Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
Anyone heel-toeing on the Yaris?

I used to do heel-toe downshifts on both my AE92 Corolla as well as my brother's ES Civic. In fact I learned on the AE92 and broke a clutch in the process.

However with the Yaris I am finding that I simply can't get comfortable with the pedals or it might be the e-throttle. Either way, I can't do it properly.

If someone else is able to do it, then I just need to work harder to figure it out.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
For me, the brake and clutch pedals are offset to a degree that doesn't allow it in that small of a space. I can't remember which is too high and which is too low, but either way I can't seem to get my feet to sit right. I may have to look at that at some point.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
maybe some aftermarket pedals? don't know if that'll help
Old 04-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I started doing it after seeing Biggie's avatar, and reading up on it. Praise the internet. Anyhow, I have size 12 feet (45 europe) so its a little difficult... and I find I can only do it well in my super-small sneakers... think like Puma Speedcats or something.... very snug, form-fitting sneaker.... thin sole too. I have to get my foot really high on the brake pedal... kind of have to push it from the top-right of the pedel. But it works... just takes practice. I'm still no good with regular running shoes!

Also aftermarket pedals with the widened gas pedal would make a huge difference!!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
At 6'3" with long legs and size 13 shoes, it's not really a possibility. It fun enough, and holds its own, w/o trying to heel-and-toe it.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
slothman86

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I've been doing it for about a month. Everyone wonders how i go thru corners fast. Someone actually told me that heel-toe was planting your heel on the deck of the car and lightly feathering the brake. I kinda laughed a lil and said "well everyone has their own techniques and i think that's just braking." I don't think he knows too much about racing techniques...I've been trying to get my 'cockpit' set up to reduce fatigue, he doesn't understand that either. oh well a lil off topic but...

Yeah, Heel-toe is a little hard with my yaris because the acc ped is so far away from the brake...but i've been getting better... ^^
Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 AM   #7
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
i installed some project mu pedals. heel toe is much easier now.
the gas pedal is a little more recessed than normal b/c its an ETC system. theres no throttle cable anymore. so all you are feeling is a rubberband flexing when you hit the gas pedal. so its a very different feel from my ae86. but it can be done, just get some pedals it will def. help out

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:32 AM   #8
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

I find that I have to do the "heel" bit twice, that is to say I have to jab the accelerator pedal with my heel twice in order to blip the revs up enough.

Conversely I found that wearing a wider shoe lets me "cheat" by rolling my right foot from the brake pedal to tap the accelerator. Wearing those Speedcat type shoes, they have a firm sole, but it is narrow also. The spacing of the brake and accelerator pedal is just somewhat inconvenient for the heel action.

I'll look into accelerator pedals that have an extension for heel and toe-ing. There are some cheap ones that have an adjustable extension I could play with.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #9
drifto

razo has some good ones for not to much $$$ as well as project mu which has the extensions. blipping the accelerator twice is fine i do it all the time and yes rolling your foot works too, quite well i may add.

heel toe is important in our underpowered cars. the only good side is that we can power though the turns full throttle if we wanted. while the more powerfull or forced indution cars have to feather the throttle and deal with lag etc. sometimes less power is good.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I really need to learn this skill... but roads here are too slow and boring...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:05 AM   #11
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
i`m able to but took me some time to get a good position ... further that i am from the wheel the easyer it gets...

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
I use heel and toe a lot on my drives. For smoother shifting, I double-clutch as well. :)
Old 04-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
its more of a shift thtas all, u don't push down since the pedals aren't spaced correctly for a correct heel toe. It's a SLIGHT see saw maneuver that you do and you really do not have to blip the throttle to a huge degree on the yaris. If done correctly, you will feel no budging of the tranny.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifto View Post
razo has some good ones for not to much $$$ as well as project mu which has the extensions. blipping the accelerator twice is fine i do it all the time and yes rolling your foot works too, quite well i may add.
Razos
Attached Images

CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymaniac View Post
i`m able to but took me some time to get a good position ... further that i am from the wheel the easyer it gets...
i second that :) but i'm still not good at it :(
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #16
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Nope I don't heel-toe. I wouldn't do it unless I had a much beefier clutch.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

When done properly, heel and toe downshift does not wear a clutch any more than a normal downshift, perhaps even less.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #18
drifto

well actually its done for smoother downshifting which actually helps your clutch and motor/trans mounts. you raise the revs up to come out of a turn with consistant and smooth power transition. its basically rev-matching while braking at the same time. also footwear is important, its a lot harder to heel-toe sporting timbs, as compared to some chuck taylor allstars :)

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd