Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
alignment off?

I noticed it a few days ago on my way to work, about 3 days after getting my new wheels on. my car will go to the left just a little, but not always. It seems like a little deadspot in the steering, where i can set it and it stays there. Part of the time I can get it to go straight, or just to the right, but primarily to the left. I've checked my tire pressure, it's all pretty spot on. I haven't ran anything over or knocked anything. is there something i can adjust to help the steering re-center itself?
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
If you got heavier than stock wheels, I don't think you can do anything but center the steering wheel itself.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Switch the two front wheels
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
^what he said^

if the car pulls the the right after you switch the 2 front, its probably a separated tire.

To find out which one exactly, rotate one side front to back, test drive, see if anything changes, if not, do the other side. if it does, you found the bad tire.

It is possible to get a "bad" new tire. Rare, but it happens.

IF you switch the 2 front and it still pulls to the left, Id see about getting an alighnment checked.

Also, you mentioned, "Part of the time I can get it to go straight, or just to the right, but primarily to the left." This is a bit confusing though. Make sure your not confusing Road Crown to a pull left or right. most roads have grooves over time where the middle is higher then where the wheels usually drive on. so if your not dead center with the road, tires tend to wanna "pull" towards one side or the other. keep that in mind
Old 02-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
Geoff Peace

Drives: Yaris 1.33 litre 2011
If the situation is the same after switching the wheels, it may be caused by someone who has tracked the car and only adjusted one trackrod instead of both. Is your steering wheel centred? To check count the number of exposed threads on both trackrod inboard from the ends they should be the same, if not, the steering geometry of the car is out and the car is running crab. It will then pull sideways.
Regards Geoff Peace.
Geoff Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
mr_miles

I have directional tires, so swapping the two fronts isn't a good idea i think :p

it's not the road doing it, I wish it was. its like the freeplay in the steering wheel before it actually starts moving the tires is the cause. It'll center and go straight, but if you barely move the wheel, it'll stay where you moved it. This is kind of hard to explain, lol.

my steering wheel is not centered, but it has been pulled before and could have been put on crooked. i will check the trackrod threads also.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Geoff Peace

If you have directional tyres change front to rear. Is the steering stiff? i.e. is the power steering working OK. Steering wheel should be centred, otherwise the cancelling mechanism for the indicators will not operate the same to both sides. Check that your front and rear wheels turn OK, and that a brake is not binding somewhere.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Check your tire pressure first. Then run the tires a few hundred miles, they MAY need to set a wear pattern before they track straight.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
mr_miles

turns out my front passenger tire was toed a little off and cambered a bit, and the drivers side was cambered just enough to wear, but not enough to affect driving( other than my slight going left issue). they said the drivers side shock tower "floats" just a little, like less than 1 degree. would new suspension fix this?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Geoff Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
turns out my front passenger tire was toed a little off and cambered a bit, and the drivers side was cambered just enough to wear, but not enough to affect driving( other than my slight going left issue). they said the drivers side shock tower "floats" just a little, like less than 1 degree. would new suspension fix this?
The difficulty here is a language one, being on the other side of the Atlantic I do not understand the term 'floats' Do they mean that the top shock absorber mounting/bearing is worn? if so it requires replacement. Are the shock absorbers leaking? More precise information needed to help more.

Regards Geoff Peace.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
mr_miles

He didn't say much else about it, so I assume something that keeps it all in place lol. Going to look it all over and see what's loose.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Depending on the wheels, could be a scrub radius issue too.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
mr_miles

16x8 +0. I didn't think of scrub radius, and i don't really know how to manage all that, lol. I know its a few awkward imaginary angles, though :p