Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
ScangaugeII

I noticed that some of our members have Scangauge installed in the Yarii, and I was wondering exactly how hard is the install, and whom would you contact on installing one if I was to buy? Just any audio/security system stop? or would I need to find a dealer? I also did some reading, and it seems very plug and play...is this correct?

I searched the forums to no luck, so this would be my next stop :)
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Look for a thread posted in the Sponsors Classified Area for a post about it from 365autowerks
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
It's so easy to install even a caveman could do it!! All you do is plug it into the OBD II port under your dash and mount it with the supplied velcro and your done!!!
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
ty much, Prolly will buy next paycheck, Just plugnplay sounds sweet!
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
[QUOTE=sf180th;75659]It's so easy to install even a caveman could do it!! QUOTE]

You know, that is really condescending. But yeah, easiest mod to install EVER.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I searched and did not find this question...

How di you decide on scanguage compared to tach with a needle (electronic or analog)? Yhe scanguage is such a cool little device, but there is just somehting about the sweep of the needle...
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
not an option for the us boyz with LB! It is a great add on check out I believe Echo's creative sin din install
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
How do you decide on scanguage compared to tach with a needle (electronic or analog)? Yhe scanguage is such a cool little device, but there is just somehting about the sweep of the needle...
For me there were two factors to consider.

Number one is basic. Analog gauges have no refresh time. Readings are instantly accurate. Digital gauges are accurate, but it takes a second or so for it to refresh so your readings aren't instant.

Number two... size. For my taste the Scangauge is too small to use as a primary tachometer. You don't want to be straining while driving to see your RPM's. That is just one more distraction that may make you miss something important... like a runaway infant or an errantly-thrown brick.

For these reasons, I went with an analog tach. For another 50 bucks I could have had a Scangauge with 20 or so other readings built in, but the tach on the Scangauge to me is pretty much worthless. For this reason, I think the Scangauge is a handy tool and a great value for how many systems it monitors, but I would go for an analog tach that is big enough to see easily while driving.

I say if you want a digital monitoring system with a tach big enough so you don't have to strain to see it, you'd be much better off with the Blitz R-VIT or something comparable. If you don't have the $300+ to get one, analog is your best bet.

As far as gauges in general, if you don't like the intrusive look of a dozen little pods all monitoring different systems, the Scangauge is a great way to monitor things like water temperature and oil pressure without filling your dash with gauges. If you like the look of multiple gauges and aren't keen on digital readouts that take a second to tell you what is going on, analog is the way to go.

For my taste... analog FTW. No better way to let people know you actually give a damn about your car than filling the dash with the gauges it should come with anyway. I am sticking to the Auto-Meter Sport-Comp and Ultra-Lite series gauges. They're inexpensive, small enough yet still visible, and they match the light gray color in my stock interior. Also, I just saw the peripheral gauges (water, oil, volts, A/F) on sale at Autozone for $50-60 each.

4375.jpg 4327.jpg 4337.jpg 4391.jpg

Sorry, had to plug my parts.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Thumbs up I'm w/ you Chino

THX FOR INFO!! that's extremely helpful. I never relied much on speedo before and not having tach is bugging crap out of me.

I agree with you Chino, better to have a guage that does its one job well than one with that does many functions mediocre-ly.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #10
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
It may come to plug and play. Some are not comfortable with wiring. Lets face it anyway, I have a rpm and hardly glance at it. As a stick driver from day one I use my ear as my gauge, and it hasn't mattered what I drove, just an opinion though!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #11
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
analog tach... scanguage for everything else, at least thats what I'd go with/plan to do :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
It's just like analog vs digital watches. Digital is good for absolute information (i.e. what time is it NOW/What are my revs NOW?) while analog is good for relative information as you can visualize the change in values (i.e. you can see how quickly your revs move to the redline, you can see how much time left before the hour)

Personally I have an apexi rev/speed meter located in front of me, so I don't have to look to the center console. It is usually showing the speed and rpms in digital format. There's also a mode to show them as a simluated analog graph, this is nice, but far too low-resolution to be accurate, I still prefer a big ol' needle racing around.

That being said, it's just a matter of taste and habit!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote