Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: MAZDASPEED3 or SUBARU IMPREZA WRX?
Zoom zoom zoom, get the MAZDASPEED3 in velocity RED! 17 48.57%
SUBIE all the way, AWD FTW! 18 51.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
MAZDASPEED3 vs. SUBARU IMPREZA WRX

I've been thinking about giving up my Yaris and getting myself a new toy I've been doing a lot of reading and research and I'm still not sure which one would be the best choice for me. If money weren't an issue I'd get the WRX STI Special Edition and call it a day. But money is an issue and the STI (SE or not) is almost $10k more than the standard WRX. And most of the time I'd be driving in boring traffic. Yes, the WRX is faster, but Mazda has the better gas mileage. The Subie has the AWD, but Mazda seems to be a bit more reliable overall. Less parts, less things that can go wrong, right?

What do you think, you enlightened ones? Help me out!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
Personally, I like the look of the speed3 over the WRX. But if you want a powerhouse then the subi is the way to go
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
I'm in MD so I would go with the Subie, great in the snow.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
MS3 have a limit, most people throw rods with a GT28 on there. and they use a K04 for a stock turbo, theyre great but theyre very tempermental.

You honesly won't be dissapointed with the WRX and the fan base for them and their modability...
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
LOL coincidentally I am wearing my shirt from Mazdas zoom zoom live event I got a couple years ago.

I test drove all their cars they had out for their lineup including the MS3 which i ebraked to not slide into cones and the RX-8 which i have a vid of me doing a course if i can find it. Out of all the cars there.... The CX-7 Turbo was my favorite. Regardless. The RX-8 lacked power and you had to rev the piss out of it to make any, it had good handling though, but i felt like i was driving a Honda. Nice looking car though, I liked the doors.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
what year wrx are you looking at? because i had the same options, and chose the wrx, and i am loving the everloving crap out of my choice... and believe me, once you get used to the sound of spool, you won't wanna do without... my 02 is averaging around 20ish mpg, but i spend a lot of time using my gas pedal as an on/off switch

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Mazdaspeed3 for me. Styling opinions aside, the Mazda is a terrific car - fast, great handling, well-equipped car for ~$22K.

I considered the WRX, but it was hard to ignore the performance value of the Mazda, which felt quicker to me. Mileage between the WRX and the 'Speed3 is so close that it's a wash. The STI is so expensive that I would consider it a totally different car and not comparable. If you live in a snow area, factor in the cost of winter wheels/tires (I'm looking at ~$1,300) if you get the Mazda.

It's your money and your decision. Choose what's fun for you and doesn't drive you to the poorhouse. Despite what you may hear/read, neither car holds its value well so consider this as well. I would resist the urge to mod since these are pretty potent cars in stock form.

EDIT: I've owned a '04 WRX, by the way. Nothing against the Subaru...
ANOTHER EDIT: Oops, just noticed - I assume you don't get much snow in San Jose!

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
fmicle

I am looking at 2010, for both the Mazda and the WRX. On their respective websites, the mazda is rated at 263 HP and the WRX at 265 HP. Every professional review I read said that you get more bang for your buck with the Mazda, interior is classier, but yeah the WRX has AWD which is great in any weather conditions.

We only get rain around here and even that only about half the year :) but I am thinking about moving to Austin, which won't change the average snow precipitation I see by much :)

As for the 2010 MS3, they redesigned the suspension, the reviews I read said the 2010 handles much better than the previous models, they actually rated the Mazda higher than the WRX in handling. They have cone slalom thing and the Mazda was faster than the WRX and the Mitsu Ralliart. and that was a 2008 MS3 I think.

Last night I watched a comparison of the 2010 MS3 with the 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe (the V6 version) and they said yeah you can do powerslides with the Genesis, but the Mazda is way faster and more fun to drive...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
sti is not worth 10 grand.

mazda is ford...you may as well buy a focus...

get the wrx...it's badaxx
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
fmicle

Ford only owns 13.4% of Mazda nowadays and if you tell me which Focus model has a turbo engine I'll take a look at it

If this were Europe, it would be a different story, but the models that Ford sells around here are lame. Except for the GTO of course
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Yup, it has to be the MS3. Same real-life performance with a more wallet-friendly set-up and a nice understated stance.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #12
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
I am in the market for a wrx. An older one for winter. I can get rid of the yaris and get a new one but the mpg's.... My work is 30 minutes away and I just think i will feel like an idiot if I give up the yaris.
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Both nice cars. For the street, I guess the Mazda might be fun and for hobby rally it would be good. In Cali I cant see where the awd would be any advantage for you unless A) your gonna put alot more power thru it or B) (and I dont mean this as a dis)You need the awd to make up for lack of driving skills, which is usually the case..
On a normal daily basis the Mazda would be a more economical car to buy and own. Only at the fringe ,and first 50 of a start would the awd be an advantage.
Just my.02 cents and not meant to offend your skillz,lol
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Don't forget about torque steer in a high horsepower front wheel drive car. If your going to mod it, it may be hard to get traction after a certain point. You wouldn't have that problem with a AWD. Anyone buying either of these cars is buying them for the performance aspect, but MPG may be lower with the WRX ( the weight of the AWD system)
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'd have to go with the 2.0 Rspec Hyundai Genesis over both of the cars. The Hyundai might be a bit slower than the MS3 but atleast it's rwd, not wwd (Wrong Wheel Drive).
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I wouldn't touch the MS3. Yep, it is a cool car, no doubt about that. But the tourque steer is pretty bad. Yes, it is better, but it use to make the car almost undrivable.

Plus, if you want to mod, you simply cannot beat the Subie community. The WRX is not much slower than the STI, and with a few inexpensive mods, it can be made to be much, much faster.

AWD is much, much more than just for bad weather. AWD helps a car handle better in all situations, including 100% dry roads.

In my mind in that price range it is hard to beat the WRX.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #17
Fenrizwolf
I used to have more posts

Drives: '10HyundaiTucson'07Impreza
edited so as not to hijack

Last edited by Fenrizwolf; 09-03-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Fenrizwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I just reviewed the MS3. I loved it. Yes, there's a lot of torque steer, but you just gotta hang on! If you don't need or want AWD, then this is a great sport-compact option.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...d-3-great.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote