Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Nodrog

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to Nodrog
audio advice

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some advice/opinions about my audio. In another post, I posted my Boss 7" DVD HU. It is currently connected to factory speakers (anyone know the wattage of factory speakers?), and will soon have a Boss 8" slim amplifed sub (http://www.BossAudio.com/main/649).
Now, my question to you all; I like my music, but I do not need a screamin', thumpin', sound deadened, car show extravagant setup. I may even just hold on to this car for 4 or 5 years. That said, does it make sense to replace the factory speakers and/or add an amplifier? The Boss HU is 85w X 4 peak. Is it silly to spend the money (budget is an issue and it would all be budget priced stuff) to enhance the sound in this way, or would I appreciate the upgrade enough for the 4 to 5 years and be happy I did it?
Thanks to any all who will chime in!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Are you paying 214 dollars for that Boss 8" slim amplifed sub ? If so bro, do some looking around. Your factory speakers are going to be around 10 watts RMS. Post the model number of your head unit, what's the RMS. You can probably get some 6.5's for your front doors and a decent pair of 6x9's for the rear deck and a four channel amp for around the price you're paying for that amplified sub. You could probably get a decent 10 or 12 inch sub and amp for your trunk area for i say around 200 bucks. After that you'll just need an amp kit which will be around 35 - 40 bucks. Price check on Amazon.com , Ebay, Sonic Electronix, and see if you find something that catches your eye.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Nodrog

Thanks for chiming in, S7v7n. I already have the sub, paid $107 on Amazon. Believe me, I had intensely shopped around before making the decision. Now I have intensely shopped around to look at speakers/amp setup, but haven't convinced myself that it'll be worth the money/time. That is why I have asked for opinions :)
My HU is the Boss BV9565BI, and states 85w x 4 peak but doesn't tell me the RMS. I'm guessing it's about half the peak? I'm sure it's better than the stock speakers are rated, but it's not like it doesn't work as it is.

Anyone else willing to offer advice/opinions?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Just don't get crazy with your volume, and the factory speakers will work okay. And bro did you read the reviews on Amazon about that unit ? Seems it likes to go into protection mode. http://www.amazon.com/BASS900-Profil...rBy=addOneStar

If i was going to build a budget system in that price range i'd go with this Kenwood amp that is 150 watts rms @ 4 ohms and this Fosgate sub

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KAC-52...888403&sr=1-15

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...6888578&sr=1-7

Then all you'd need is a single sealed enclosure.
Just an idea, for the amp and sub you're where you were at for that 8 inch in price.
You'd want to bridge that amp at 4 ohms to get the 150 Rms out the amp.

Boss BV9565BI
In-Dash 7" Double DIN Touchscreen Monitor w/ DVD, CD, MP3 Receiver, Bluetooth, USB and SD Card Port

In-Dash Receiver Specifications
Receiver Size Double DIN
Faceplate Security None
Motorized Faceplate Yes
Remote Control Yes
Peak Power Output 85 watts x 4 channels
RMS Power Output 17 watts x 4 channels
Preamp RCA Outputs 3 Pairs (Front, Rear, and Subwoofer)
Sub Preamp RCA Output Yes
Preamp Voltage 2 volts
Built-In Equalizer N/A
Display Type TFT-LCD Monitor
Display Color Full Color
Button Color Blue
CD Signal-to-Noise N/A
CEA-2006 Compliant No
Playback Features
AM/FM Tuner Yes
FM Presets 18
AM Presets 12
CD-R/RW Playback Yes
MP3 Playback Yes
WMA Playback Yes
DVD / Video Playback SDVD
DVD
MPEG-4
SVCD (MPEG-2)
DVD Region Number N/A
Monitor Screen Features
Touchscreen Yes
Monitor Screen Size 7"
Monitor Angle Adjustment N/A
Display Adjustment N/A
Expandability Features
Navigation No
AUX Input 1 Rear RCA Video Input
Audio/Video Outputs No
USB Input Rear
iPod Audio Connection Yes (Built-In/Included)
iPod Video Connection N/A
Satellite Radio No
HD Radio No
Bluetooth Connectivity Yes (Built-in/Included Bluetooth Controls, Adapter and Microphone Included)
Steering Wheel Control Compatible N/A
CD Changer Controls No
Rear View Camera Input Yes (Universal)
Memory Card Reader SD Card
Warranty and Return Policy
Return Policy Standard Return Policy
Parts Warranty Duration 1 year
Labor Warranty Duration 1 year
Warranty Provider Manufacturer

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 02-05-2011 at 01:58 AM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
Nodrog

So no one else wishes to offer advice or comments? I'm hoping for many different opinions here of people who have or have not upgraded the sound system or has opinions about my original post....
thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
centrysis

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Your factory speakers will sound better with the after market HU,but after market door speakers with an amp will sound ALOT better. If your going to have that car another five years.Do it.You'll be glad you did.
centrysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog View Post
So no one else wishes to offer advice or comments? I'm hoping for many different opinions here of people who have or have not upgraded the sound system or has opinions about my original post....
thanks!
Generally speaking a head unit, after market or not (unless it has a built in amplifier) won't properly power your speakers.

Most after market speakers require more power and are built with better quality than the originals (unless we're talking a Bose factory installed sound system).

I've got 6.5" Infinity's in the front which are 75W RMS - curently runing off a Pioneer head unit (it's not nearly strong enough to power them) I'm hoping to install an amp sometime soon.

I had a 12" sub in the trunk it was only 200W RMS but still gave a good thump and a 1 Farad capacitor - you can't get too power crazy with stock battery and alternator.
- Common myth: the capacitor is there to protect your battery. - no it's there so you get constant power to your amp and sub so you don't get clipping.

When looking at speakers, subs, output of head units, amplifiers a general rule of thumb to keep in mind, if they list "peak power" which will always look bigger - multiply the number by 0.707 (RMS)

ex. Head unit: 52 Watts Peak x 4 channels: 52W x 0.707 = 36.76W RMS (constant power). Again thats a perfect number assuming no power is lost to heat dissipation due to resistance and other factors.

I believe MTX lists the RMS and "actual" tested power of their amplifiers - not sure who else does. hope this is what you were looking for.
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Nodrog

Thanks centrysis and Vinceb.
I have decided to meet it halfway...I decided to add just enough for my listening pleasure, but not so much that I would regret spending the money or loosing the investment if/when the car is traded in. I going with speakers and amp that will provide about 50W X 4 rms. That way I get better sound than the 17W of the HU and 10W of the factory speaker, while addressing my original concerns of cost to time factor.
I'll let you know how it goes on the install that I will be DIY'ing following the info available in the forums.