Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Painting a set of wheels+tires

I bet must are like Tires? lol

This is the progress..

Last edited by JumpmanYaris; 02-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Sorry for the HUGE PICS
Old 02-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
big lo

Drives: 2007 VIOS
Sweet, but I'm upset bcuz I'm buying a set in 2 weeks but 19's bby, but I know its going to look hot on your ride, post pics when ur done
big lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
Sweet, but I'm upset bcuz I'm buying a set in 2 weeks but 19's bby, but I know its going to look hot on your ride, post pics when ur done
in White?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
big lo

Yes, and I'm going to do something different from all you will see
Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
What did you use to paint your Wheels?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #7
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Here is the exact order I did it
clean wheels plus sand em down,

Flat black matte anti rust for car parts 2 coats

Automotive gray primer 1 coat then sand it down with water and fine sanding paper

then white wheel paint 3 coats

and 3 clear coats of clear coating for wheels
Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
big lo

Talking

How many did you do at first? And how long did it take you? And when will we see the install, that's going to looooooookkkkkkk hhhhhhhhoooooottttttt!!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
Thank you for the info. They look very nice. Like Big Lo said. Post pics when you are done and have them back on the car. My wife has a Blue one and I am thinking about painting her Hubcaps White. She doesn't want mags. go figure..
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

I have to wait until it cures. You might not see em installed any time soon. so far is only one painted. It took me almost a day because I stopped and started doing something else and was a little lazy about it, I am not sure if to start on a second one tomorrow since I am off
Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #11
big lo

You lazy @#*&£ how can you leave us hangin like that lol, you get ur ass up early and finish the other 3 before the month is over lol, I had to say I want to see them on the ride already
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
kevin_logan

Drives: 2010 yaris sport aut.
Send a message via MSN to kevin_logan
Quote:
Originally Posted by big lo View Post
u going to sell urs???????
Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Well by the looks of it today won't be a day to be working on them its been raining since 4 with tornado warnings
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
big lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_logan View Post
u going to sell urs???????
Yes, K-Dog
Old 02-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Here is the exact order I did it
clean wheels plus sand em down,

Flat black matte anti rust for car parts 2 coats

Automotive gray primer 1 coat then sand it down with water and fine sanding paper

then white wheel paint 3 coats

and 3 clear coats of clear coating for wheels
I'm curious....
Why use "anti-rust" paint for aluminum? It is meant for steel ,and will (probably) not do your wheels any good at all.
Why not tape off the threads inside and outside of the valve-stem? As it is, you now have to change out the valve-stem, which will damage the paint around it.

Just curious.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #16
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Looks very nice. Prolly gonna do my steelies this weekend if the weather is warm enough.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #17
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I'm curious....
Why use "anti-rust" paint for aluminum? It is meant for steel ,and will (probably) not do your wheels any good at all.
Why not tape off the threads inside and outside of the valve-stem? As it is, you now have to change out the valve-stem, which will damage the paint around it.

Just curious.
Anty rust will help,

and i didnt tape em cus they are coming out and ill garantee u it wont damage the paint, is doesnt even touch around the edges