Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Drives: Yaris LB
I'm a doofus... need suggestions

A while back I had a friend that was selling some 6x9 speakers and I thought it would look cool to have them in the rear. So I took out the rear panels, cut some holes, destroyed the original speaker mounts, and got those suckers in there! I like the look... but they didn't exactly fit right.

The amp powering them is a JL Audio 4 channel and the speaker lvl input things are breaking... somehow. But it's like a broken wire inside the connection and I'm not going to buy more of their specific input connectors.

So the rear right speaker keeps cutting in and out. Really annoying. Got everything faded to front components now. Thinking I'll just take the rear speakers out if I can find someone that wants to buy them.

But I will have these gaping 6x9 holes that I cut into the side panels that I don't know what to do with now!!

Any suggestions? Ideas? Or if you just want to point and laugh...
wsladaritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Why not just keep the speakers and unhook them or get some speaker grills to cover those holes.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Just try and track down where the problem is, if its just a bad connection in the wiring or if it is the AMP itself.

Whenever you do something custom like that, you don't want to hackalack things apart unless they're easily replaceable and cheap.

Better thing would have been to buy a thicker sheet of plexiglass, make a template, cut it out with a router or dremel and then fit the new speaker into that and bolt it into the existing holes. I think they may even sell something like this on ebay now too.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
What model amplifier do you have? I am a JL audio dealer and probably have spare parts sitting around. If so I can send them to you free of charge. If not you could always use a line output converter to switch from speaker level to RCA.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #5
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

Really... I like your style Palmer! I don't remember which model it is. But I'll check it out tomorrow and get back with you. With pictures and hopefully a part number or something...

Altitude, after looking up some speaker grilles with the intent of just covering the holes up, I started thinking about maybe just finding some shallow mount... something. And actually making a sturdy real bracket to attach them to the body instead of the plastic. Thanks for the ebay idea Nexus!
Old 12-30-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1363004....html?tp=35782

^^ That's the one I have. Bought it off a fellow member from here a couple years ago. Didn't pay close to that price though :P

If I am correct I have isolated the problem to the speaker level input adapter.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136XDCL...W.html?tp=2610

After looking it up again I see that they are different now than what I currently have... and cheaper. Can you get those Palmer?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
That one is cheaper because it isn't a line out converter. It is just an RCA cable with one end cut off. The JL slash series of amplifiers don't need converters you just hook your speaker wire up to a set of RCA's and set the switch on the amp to high level input.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
wsladaritz
Y4R1Z

That's how I have set up now. I just thought I remembered them costing more for some reason. That was maybe 2 years ago now though.