Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #1
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
questions on performance springs

Looking for a set of springs for my yaris but don't really care about slamming the car. I don't want to go coil overs but I would like to get coil springs. I understand ill need matching shocks not an issue. I just want to know what would be a good choice (megan racing, tanabe, tein, vogtland, h&r,eibach, etc) Some of those companies don't release spring rates so its hard to compare them to each other so i'm just looking for a little guidance on how they compare stiffness wise and such.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Their is quite the assortment of springs to choose from, isn't there? I really enjoyed the Aoe TigerTecs but I wanted to be a little bit lower, so I ended up going with the Tein S-techs. I couldn't be happier. The handling improved quite a bit, the ride is pretty good but sometimes it tends to be a little soft/bouncy. A bit different feeling than the Aoe's as well because the Aoe's are 4k up front, 3k in the rear. The Teins are 3k up front, 3.5k in the rear. So the Aoe's tend to promote a bit of understeer whereas the Teins promote a bit of oversteer.

Just go with what you have in mind you want to use your for, you can't go wrong with any of the spring choices :)
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
I love my teins & tk blues, the tk reds are a good buy too but you have to play with the settings till you find a happy medium. even with the teins I get understeer but that is normal with a front wheel drive car. I say go with tein because you don't want to be dropped and bouncy IMO. I also left the front bump stops in place so I don't rub or anything when I hit a pothole or go over a bad speed bump. My front is a 1" gap and the rear is a .5" gap after all settled and I couldn't be happier with the look and feel.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
nightstalker

Drives: 08 yaris lb
I'm not to sure but I think u need to get struts to because the stock sturts will wear down rather quickly
nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I think for inexpensive wise, the MI springs are a great choice to go with, and the Blues have always gotten rave reviews for shocks.

The MI springs are identical to the AOE's Detroiter talked about.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I understand about replacing the shocks and struts. Im very familiar with modding cars but am not used to having a lack of information from manufactures. Most of the offerings ive seen dont list what spring rates they have and the shock choice is pretty slim. Adjustablilty isnt a concern since this is my dd car.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Try here: has spring rates listed. http://shop.microimageonline.com/Springs_c19.htm

I've been running Tanabe DF210's with stock struts/shocks for over 60,000 miles. No problems so far and I love the ride & ride height.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
An MI thread dedicated to spring rates

http://www.microimageonline.com/foru...t-Spring-Rates
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

something else I was looking at, who here runs the hr coilover springs and how well do they work?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
IMO the TRD package (1.5" drop springs, dampers and rear anti-sway bar) works like a dream and takes any guesswork out of mix and match components. Works great for a DD and can still be loaded up for family vacations without any scrapin' and grindin'.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
ctrj

Drives: 07 Yaris Sdn, 97 4Runner
I'm on Progress springs and Tokiko blue shocks. The ride is definitely stiffer than stock but not too bad. This is a car that I drive 90 miles a day to/from work on the 57. It's not slammed either. I have 195/55-15's and they are a perfect match for the drop. My wife doesn't like riding in the car much, but she has her own car and this is my commuter, so she doesn't have to ride in it much.

If you are getting new wheels, I would recommend you take a look at Goodwin Racing's website. They have a ton of wheels available that are lightweight for a good price.

ctrj is offline   Reply With Quote