Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #1
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Countdown to delivery and "Zoom Zoom"

Well, the truck driver called me a few hours ago and let me know that he was dropping off my 2015 White SE 5-Spd Manual between 1pm-3pm (AZ timezone) today. I took a half-day paid personal day from work and drove home to wait for it. Hopefully, no damage was done to the little Yari between source and destination - and I should soon be giving it a whirl this evening for a few errands in order to get acclimated the clutch feel before driving it to work tomorrow.

Pics and review/impressions coming soon!
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Stoked for you!

Looking fwd to your comments/pics.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Kalispel

It just arrived! No visible dents/dings or defects @ first inspection. Took a couple "virgin pics" right off the truck. Time to go check out some clutch action and make sure the A/C blows plenty of cool air (it's 108f here today in Phoenix).
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
It just arrived! No visible dents/dings or defects @ first inspection. Took a couple "virgin pics" right off the truck. Time to go check out some clutch action and make sure the A/C blows plenty of cool air (it's 108f here today in Phoenix).
I know a gal in the boxing world, PR person for Iron Boy Boxing, that said it was going to get up to 113 there in the next couple days. Stay cool and stay safe.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You said zoomzoom, I though you were getting a Mazda for a moment...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
You said zoomzoom, I though you were getting a Mazda for a moment...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I remember watching a YouTube reviewer that stated the 2015 Yaris SE had better "Zoom Zoom" handling/driving characteristics than the current generation Mazda2 hatch had. They were right - I really enjoyed my 20 mile "break-in drive" this afternoon, along some long stretches of road north of Phoenix.

Trying to figure out how to post pics off my hard drive to a message post, and then will write up my first impressions with the 2015 SE stick.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Kalispel

Here some virgin pics of the girl right off the truck:

Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
Kalispel

Here are a few more pics than I took after returning from my 20 mile "break-in drive":

Old 08-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #9
Kalispel

And the rest thus far:

Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 AM   #10
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Congrats Kalispel. I've always liked the look of a white car but never had the gumption to buy one. Good luck keeping it clean!
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #11
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Congrats Kalispel. I've always liked the look of a white car but never had the gumption to buy one. Good luck keeping it clean!
This is my second white auto. I had an manual Acura Integra Limited Edition back in the late 80's - white with OEM white painted alloy wheels also, and it was pretty tough to keep clean - especially those white wheels!

On a side note, I backed into a cactus while taking those pics earlier today, and it still hurts.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:11 AM   #12
Kalispel

Well, here are my first impressions after driving the 2015 SE 5-speed Manual for a bit this afternoon. I'm coming from a 5-Speed Manual 2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan (purchased new in 2000), so most of my 2015 Yaris observations will be in contrast to the car that I have become so accustomed to driving over the last 15-16 years.

DRIVING/EXTERIOR:

The 2015 Yaris clutch is really different than the one in the 2000 Accord - not bad different, just different. I'm guessing that basic clutch design has changed over the years, since my 2000 Accord clutch is stiff and requires active muscle effort to keep depressed. The 2015 Yaris clutch by contrast is super-easy to depress and hold down. As far as clutch feel goes, it feels fine to me upon release. Engagement feels smooth enough - though the accelerator pedal in the Yaris is super-sensitive and seems to go from off to on with the slightest pressure, going from 1K idle RPMs up to 2K+ RPMs in an instant. It will take some practice to get acclimated to that sensitive gas pedal, especially with heavier shoes/boots on (I drove it with bare feet today with my flip flops removed). I don't think that my 2000 Accord gas pedal is electronic, and just uses an old-school cable system that makes giving it just a little gas at start much easier. With all that said, I enjoyed driving the manual Yaris, and just have to get acclimated to the touchy accelerator dynamics that make creeping forward in first gear at lower RPMs from stop a bit more challenging.

As far as driving/handling dynamics go, not unexpectedly the SE felt firmer, tighter and sportier on the road than my Accord Sedan (which has a softer, more luxury-oriented feel to it). The SE was well-mannered, enjoyable to drive, straddled a good balance between sporty/comfortable, and inspired confidence on the road/corners.

Not surprisingly, the acceleration ability of the Yaris felt no different than the 4-Cylinder manual-transmission Accord Sedan, since both have similar horsepower to weight ratios. Even with the A/C on, I didn't feel like I was ever struggling to reach speed with my Yaris - it had just enough power (with one 175lb occupant) to be competently average in that regard, which is fine by me. Now, load the car up with 4 total people, and probably not so much, lol. It was the same deal with my Accord. No surprises here.

Exterior styling is a subjective manner, and I happen to like the "angry squirrel" look of the 2015 Yaris SE - though it did take a bit to grow on me. I'm neutral when it comes to the placement of the rear reverse lamp. It blends in nice enough on the white/silver Yaris, but does sort of stand out like a sore thumb on the other colors. I would probably choose the European or Japanese market 2015 SE/RS rear-end, if given the choice - but the USA version isn't bad either IMO. I happen to like the garnish trim piece over the license plate body-colored better than chrome, though it does perhaps remove some needed contrast on the rear-end styling. The lack of a rear exhaust tip on the 2015 SE is annoying, but can be remedied easy enough with an aftermarket piece, luckily enough (I have one ready to install now).

More to come later...
Old 08-13-2015, 02:46 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
This is my second white auto. I had an manual Acura Integra Limited Edition back in the late 80's - white with OEM white painted alloy wheels also, and it was pretty tough to keep clean - especially those white wheels!

On a side note, I backed into a cactus while taking those pics earlier today, and it still hurts.
:Congrats !

White might be harder to clean....but it 'hides' scratches more effectively .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #14
ern-diz

Aside from exhaust tip, what are your short term planned mods?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #15
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Aside from exhaust tip, what are your short term planned mods?
Nothing too crazy initially.

- Exhaust Tip
- OEM Toyota VVT-i badge on rear driver's side to offset/balance Yaris badge on passenger side
- Small Vinyl die-cut 'TRD' white logo on upper passenger-side front windshield
- Tinted Windows - 35% sides/back, 3M crystalline tint front windshield (the sun is BRUTAL out here!!!)
- Protective UV/Bra 3M film on headlights
- Authentic TRD Manual Leather Shift Knob (the factory one is sort of boring/wimpy).
- Thin black rubber paint-protective rear license plate frame
- Elongated European style front license plate for gaping maw front grill (not sure which country graphic to go with yet - country-of -origin France perhaps?)
- I want a driver's side all-weather mat instead of carpet, so I will have to buy the entire set probably just to get the one mat that I want to use in the car, lol.

Haven't decided when to go for a different 16" alloy wheel design that I like better. Either later this year, or sometime next year. I also want a TRD rear sway bar (if it fits), just not sure when exactly yet.

Also, I wonder how the car would look with a blacked-out roof, instead of white. I've seen some European cars with that, and it looked sharp on white car with tinted windows. Just a random thought.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #16
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
:Congrats !

White might be harder to clean....but it 'hides' scratches more effectively .
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
There are some folks on this forum who say they know how to drive a MT yet their MT Yaris ate its clutch.

I suspect the on/off throttle control has something to do with this.

So....look out!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Kalispel

My first daily commute to work in my Yaris went smoothly today, and I am already adjusting to the sensitive/light "modern electronic" gas peddle (wearing dress shoes today). shifting was smooth/precise, and I had much better control over the RPMs starting out from a stop than I did yesterday on my initial drive. I am really glad that I held out, and jumped through all the numerous hoops of securing an elusive manual 5-Speed SE Yaris from another state, versus settling on an automatic locally. This little car is a pleasure to drive.

I will post my overall main pro's and con's about the vehicle thus far, later today.