Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
New 2010 Yaris Sedan Owner

Hello guys!

First off, what a great forum, lots of DIY and pictures. I definitely found this to be informational and supporting website.

I'm a Honda guy, but I'm definitely excited to work on this simple car.

I will be picking up a used 2010 Yaris Sedan which comes with the Power Package, but no Cruise control.

1) Does the cabin filter come with a frame to house the actual filter or just slide in the filter?

2) I saw the DIY cruise control. For my vehicle, I need the D3 connector, the stalk and 3 wire pigtail correct? Nothing else?

3) Synthetic oil okay? I noticed that Toyota now changed 5W-30 to 5W-20 recently. Yaris part of this change?

4) Is the transmission fluid "lifetime" as suggested by Toyota? I'm planning to change it out anyways with the same fluid; Toyota ATF-WS. Do I need to buy a new filter and gasket? Please give me more personal experience on this.

Thank you! Looking forward to hear back.
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
09sedan

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
Welcome and congrats!

1) Does the cabin filter come with a frame to house the actual filter or just slide in the filter?
just slide the filter in , make sure it is the correct orientation

2) I saw the DIY cruise control. For my vehicle, I need the D3 connector, the stalk and 3 wire pigtail correct? Nothing else?

if its a 2010 with power package you should just be able to plug the CC stalk into the wheel after you take the airbag off, i have a 2009, i did it an easier way , i just spliced in 2 wires just before the d3 connector and got 2 push buttons and a resistor, been working fine for me (all at a cost of 3$)

3) Synthetic oil okay? I noticed that Toyota now changed 5W-30 to 5W-20 recently. Yaris part of this change?

yep, i use mobil 1 5w30 with a mobil 1 filter and change it every 5000 km

4) Is the transmission fluid "lifetime" as suggested by Toyota? I'm planning to change it out anyways with the same fluid; Toyota ATF-WS. Do I need to buy a new filter and gasket? Please give me more personal experience on this.

if you just drain and fill using the drain plug, you need about 3 liters of WS fluid, and no, if you drop the pan and replace the filter then its recommended to use a new gasket.i would drain and fill at 50k km, then at 100k i would drop pan and replace filter.(but thats just me im OCD about maintenance.
09sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
synthetic oil is great, people are running all sorts of different oils, depending on where they live and if they are trying to eke out the last mm of mpg.

There is simply no such thing as lifetime tranny oil. I noticed a gigantic difference when i had it changed at about 60k miles. People are using Royal Purple and Redline Transmission fluids and seem to be getting much smoother shifts.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
clarenceie

Drives: Yaris Sedan
The 2010 didn't work out, so I got a Flint Mica Yaris S Sedan. <3 ing it! High mileage, but it's a Toyota.

I've been reading around about transmission fluid in this forum. My main question for now is, what is the total fluid capacity of the automatic transmission?

I normally for the drain and refill aka diluting the atf fluid, but does anyone think using the tranny cooling lines to pump out the old fluid is good? I'll be following basically the same procedure as this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPA...eature=related
clarenceie is offline   Reply With Quote