Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
A1phazu1u

Drives: Black 07 Toyota Yaris Sedan
SC vs. Turbo

whats gonna get me more horse power? and whats gonna be easiest to install. I'm already leaning towards the blitz super charger, but i have no idea what kind of results ill get. I've looked through the forums but have only founds bits and pieces of info. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
A1phazu1u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
xixarchangelxix
The Unicorn

Drives: 2006 Yaris 5D HB
A turbo setup will allow for more horsepower, a supercharger will be easier to install.

The issue with the supercharger is that you need to spend a fair amount of horsepower to gain a little. They are known for their parasitic power loss since they are powered off off the crankshaft of the engine (much like the power steering pump, AC compressor, etc.). In my personal opinion, superchargers are really only practical in V8 and large V6 applications, though I'm sure others will disagree. The benefit they have over turbochargers is that they provide instant boost (which can cause traction issues in lighter vehicles depending on boost and road conditions) versus turbochargers which experience turbo lag (the amount of time it takes for the turbo to fully spool).

Turbochargers on the other hand are powered off of the vehicles exhaust and therefore aren't expending power to make more which makes them more efficient at creating power.

Both are generally in the same price range when all is said and done. It really depends on how much extra power you're looking to achieve. If you want just a bit more pep and nothing more, then a supercharger may be your best choice (though a turbo will also provide just a little extra power at lower boost levels). If you're looking to substantially increase horsepower, then a turbo setup would be the better option. You can get the Blitz supercharger kit from Garm (Cali Yaris) and very shortly a turbo kit as well.

Last edited by xixarchangelxix; 10-20-2010 at 08:08 AM.
xixarchangelxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
^ Yep

Turbo lag really isn't an issue for our cars unless you use a totally inappropriate turbocharger. Also, a brand new blitz SC is going to cost more than a turbo setup (UNLESS you don't install it yourself).

Look at my Zage install guide. Most turbo installs will be similar, so if you think you can do that and you want to do that, get a turbocharger.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1phazu1u View Post
whats gonna get me more horse power? and whats gonna be easiest to install. I'm already leaning towards the blitz super charger, but i have no idea what kind of results ill get. I've looked through the forums but have only founds bits and pieces of info. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
On the Yaris a turbo will give you more power. As of today the highest hp S/C is 135-140hp (peterpoop). Turbo will give you 155-180hp (myself, Garm). Now this is with a stock engine. With a built engine you can do @ least 357hp (Garm)
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
also, you can tune turbo's with downpipes, exhaust, intake, blow-off valves, and tons of other stuff.

all you have on a roots style charger is a pulley...and it's really expensive and a PITA to intercool a roots...on a 4-cylinder any way. v-8's tend to pull it off due to the deep valley trays.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote