Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Fading Away

Well guys (& girls) I've had my Yari since 08 and joined this great forum. Over the years I've gone to a couple of Yari events and had a great time and met a lot of great people. However, I'm sure we have all seen a decline of topics on this forum. Hell, I haven't even logged on in I can't remember when. Yes, about every couple of months I look at the site just to see if there's anything new going on. HHUUUMMMMM, then when I see that Micro Image has closed, that confirms my feeling about the Yari interest. Like the statement said from the Micro Image post, Lack of interest and moving on to other things. I know there are many of you that are still die hard Yari fans, and so am I (still drive my 08 every day) But when I see Yari's on the street, they are never modded. Always stock appearance, dented, dirty, broken glass and beat to crap with their tongues hanging out. Well, I guess if I have to look on the bright side of this is maybe I'll have to start going to the local junkyards to look for spare goodies for my car. I'll occasionally look here but it's not high on my priority list like it used to be. I wish everyone only the best and if there is an event worth going to I'll make it a point to try to attend.
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
You're not that far from me, T. I'm in the Inland Empire. Anyway, I've noticed a downtrend on here, but it starts with us. I know there have been peaks and valleys in my visiting of yw.com. Stop in when you have time. You don't want to miss gems like the photoshop thread in the off-topic section!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Without a doubt the social aspect of this forum has evaporated. Gone are the days of members racking up hundreds, if not thousands of posts, building relationships through thread conversations. It has become much more of a technical resource, with peeps hoping in with an issue and not bothering to stay around long enough to support the tight knit community of enthusiasts we once were.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #4
2009Toyotoad

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
Its been a long while since I've been on the forum too, or to any events. It does seem to be a juggling act these days to keep everything going. My enthusiasm for my 2009 Liftback has not changed even with 106 k miles on the odometer. I still have replacement powertrain to build with the mountain of parts in storage. But after my last cross county trip I'm staying close to stock on the build. I love the D2 racing suspension upgrade installed 3 years ago, but this year at the insistent of my better half the height was raised so she could drive it without scraping every speed bump on the road.
That may also explain why my brake pads are not worn out at 106k I'm the slower driver and she does not drive the car until recently.
Times are changing, I'd like to go to more events if I could find the time.
2009Toyotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
I blame the owner(s)/admin. for lack of activity and not keeping this site up to date. Yet they don't want to allow moderators to manage some of the content. I think this is a major reason for the downward slide of this website.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Cars get old and people move on. Back when echodrivers forum was popular, many people had very new cars. Now our yaris have aged and there seem to be many complaints about the 3rd gen.

Eventually I will also move on and get another car.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Now our yaris have aged and there seem to be many complaints about the 3rd gen.
Not from me. I've had my car for a year now and I love it. Other than an idiot dealership installing their license plate frames without my permission and stripping out my front bumper mounting hole in the process I have had no problems. The car's been great.

As I've only been around for a little over a year I can't really comment on the "good old days" of Yarisworld but I do love this community and would hate if it "faded away".
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Cars get old and people move on. Back when echodrivers forum was popular, many people had very new cars. Now our yaris have aged and there seem to be many complaints about the 3rd gen.

I've had the same thought, but coincidentally was just have a conversation with my better half about it this week. Although there's no doubt I'll own other cars, I can't see myself getting rid of my Yaris. For what it's worth and how cheap it is to run/maintain, I see myself keeping it as a second/backup car as long as the wheels stay on...might even keep it after that lol.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #9
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I think the Yaris has had its 15 minutes of automotive glory and has now just been reduced to a generic econobox, when it first came out the hatch looked super sporty and for us older folks a nice looking sensible sedan option,fast forward a few years and the sedan and hatch seem to have merged into a one size fits all souless appliance. With 200K of bulletproof reliability out of my 08 sedan i certainly dont see anything in the current Yaris line that turns me on,

Really?=

http://carspecsandprice.com/wp-conte...yota-Yaris.jpg

my next Toyota will most likely be a Rav4.

Last edited by jambo101; 05-13-2015 at 04:55 PM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #10
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
Quote:
Now our yaris have aged and there seem to be many complaints about the 3rd gen.

I haven't heard anything bad about 3rd generation. Not as exciting as competition maybe....but thats all.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
428CobraJet

Drives: '09 Yaris 3dr, 13 F150rcsb 5.0
To ignore Facebook's effect on forums would be a mistake.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #12
Gogogordy

Drives: Miss my Yaris, love my Jeep jk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
You're not that far from me, T. I'm in the Inland Empire. Anyway, I've noticed a downtrend on here, but it starts with us. I know there have been peaks and valleys in my visiting of yw.com. Stop in when you have time. You don't want to miss gems like the photoshop thread in the off-topic section!
Also an IE Yaris owner....one of the few in this land of lifted trucks, expensive european sports sedans, and Jeeps.

Loves me my Yaris, its one of the nicest (cleanest perhaps...yes it gets washed!) in my town boasting very very few of them. That being said were I forced to replace it, I'd be looking at Hyundai, and Kia first. I dont think another Yaris would be a consideration for me.

I think thats a reflection on Toyota more than anything else, re-wrapping essentially the same car year after year...there are more compelling packages out there in the same price range but with more "content" and better engines now....and that is directly reflected on forum attrition.

I also believe the Yaris of today, will be a sought-after enthusiasts car a decade or 3 from now...but that'll spawn it's own forum.

When I'm not driving my Yaris, I'm doing this:
http://gogogordy1.wix.com/scooter-aficionado
Gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:09 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
I haven't heard anything bad about 3rd generation. Not as exciting as competition maybe....but thats all.
^^^^^ This. The only negative I can think of that is not subjective is that the interior plastic scratches more readily and more permanently (mainly the dash) on the 3rd Gen vs. the 2nd Gen.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:43 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
Also an IE Yaris owner....one of the few in this land of lifted trucks, expensive european sports sedans, and Jeeps.
Have to agree.....and the mix is more like the vehicle mix in Texas than any other city I can think of in Southern California. My best friend's parents have lived in Temecula for the last 20 years, after living in different hilly areas of Orange County since 1967.

re scooters (oops. your signature doesn't display in the quote). Starting sometime within the next few years, I plan to spend at least 3 months a year in Pinellas County, Florida..probably Palm Harbor or Dunedin. One of the great things about Florida is that you don't need a motorcycle license for most scooters. A great way to get to the beach without sitting in traffic !
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogogordy View Post
I also believe the Yaris of today, will be a sought-after enthusiasts car a decade or 3 from now...but that'll spawn it's own forum.
Agree! ...at least the '07-'09's.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #16
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Puullleeeze. People, there is still a Geo Metro forum. If Metro owners can keep it together, this site has another good 20+ years left. I'll be here until my Yaris breaths its last breath.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #17
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
I blame the owner(s)/admin. for lack of activity and not keeping this site up to date. Yet they don't want to allow moderators to manage some of the content. I think this is a major reason for the downward slide of this website.
Don't really want to get into Bueller (last sign on date Oct-9,2014) bashing again, but who the heck is really even moderating the site these days. Astroman, kimona and tk-421 were the only ones active for the longest time. tk has vanished, Astro I rarely see online, leaving only kimona as the visibly active moderator.

What the hell is paying the bills? No click-thru revenue other than Tire Rack and that can't be doing much. No supporting venders. As established as it is, the domain name has got to be worth a fair chuck of coin. Pocket the money and get us some new owners I say.

Last edited by WeeYari; 05-14-2015 at 12:42 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428CobraJet View Post
To ignore Facebook's effect on forums would be a mistake.
This.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote