Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
toyota is going full-in synthetic soon?

if this is a repost, excuse me. but has anyone noticed that toyota is advertising that they will be using synthetic on future models? according to this: http://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-s...oil/chart.html
it still excludes yaris, but i thought that it was funny to see most cars in the dealership (including a scion xd i spotted) with a sticker stating that this will be standard. here are some of similar points made as advertised on the stickers placed on the cars:
http://www.toyota.com/owners/parts-s...il/detail.html

among other things, im curious if its the same filters used as for standard oil.

oh sorry for not snapping a pic :\
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Duck Hunter 117

Drives: 2010 3dr
lol... When did the prius become a 5 cylinder??

The filter used will be the same whether or not you are using synthetic or convention oil. The only time you might need a special filter would be if you were doing a extended drain of 25k or so.

I just did a used oil analysis on a 5k drain with Mobil 1 0w30 and it had plenty of life left in the oil however the Silicon was at 19 ppm against a maximum of 15 ppm so I'm glad I didn't go any further with the oil. I changed the air filter immediately even though the car is only at 15k and should have another 15k on the air filter.
Duck Hunter 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Hunter 117 View Post
lol... When did the prius become a 5 cylinder??

The filter used will be the same whether or not you are using synthetic or convention oil. The only time you might need a special filter would be if you were doing a extended drain of 25k or so.

I just did a used oil analysis on a 5k drain with Mobil 1 0w30 and it had plenty of life left in the oil however the Silicon was at 19 ppm against a maximum of 15 ppm so I'm glad I didn't go any further with the oil. I changed the air filter immediately even though the car is only at 15k and should have another 15k on the air filter.
Is silicon a brand? did you record your analysis online that you can link to? I read that some oil filters still need to be switched out at regular intervals as there are still contaminants in the oil, no matter if its synthetic and does not break down as fast. conversely, i would imagine toyota knows there stuff to back their 10k interval change.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Duck Hunter 117

Drives: 2010 3dr
Any oil filter on the market should last as long the factory recommended oil change interval. However, I would make sure to get a good quality filter, FRAM uses cardboard end caps that can collapse after a while. I would suggest using a standard Bosch (No need for the distance plus version), Mobil 1 (a little pricy but amazing quality), or my personal choice is the Purolator PUREone from Advance Auto Parts. If you order them online you can use the coupone code (BIG5) and get 3 for $10.

Here is a link to the oil analysis: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...15#Post2106215

Silicon is basically dirt. It usually indicates that the air filter is letting some stuff pass into the engine.
Duck Hunter 117 is offline   Reply With Quote