Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Eren_13

Drives: Yaris SR '12
2012 indicator flasher relay

Hi everyone

I'm looking to change my front indicators to LEDs, is there anyone who can post a screenshot of where the indicator flasher relay is on their yaris? I have the 2012 shape SR if its any different. Looked in the handbook and can't seem to find anything there, unless I'm being a bit slow.. Also, are there any particular relays you've used that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Eren_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
For the 3rd gen Yaris it is actually built into the instrument cluster, so there is not a physical relay that you can change.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren_13 View Post
Hi everyone

I'm looking to change my front indicators to LEDs, is there anyone who can post a screenshot of where the indicator flasher relay is on their yaris? I have the 2012 shape SR if its any different. Looked in the handbook and can't seem to find anything there, unless I'm being a bit slow.. Also, are there any particular relays you've used that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
Turn signal LEDs only require inline load resistors to slow flashing to normal.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
Turn signal LEDs only require inline load resistors to slow flashing to normal.
On cars with a replaceable flasher relay it is better to replace the relay with one made to drive LEDs. The resistor method works, but wirewound resistors (the metal can type) must be used to prevent the risk of fire, as the resistors have to sink a lot of current (which makes them quite hot) in order to simulate the load of a bulb to keep the flasher circuit happy.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Eren_13

Thank you both for your replies.

I was afraid the flasher relay would be buried away seeing as though I couldn't find it in the book! I was looking at inline resistors, taking into account your second reply there CTScott - is it possible to have indicators with in built resistors or does the wire to the indicator require cutting to have these resistors fit?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you both for your replies.

I was afraid the flasher relay would be buried away seeing as though I couldn't find it in the book! I was looking at inline resistors, taking into account your second reply there CTScott - is it possible to have indicators with in built resistors or does the wire to the indicator require cutting to have these resistors fit?
I personally have not seen ones with built in resistors, as a proper resistor is almost as large as the bulb.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I personally have not seen ones with built in resistors, as a proper resistor is almost as large as the bulb.
Oh right, well that I didn't know, thanks :) Although its not a preferred method, do you know where I can get the suitable resistors to slow the flashing?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Oh right, well that I didn't know, thanks :) Although its not a preferred method, do you know where I can get the suitable resistors to slow the flashing?
Any electronics supplier should carry them (mouser.com for example, which has a UK presence). Here is an example of what proper ones look like:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...FdFT4Aod3VgAug

Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Eren_13

Thanks for the reply. I'll check those out. If no luck will the ones you just sent me in the link be ok? And checking the installation diagram it shows those blue clamps - do they take away the need to cut the wires? You'll have to forgive all my questions.

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I'll check those out. If no luck will the ones you just sent me in the link be ok? And checking the installation diagram it shows those blue clamps - do they take away the need to cut the wires? You'll have to forgive all my questions.

Thanks again.
The company in that link is fine, if you can't find them locally. They show them with a set of "tap splice" connectors, which are used to connect to an existing wire without cutting it. In the case of the turn signals, you would simply tap the power and ground wires going to the light socket on either side to insert the resistor in parallel with the LED. That way you are not cutting the wires, and if you ever wanted to go back to stock you would just put a piece of electrical tape over the spot where the tap splice cut into the insulation of the wire.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Eren_13

You've been a massive help! Ok, so I think I have found some resistors local to me. They are the same value as the one in the link- 50w 6ohm, in a gold case too with tap splices. Ok, one more question (I think), will any LED indicator work with these now or are there certain voltage or output value indicators that work with these resistors?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
You've been a massive help! Ok, so I think I have found some resistors local to me. They are the same value as the one in the link- 50w 6ohm, in a gold case too with tap splices. Ok, one more question (I think), will any LED indicator work with these now or are there certain voltage or output value indicators that work with these resistors?
Any LED lamp will work with the resistors (provided that it is a replacement for the OEM bulb type).

One thing to remember when you do an LED conversion is that the fast flash is a safety thing that lets you know that a bulb is burned out, and since the resistor keeps the system happy, you won't know if an LED is out. So, routinely take a peek to make sure that they are OK.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Eren_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Any LED lamp will work with the resistors (provided that it is a replacement for the OEM bulb type).

One thing to remember when you do an LED conversion is that the fast flash is a safety thing that lets you know that a bulb is burned out, and since the resistor keeps the system happy, you won't know if an LED is out. So, routinely take a peek to make sure that they are OK.

Noted. Many thanks for all your help. I've purchased the resistors and bulbs. May well post up a short video of them when it's done if anyone is interested!
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
Eren_13

Ok, got the resistors and LEDs. Tried to attach them but good old British weather - it's just started raining. Anyhow it gives me a chance to ask if it's advisable to disconnect the battery as I attach the splice tabs or if it's ok to go straight on?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, got the resistors and LEDs. Tried to attach them but good old British weather - it's just started raining. Anyhow it gives me a chance to ask if it's advisable to disconnect the battery as I attach the splice tabs or if it's ok to go straight on?

Thanks.
No need to disconnect the battery, since there will not be power to the turn signal bulbs while you are installing the resistors.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Eren_13

Thanks once again sir :) I only have 2 wires on each bulb socket, one is green and the other white. Am I right in thinking that there will be no polarity issues with these resistors?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks once again sir :) I only have 2 wires on each bulb socket, one is green and the other white. Am I right in thinking that there will be no polarity issues with these resistors?
Correct - The resistors are not polarized, but the LED bulbs will likely be. The green wire is positive and the white is ground.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
Eren_13

Well, that's been very helpful. Clipped on perfectly, one thing, the indicator wire seems too small to fit in the splice clamp! It just goes straight through the middle of it. I guess the taps are too wide?