Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Start/Stop system

Hi YarisWorlders,

What is the Start/Stop system offered in the Yaris on other countries? From what I read in another post, it transfers power to batteries when one hits the brakes? Does this save a lot of fuel, I wonder? Why isn't this offered here in the America?
Thanks.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
because then nobody would buy a Prius? :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
In Europe enviromental issues are a big thing and fuel prices are staggering.

That's why car makers offer this kind of methods to reduce CO2 emissions (especially in urban areas and during traffic jams) and get a better mileage.

Our Yaris is the first car with a automatic gearbox offered with a stop/start system.

If you have a manual gearbox you have to put it in manual position and take your foot off the clutch and the engine is turning off. If you can drive again you only have to step on the clutch pedal and it starts very fast. If you have to wait too long the engine starts automaticly.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
bentjazz

Bredayaris,

Thanks. Wish we were given some of the same options that the rest of the world is given in terms of engine design. Gas prices are going north everywhere, so perhaps this will allow more options for Americans in the future. There are those of us who would be eager to buy ever increasing fuel efficient cars if they were only offered without having to rely on the hybrid technologies that are being shoved down our throats. Seems like this start/stop system is a real winner.....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
FWIW the southeast asian version of the Yaris is also still using these "low-tech" technologies... Which makes it fun to try and upgrade them anyway :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
Bredayaris,
. Seems like this start/stop system is a real winner.....

Nope. Independent testing shows little or no improvment in fuel economy.

Sounds like a good idea, but in practical use its a non starter.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

You can actually do it manually, it becomes second nature after a while... You can even turn off the ignition when coasting to a stop...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
bentjazz

eTiMago,
What kind of gas mileage do you get from your Yaris?

Bredayaris,
What kind of gas mileage do you get from your Yaris?

bronsin,
What kind of gas mileage do you get from your Yaris? I have an auto tranny, as well. Always interested to know what others are getting from their 1.5L 4cyl AT Yaris.....
Old 03-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #9
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
After 97,000 Kilometres, my FE is 6.14 Litres per 100 Kilometres. This is on a sedan with automatic and the 1.5L engine.
Roy
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #10
bronsin

Quote:
eTiMago,

bronsin,
What kind of gas mileage do you get from your Yaris? I have an auto tranny, as well. Always interested to know what others are getting from their 1.5L 4cyl AT Yaris.....
2009 auto car is driven almost exclusively 6.5 miles to work and back. ~34 mpg summer ~32 mpg this winter with block heater.

~28 mpg last winter very cold 15 degrees most nites.

top speed never exceepds 45 mph.

trying to get it down to 35 mph
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
bentjazz

Thanks Limo and bronsin.
Bronsin, I'm getting about the same with my lb Yaris auto. Seems like the manual tranny folks get better.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Thanks Limo and bronsin.
Bronsin, I'm getting about the same with my lb Yaris auto. Seems like the manual tranny folks get better.

Really. My 2001 ECHO manual got 40 mpg same conditions.

No alochol in fuel then though...
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

I averaged about 32MPG overall
But keep in mind most of my trips were extremely short and in traffic. But most of the time I drove in a fuel efficient manner, making use of DFCO, coasting with the engine off, etc... With sessions of normal to aggressive driving I'd see 28-30MPG

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
bentjazz

Thanks, eTiMago.
Branson, I love the old Echos. Tried finding one when I bought my 99 Corolla some years back, but no dice. I would have preferred the Echo over the Corolla any day. Would prefer the Echo over the Yaris, too. Just like the body style betta, and from what I've read it's more fuel efficient. Don't know why....
Old 03-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
bronsin

The Yaris weight 300-400 more pounds than the ECHO. There s your answer. But a five speed Yaris doest tlerably well.

Like everything else cars get bigger and fatter over the years. Last summer i was in a Honda dealership looking at new cars. The mpg rating for a V6 Accord on the showroom floor was 16 mpg.

I shit you not.

Honda Civics used to get 50 mpg too. Now they get 26.

My brothers 1983 Renault Alliance with 1300cc 80 hp engine got 53 mpg on a road trip we were on. We went about 70 mph.

Now if you want 53 mpg you have to spend $30,000 for a Prius with "modern technology".
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The echo also has different gearing and a different final drive as well. Also a cable throttle instead of electronic.