Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
socko

Drives: 07' Liftback, man., Bayou Blue
spoiler/air deflector

I'm in a rural area . . . lots of dust. My liftback sucks up a lot of dust on the hatch rear window. I understand that this happens because the air flow over the roof creates a vacuum at the back. Air deflectors made for SUV's or what used to be called "station wagons" deflect some of this air downward to counter the vacuum effect. But does a spoiler help with this problem? Seems to me that its purpose is to cause some resistance to air flow thus more pressure to keep rear wheels in contact with road surface for better traction at high sppeds. In normal driving spoilers seem to be purely cosmetic. Would appreciate some advice.
socko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by socko View Post
In normal driving spoilers seem to be purely cosmetic.
There ya go! You got it...

I don't have a dust problem, but the back of my hatch seems to get dirty really fast. I do a lot of highway driving on wet roads, and when the car dries, there's a lot of dust/dirt on the back.

I know what you mean about the deflector things that they used to have on american station wagons. Never seen anything for the Yaris.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote