Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Avoid Westchester Toyota in Yonkers NY

Greetings fellow YarisWorld members, I ask your help. I am involved in a dispute (described below) with Westchester Toyota of Yonkers, NY and am trying to get the story out to as many people in as many ways possible. I have posted reviews of this dealer on the following sites:

http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/We...service-14795/

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/N...059059200.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.org/autom...er_toyota.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Westch...ew-Yor-1192897

I have also attempted to post to Yelp, Google, Cars.com, & BBB.org, but for whatever reason those reviews don't show up.

I don't have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any of the other things you cool kids are using nowadays, YarisWorld is my social media. Like I mentioned I want this story out there, I want these people to be publically shamed and to let others know to avoid this place like the plague. I am asking my fellow members who do have these social media connections to please link to this thread or any of the reviews I have linked above and please spread the word throughout your networks. I want to get the attention of upper management at this dealership and at the Toyota Motor Company as well. Any help is appreciated, I would love to go viral but I'll settle for a slight head cold. Thank you.

And now the truth about Westchester Toyota:
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
NYC-SE

On Oct. 16, 2014 I brought my 2014 Toyota Yaris to Westchester Toyota for its 5,000 mile service. After the service was completed and my car was returned to me I discovered that "Westchester Toyota" license plate frames had been installed on my car without my permission. I was never consulted if I desired to have the frames installed, it was simply done without asking.

I returned to my Service Consultant, Sophia Suarez, asked to have the frames removed and asked to speak to the Service Manager (Frantz Casimir). She returned to me and said the he would be out shortly, however he never appeared. A staff member did come and take the car back to the shop and removed the frames. Unfortunately my vehicle's bumper was damaged and mounting hardware for the license plate was lost and damaged as a result of the several times the plates were removed and reinstalled.

Prior to the unauthorized actions of Westchester Toyota the license plates were installed sandwiched between two 1/4" nylon washers per hole and attached using M6-1.00X16 stainless steel button head internal hex drive cap screws. My car was returned to me with several nylon washers missing and with damage to the internal hex drive of the cap screws. I am a diesel mechanic with over 30 years experience in the marine industry. In my professional opinion this damage was most likely caused by the use of an improper sized drive bit used in a cordless drill with too high a torque setting while removing / installing the screws. MOST SIGNIFICANTLY one of the mounting holes for the front license plate was also stripped during this process. Again this is indicative of the use of a power driver with a high torque setting and is a perfect example of why power tools should never be used on plastic.

I repaired these items myself. The stripped hole in the front bumper was filled with plastic epoxy, drilled and tapped. New mounting screws and washers were purchased and the license plates were reinstalled in the original manner. All of this was done on my time and with my money. I then sent Westchester Toyota an itemized bill for my time and materials. I received a nonsensical email from a Istrha Santana in response claiming that their blatant attempt at free advertising was actually an honest mistake because the "Westchester Toyota Service Department frequently receives customer request to install the license frame as we are the #1 dealer in the district regarding customer satisfaction". They also stated "As far as your request for reimbursement if you would be so kind to produce an invoice itemizing the parts and labor even though Westchester Toyota never authorized the work, but for good P.R. we will take it in to consideration regarding your next service".

I once again emailed Ms. Santana, again providing the invoice which I had already provided, and explained that the offer to "take it in to consideration regarding your next service" was unacceptable as my next 3 services are already covered for free under Toyota Care. I did not receive a response.

In a further attempt to resolve this issue I emailed the Toyota Motor Corporation asking them to please contact the dealership on my behalf. The reference # for this complaint is 1411250308. Toyota corporate emailed me back saying they had contacted Westchester Toyota and that a representative from the dealership would contact me. They never did.

I also attempted to resolve this issue thru the New York Better Business Bureau. The BBB complaint # is 10318169. Westchester Toyota lied to the BBB, did not address any of the issues raised in my complaint and refused my request that a representative with the authority to resolve this issue contact me.

There has been no communication from Westchester Toyota since.

So in short they installed their license frames without my permission. They damaged my front bumper and lost and damaged my mounting hardware while doing this. When confronted with these facts the Service Manager hid in his office and would not come out to speak with me. They ignored Toyota Motor Corporation's request to contact me. They lied to the BBB. They have repeatedly ignored my attempts to resolve this issue and they continue to refuse to take responsibility for their actions. IS THIS THE KIND OF PLACE YOU WANT TO DO BUSINESS WITH?
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
you should go to rockland toyota. The people there are cool...as of 2 yrs ago at least.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I can't help with the social media stuff, but I'll definitely steer clear of Westchester Toyota in solidarity with you. The way Westchester Toyota treated you...... While on trips, after leaving New England, I have usually stopped at the Starbucks in downtown Nyack. Rockland Toyota is only a couple of miles away, as the crow flies...and it's so close to the Palisades Mall.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:20 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
^^^^^ Also.....the satisfaction you get from the BBB may depend on the local chapter. The Los Angeles chapter was expelled last year from the national council re shady practices. Re the structure of the BBB...it is funded by the dues it collects from giving members 'accreditation'.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #6
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
^^^^^ Also.....the satisfaction you get from the BBB may depend on the local chapter. The Los Angeles chapter was expelled last year from the national council re shady practices. Re the structure of the BBB...it is funded by the dues it collects from giving members 'accreditation'.
Yeah I know. Westchester Toyota is not a BBB member so they have no influence over them, but on the other hand BBB has no influence over Westchester Toyota either. Anyway BBB closed my case today stating "Please understand that we are not an enforcement agency and we cannot compel a business to settle your complaint in a particular way."

I'm not giving up. I have filed a complaint with the NYS Attorney General and contacted a local TV station's consumer reporter. It's not even about the money anymore, I'm just so PO'd at them and their response. I think they think that if they just ignore the situation it (I) will go away. I am going to do whatever I legally can to prove them wrong. If I have to I will stand out in front of their dealership with a pick-it sign warning potential customers.

Thanks for the support.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I'm not giving up. I have filed a complaint with the NYS Attorney General and contacted a local TV station's consumer reporter. It's not even about the money anymore, I'm just so PO'd at them and their response. I think they think that if they just ignore the situation it (I) will go away. I am going to do whatever I legally can to prove them wrong. If I have to I will stand out in front of their dealership with a pick-it sign warning potential customers.
Good for you!

Quote:
Thanks for the support.
You're welcome.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Update: As of today my issue with Westchester Toyota has been resolved to my satisfaction. It took 3 months and a letter from the NYS Attorney General but they finally did the right(ish) thing. The right thing would have been to never have installed the license frames in the first place. Anyway it's over.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Way to go! I'd like to know what you got out of this extensive fiasco that you're finally satisfied.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #10
NYC-SE

I was offered a credit in the amount I had originally requested. I would have preferred cash but I didn't want to fight anymore. I went to their parts department and loaded up on filters, wipers, etc. True I could have got all that stuff for cheaper elsewhere but I'm OK with it. I just wanted this over.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Nice.

When I bought my Yaris. I specifically said I did not want the dealer advertising sticker on my trunk lid.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #12
NYC-SE

I kind of make allowances for license frames, stickers, etc. when buying a new car. I expect it. I simply remove them after delivery. But I have never had a dealer install any of these things on a SERVICE visit. Could they not see that the original selling dealer's plates had been removed and that my plates were installed in a certain way? If I didn't want the selling dealer's plates what makes you think I want yours? And then to screw it up so bad. The entire episode could have been avoided. I would have preferred if it was.