Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Oil Change [Done]

Yesterday I got an oil change done to my car. Bought fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter. I had a friend, who’s a mechanic, help me and tell me how to not damage the thread on the oil plug. We also found out that the Megan axle back exhaust has a leak where it connects to the flange . Nothing major, to me that’s just an excuse to buy a torque wrench.

Getting a bit out of topic and emotional here, I must mention that when I first got this car I didn’t know anything about cars, neither was I into the car culture. I live with one of my parents, whom I have to fight with to buy car parts, and therefore all I asked for was a car with a manual transmission. It’s funny I didn’t like hatchbacks before, but the Yaris has grown quite a bit on me. I was making plans to trade the Yaris for one of my dream cars like a BRZ or a WRX in the future. But, I still need to finish college and the savings the Yaris brings to the table cannot be beaten.

I was thinking about adding power windows and locks to the car, but doing some research in the forums (something I don’t usually do) showed me that even the popular A1electric kits have quite a bit of trouble over time. To those who say "should've gotten the power package" remember single parent, opportunity came. Anyways, if you guys follow my threads the future holds quite a bit too see .
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Congradulations on selecting the 3 door hatch with manual transmission! The most versatile and cost effective car on the market IMHO! The two doors make entry and gettings things in and out of the car easy. The MT gets better gas mileage and will last forever even without oil changes.

I have driven my 3 door to Alaska and back (10,400 miles in 16 days) in perfect comfort and I was 55 years old then.

Sounds like you are in an excellent position the learn with your mechanic friend and the resources here CT Scott is an outstanding font of knowledge about all things Yaris!

My advice is to switch to regular oil next time and a less expensive oil filter like a FRAM or purolator. Saves quite a bit of money. Synthetic oil was developed for turbine engines with very high operating temps. It IS good if it gets really cold where you live (0 degrees F) to help starting.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Power Package = potential $$ failures. Keep it Manual, Keep it Simple.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Don't know the power package could have problems, thought it was only the after market kits. My driver side manual lock jams when it's pretty cold outside.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Congradulations on selecting the 3 door hatch with manual transmission! The most versatile and cost effective car on the market IMHO! The two doors make entry and gettings things in and out of the car easy. The MT gets better gas mileage and will last forever even without oil changes.

I have driven my 3 door to Alaska and back (10,400 miles in 16 days) in perfect comfort and I was 55 years old then.

Sounds like you are in an excellent position the learn with your mechanic friend and the resources here CT Scott is an outstanding font of knowledge about all things Yaris!

My advice is to switch to regular oil next time and a less expensive oil filter like a FRAM or purolator. Saves quite a bit of money. Synthetic oil was developed for turbine engines with very high operating temps. It IS good if it gets really cold where you live (0 degrees F) to help starting.
Yeah I noticed that a bit late, it has gotten pretty close to 0 in the past month. I'm gonna buy a torque wrench soon since I have to take the wheels off but I'm not sure of where to get it from. Mixed reviews on amazon.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
My driver side manual lock jams when it's pretty cold outside.
Relatively common problem. Been a complaint of a few members, myself included.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Yeah I noticed that a bit late, it has gotten pretty close to 0 in the past month. I'm gonna buy a torque wrench soon since I have to take the wheels off but I'm not sure of where to get it from. Mixed reviews on amazon.
Cold temps arent a long term issue in VA but zero degrees is zero degrees I guess.

Buy your torque wrench here:

www.harbourfreight.com
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
vaironl

Quote:
Cold temps arent a long term issue in VA but zero degrees is zero degrees I guess.

Buy your torque wrench here:

www.harbourfreight.com
I was just checking out their deals earlier. Read a couple of people say they have some good products and some bad products, well every store does. Since you pointed them out I'll swing by the store today. They also have free coupons for some items .

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...rench-239.html

I'm assuming I should get the 1/2 for more leverage 18in vs 11in?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
I was just checking out their deals earlier. Read a couple of people say they have some good products and some bad products, well every store does. Since you pointed them out I'll swing by the store today. They also have free coupons for some items .

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...rench-239.html

I'm assuming I should get the 1/2 for more leverage 18in vs 11in?
Harbour Freight the BEST STORE IN THE WORLD if you are a man!

I am happy with ALL my HF purchases. Although I note prices are going UP!

I think you are right the 1/2 inch driver is the way to go.

However...

I feel obligated to point out its not really necessary to use a torque wrench on your wheels. I use the one that comes with the car with a cheater 1 1/2 inch PVC white plastic water pipe about 18 inches long. I guess I torque them to about 25 ft lbs I am crippled and if in an emergency had to r and r a wheel wouldnt be able to do ones t'd to 80 ft lbs.

Maybe mag wheels need TR's?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
vaironl

Quote:
Harbour Freight the BEST STORE IN THE WORLD if you are a man!

I am happy with ALL my HF purchases. Although I note prices are going UP!

I think you are right the 1/2 inch driver is the way to go.

However...

I feel obligated to point out its not really necessary to use a torque wrench on your wheels. I use the one that comes with the car with a cheater 1 1/2 inch PVC white plastic water pipe about 18 inches long. I guess I torque them to about 25 ft lbs I am crippled and if in an emergency had to r and r a wheel wouldnt be able to do ones t'd to 80 ft lbs.

Maybe mag wheels need TR's?
Just came back from HF. I got the torque wrench, then I saw the 21mm socket, then I remembered I needed a tire air pressure gauge, and then I saw towels to clean my hands after dealing with oily stuff and I finally remembered about a coupon for a free power outlet. Why does this happen?

Edit
------
I bought the socket, but it says impact socket. I didn't do any research as I remembered about while in store and I'm not sure if it's ok to use on the torque wrench. It does fit.

Last edited by vaironl; 02-08-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
the reason i traded my 05 echo for a 07 Yaris in 2006 was to have power everything. LOL
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Quote:
I bought the socket, but it says impact socket. I didn't do any research as I remembered about while in store and I'm not sure if it's ok to use on the torque wrench. It does fit.
An impact socket is heavy duty so it will not break with an impact wrench. As long as it fits you are fine.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
------
It will be fine. Ive seen that exact socket in HF. I bought an entire metric set of impact sockets and have used the 21mm on breaker bars.

Its just more convient to use the supplied wrench with a cheater for road duty.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

Quote:
(10,400 miles in 16 days)
I guess I could have looked it up (an estimate), but very interesting to know how far that was overall.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Keep it Manual, Keep it Simple.
I agree.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote