Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
maxthehax

Drives: Echo HB Turbo 6Speed
I think my fuel system is dead&gone :P

Needed a towing service last night :P

Was on highway, AF suddentely become very lean and I had no more accelleration/power :P I had to pull aside the road and the car stalled!

It won't start anymore, well not for more than couple seconds, and this only when I see a bit of fuel.

When tuning; Approaching 6k rpm with +99% more fuel in the map table the AF was still getting more and more lean from 11.5:1 at 5k to 12.9:1 at 6k WOT, it was way too lean for a WOT high rpm... I think I was pushing this stock fuel system too hard haha

Now I need to enter the big project!

AEM EMS-4 standalone
Complete new fuel system

Last edited by maxthehax; 05-29-2013 at 07:14 PM.
maxthehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
did you run out of gas?

But really, figure out what failed exactly before you start replacing things. Could be several simple causes.

Walbro pump, fuel rail, pressure regulator/gauge, return line, no more fuel problems.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Possible you have a huge vacuum leak somewhere, if you start the car and hold the rpms high will it stay running and then die as soon as you let off on the gas.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
did you run out of gas?

But really, figure out what failed exactly before you start replacing things. Could be several simple causes.

Walbro pump, fuel rail, pressure regulator/gauge, return line, no more fuel problems.
Haha, I tried to correct the problem for 45mins on the side of the highway haha... and no, I already check that possibility haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Possible you have a huge vacuum leak somewhere, if you start the car and hold the rpms high will it stay running and then die as soon as you let off on the gas.
Wide open throttle or not it is diying anyways, the only time I can hold it a very little is when I see gas on my air fuel. But it always stall, and stick hard to the lean side... :P
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthehax View Post
Haha, I tried to correct the problem for 45mins on the side of the highway haha... and no, I already check that possibility haha

Wide open throttle or not it is diying anyways, the only time I can hold it a very little is when I see gas on my air fuel. But it always stall, and stick hard to the lean side... :P
Try the bypass connector for your FIC to see if the injector outputs are bad.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
what does your boost/vacuum gauge read at idle?
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Try the bypass connector for your FIC to see if the injector outputs are bad.
I tried, it was in my 45mins tryouts lol :P

I completely removed my plug&play harness, right now it is only the OEM ecm controling the engine. I also removed all power supply for 15mins before restarting the engine to let the ecm refresh... no chances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
what does your boost/vacuum gauge read at idle?
The engine doesnt even idle at all... it stall way before, I cannot get a stable rpm at all.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Check the EFI fuse.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
maxthehax

Quote:
Check the EFI fuse.
Yes Sir! :D

I will check that tonight.

But... Im I mistaken or; After the long winter storage, I always remove the EFI fuse and crank the engine to push some oil pressure before the official start up. The engine would never start without EFI fuse on, only cranking... Atm the car DO starts for a second and stall, just like you give it very little fuel and no more after...
Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yes Sir! :D

I will check that tonight.

But... Im I mistaken or; After the long winter storage, I always remove the EFI fuse and crank the engine to push some oil pressure before the official start up. The engine would never start without EFI fuse on, only cranking... Atm the car DO starts for a second and stall, just like you give it very little fuel and no more after...
That is true. You may want to pop the fuel pipe connector that is by the brake booster to see if you actually have fuel pressure (that is the one that is a quick release and is shrouded by a grey plastic piece).
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
maxthehax

Quote:
That is true. You may want to pop the fuel pipe connector that is by the brake booster to see if you actually have fuel pressure (that is the one that is a quick release and is shrouded by a grey plastic piece).
Thanks, that would be a perfect starting point to find the actual problem.

To be more precise, I should prime the pump with that connector off and see if I get any fuel delivery. Should I prepare for something messy :P??
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Yes it could be messy.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks, that would be a perfect starting point to find the actual problem.

To be more precise, I should prime the pump with that connector off and see if I get any fuel delivery. Should I prepare for something messy :P??
I would start with simply disconnecting it. You should get a little spray as you do, so wrap it with a rag before pulling it apart. If you don't get a good pssssst, then you can simply turn the ignition to the ON position (you don't need to crank it) and the fuel pump will start running to maintain pressure, so you should then get a good flow of fuel (have a container ready to catch it).
Old 05-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
maxthehax

Quote:
I would start with simply disconnecting it. You should get a little spray as you do, so wrap it with a rag before pulling it apart. If you don't get a good pssssst, then you can simply turn the ignition to the ON position (you don't need to crank it) and the fuel pump will start running to maintain pressure, so you should then get a good flow of fuel (have a container ready to catch it).
Okai thanks for infos.

I did not try it yet. But, I did try to start the car after work today. It started and I SAW some fuel on my AF gauge, so fuel is delivered. Car was running on idle but with a lot of stumble, always looking to die/stall. Very lean A/F also.

While it was on idle, trying to keep running I could ear a ''push push push'' sound everytime the engine catch up. The push sound was very close to the intake manifold.

?? Is it possible that I have blown the intake manifold gasket? Would a intake manifold leak make the engine run very lean? also make it stall everytime I try to start it again. ??

Thanks guys for inputs.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
If it is sucking in unmetered air then yes it will run lean at idle and could create those issues. I would check all your piping connections and intake mani for any leaks. Easy to do and you will at the very least know that is deff not the cause of the problem.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
How much psi are you running? Stock fuel system? Can you keep the engine running by giving it some throttle?

Out of curiosity, what do your plugs look like?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
maxthehax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
If it is sucking in unmetered air then yes it will run lean at idle and could create those issues. I would check all your piping connections and intake mani for any leaks. Easy to do and you will at the very least know that is deff not the cause of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
How much psi are you running? Stock fuel system? Can you keep the engine running by giving it some throttle?

Out of curiosity, what do your plugs look like?
I did not start all the diagnostic yet, I just parked it and leaved it alone for now lol :P

I am running 5.75psi, engine itself is stock with 240,000kms (lol). My high mileage is why I think the intake gasket could be dry and cracked, plus the push sound it makes around it.

If I press the gas, most of the time it does nothing at all, it just die quicker I think.

Stock fuel system... Looking to upgrade very soon.

Last edited by maxthehax; 05-31-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The intake gasket is a big O-ring, so I doubt it's blown out. Check all the hoses and clamps. Make sure they're all seated properly.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote