colpumpkinnuts,

Why not one of the rail systems? Seems to me it would spread the load better on what seems like very thin metal and allow you to adjust the position of the cross bars. Also, if you want to remove the rack, you would just have some factory looking rails left behind.

Thule TP54

Yakima 54" tracks

Last edited by dingbat; 08-10-2010 at 10:30 PM.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Under the black strips there is two layers of metal. The trapezoids are directly below the black strips and they are part of that strip that adds an extra layer to the outer edge of the roof.

By the way, for those with curtain airbags, they are mighty close to that area, so drilling there could be hazardous.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
CTScott,

You are the man!

Thank you,
-Mark
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
I think I'll get the removable rack with the extension kit, I have curtain airbags and I don't want to mess those up. Thanks again CT Scott,
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Just finishing up my Yakima tracks. I got a schematic of the roof from the local dealer and scaled it up to get a pretty accurate idea of where the cross braces were. Anyway, the process is really easy and the finished appearance is awesome. I'll post a couple of pics when the last track is down.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Under the black strips there is two layers of metal. The trapezoids are directly below the black strips and they are part of that strip that adds an extra layer to the outer edge of the roof.

By the way, for those with curtain airbags, they are mighty close to that area, so drilling there could be hazardous.
I'm gonna install the Thule tracks as well... so Scott if I go inside of the black strips I should be clear of the side curtain airbags correct?

Thanks,
MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by myt View Post
I'm gonna install the Thule tracks as well... so Scott if I go inside of the black strips I should be clear of the side curtain airbags correct?

Thanks,
MYT
I believe so, but if I had one with curtains, I would still peek up there before drilling to be absolutely sure.

Does your 07 actually have curtain airbags?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #10
myt

Yep! It does... marked on all the side pillars. Is their a DIY where I can see how to remove my roofliner? I've never done it before...

MYT
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
colpumpkinnuts

Thanks for all of the replies and especially the pics. My car doesn't have side airbags so I don't need to worry about drilling into those. The reason I'm getting a rack is because I'll be purchasing a kayak in the next month or two and will need a way to transport it.

Dingbat- I called up Yakima and they suggested just using landing pads rather than tracks. They will be cheaper and easier to install as well. I don't see myself needing to move the mounts around as I don't think I'll be putting much stuff on the roof anyways. I'll only be putting the kayak up there. The rack can be removed leaving behind just the landing pads and the covers they come with.

MYT-If you download the service manual for your car from this site, it will show you how to take down you headliner. It looked pretty daunting to me, hence my original post. Maybe CTScott can give you some tips.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
JonS

I think that page 59 of this link shows that the side curtain airbag wiring is not located in the roof:
http://www.etimago.com/yaris/repairmanual/EWD.pdf
Old 08-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
myt

Thanks for the input fellas. Colpump. I want to install a rack for the same exact reason, I already have a kayak and hate having to depend on the wife to lend me the truck to get out on the water! LOL. I might take a look at the landing pads... I'm just trying to think how I can ensure that I get them even.

MYT
Old 08-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #14
JonS

Finished up a couple of days ago. It's a super easy project...just be sure of your measuring. Measure the width of the roof for and aft, then center the tracks. I assembled the bars to the towers once I had the rear screws in, then used that rigid setup to keep everything true as I moved forward. I made some tie down brackets, too, to keep the bow and stern lines from rubbing against the paint. I'll post a shot with the kayak tomorrow.
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0739.jpg (305.7 KB, 1071 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0740.jpg (223.8 KB, 1051 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0741.jpg (225.0 KB, 1036 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0738.jpg (217.6 KB, 1038 views)

Last edited by JonS; 08-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
colpumpkinnuts

JonS, those are great looking mounts. I used a piece of 1" nylon webbing I use for climbing to make a mount that attaches under the hood. When it's needed, just pull it out from under the hood and then I'll have a tie down point for the bow of the boat and I won't have to worry about scratching the paint. I just got the landing pads this weekend, got control towers off ebay and now I just need cross bars. I may end up just buying my own steel tubing and painting it. $70 for the Yakima parts is just ridiculous. Right now I'm in for $180 exactly for my rack. I ought to be able to keep the total price under $250.

myt, I'm probably going to put some masking tape on my roof so I can draw on it with a marker. Then I'm planning to carefully measure from different points on the roof. Then I'll check it again before I drill any holes.

As far as a boat goes, it looks as though I'll be picking up a Perception Essence 17 in September. A local kayak shop sells off their rental boats at the end of the year and I can get a good deal. It also leaves me plenty of time to get the roof rack sorted out. I'll try to get some pics posted when I do the install.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
JonS

Wow, $180 so far is awesome. I couldn't wait so I got my stuff off RackAttack and think it cost me around $550 for everything. A local shop wanted $450 just to mount the tracks, so I don't feel too bad, since I saved all that money.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
colpumpkinnuts

By just putting landing pads on the roof without a track, I'm saving about $150. I just won an ebay auction and I got some used cross bars for $57 shipped. So I'm at $237 total so far.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
JonS

Well, I made the first trip to the bay today and didn't end up leaving the boat in the middle of an intersection, so I guess the rack works!!! Here she is loaded up. It's just a hair under 15 feet. Anyhooters, you'll be glad when yours is all set up and you're moving down the road, especially for how little it ended up costing you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0761.jpg (239.9 KB, 1004 views)