Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Squeaky belt after pulley install?

Hey guys,

I have recently installed the NST water pump and alternator pulley's, along with the Micro Image light crank pulley, and ever since then whenever the engine warms up the belt/pulleys squeak as if they are loose.

I tightened the belt to the place where the OEM location was before I installed the pulley's, but it still squeaks. I've tried tightening it more but it still does it.
Are these pulley's just prone to this, or am I doing something wrong?
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Mine did not. New belt?
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can't tighten a belt based on position. You have to tighten it for deflection. In the middle of the long stretch, when the belt is properly tightened, you should only be able to move it about 1/2" when pressing on it with the tip of one finger.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Black_griffin6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can't tighten a belt based on position. You have to tighten it for deflection. In the middle of the long stretch, when the belt is properly tightened, you should only be able to move it about 1/2" when pressing on it with the tip of one finger.
So you think it's probably overtightened?
I need to take it in for a service tomorrow anyway, maybe the toyota tech's can tell me more about it.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
So you think it's probably overtightened?
I need to take it in for a service tomorrow anyway, maybe the toyota tech's can tell me more about it.
No, Under-tightened. Or, glazed due to running it loose before tightening it.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
or a pulley is over tightened? (though i don't know if thats possible with the alternator and water pump)
Old 06-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Black_griffin6

Not sure if this is any help or not, but it seems to only squeak when the engine gets hot. I'm thinking maybe it's the belt expanding with the heat?

I'm not sure...

The crank pulley was put on with an impact gun, the other 2 were with hand tools.
Everything sounds fine when I first start up the car, it's only after i've been driving it for a little bit and it gets hot that it starts to chirp and squeak.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_griffin6 View Post
Not sure if this is any help or not, but it seems to only squeak when the engine gets hot. I'm thinking maybe it's the belt expanding with the heat?

I'm not sure...

The crank pulley was put on with an impact gun, the other 2 were with hand tools.
Everything sounds fine when I first start up the car, it's only after i've been driving it for a little bit and it gets hot that it starts to chirp and squeak.
That is odd. Usually the worst time for squeaking is when the car is cold and the alternator and power steering are drawing a lot of current.

In my case with my supercharger, backing out of the garage I immediately know it is time to tighten my belt, but once moving I never hear the squeak.

With yours doing it when hot, it may just be a poor quality belt that stretches too much when warm.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Yea, I think maybe its a combination of there not being enough tension and a worn belt.. The fact that it does it when its warm, like CTscott said, is becuase its stretching and loosening up.. Try and tighten it up, I used a breaker bar wedged between the alternator and the block to put tension on the belt while I tightened the bolts down. If that doesnt fix it, I think you gotta try a new belt.
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Black_griffin6

Well thanks for your replies guys. ^.^ I appreciate the help.

Yeah, I was thinking it was a belt problem due to it only happening when it got hot.
I checked it to see if it was running okay when I first installed the pulleys and everything was fine, but now since it's happened i've noticed when it gets hot the belt squeaks.

I'll just get a new belt, if the belt I have IS bad then having it so tight probably isn't a good idea.
Thanks guys. ^.^
Old 06-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Black_griffin6

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update.

Turns out it was a bad belt. My belt was worn out apparently.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #12
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
Sounds about right. Glad you got your problem solved..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Gatorback FTW