Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
Carrying an electric fat bike

I have gotten WAY into electrically assisted bikes, I have 3 now, one little one I keep in my crane, as a dingy. One full sized one that folds and easily fits in the rear of the '08 HB (no rear seat, no spare tire carried, full sized Montague mountain bike folder), and..... a full sized non folding fat bike that weighs a bit over 60 lbs.

Right now I transport the fattie with my '99 Toyota Rav4, using a rack I built that bolts on the existing steel rack on the rear door that was intended for the spare tire. It works fine, but the 4 is a "gas hog" as compared to my Yaris, mid to maybe upper 20's mpg is about it, mid 40's for the Yaris is my norm.

I absolutely cannot stand the idea of a roof mount bike rack, for one thing getting the bike up there would be a pain, plus the aero drag has to be horrendous! Plus I think they really look like crap, especially on the sleek little Yaris. I don't want a trailer receiver rack that impedes the opening of the rear hatch either if I can help it.

I just got a new catalog from Northern Tool, and saw this little all aluminum trailer, $379.00 delivered. All I'd need to do is add a brake formed aluminum trough to capture the tires, and it would need to extend a bit past the little 4' bed length as the wheel base of the fat bike is about 5', then it'd be like the motorcycle trailers I've seen but much lighter. It would be super easy to load and secure the bike on this, and of course the trailer would be useful for other things, I'm just not too sure of the drag hit I'd take. I'd hate to end up getting very near the mileage of the 4. A few days ago I drove 275 miles with the Montague in the back of the Yaris, and I averaged 44.4 MPG. The thing is, the fat bike is the preferred ride (more electrical assist plus better ride and more traction) for the rougher trails, but I've been taking the Montague just because I can fit it inside. I don't have a trailer hitch, so by the time I bought or made one I'd be in it at least $500.00. I think I just talked myself into just using the Rav4 and eating the lesser mileage.....I just like the Yaris better all thing considered, and usually only drive the 4 when I need all wheel drive or much more room. I really don't need a trailer hitch on the Yaris, I think my next move will be to see if I can whip up a heavy duty bike rack that will bolt to the underbody but also be easily removable and hopefully allow easy access to the HB. Any other ideas?

Here's a link to the neat little all aluminum trailer:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...0342_200660342
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
You could try one of these from this link or maybe post #12 in link?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Idahotom

Thanks yarisugi. I saw one detail that I had earlier missed when I looked at those threads, the way the one hitch mount rack hinges down so you can open the access the hatch, by pulling one pin, cool. Now I'm thinking I'm going to spend some quality time on the creeper with the Yaris up on the ramps, and see if I can fab a structure up under neath that will stick back far enough to then cobble up a one off bike rack, with that hinging feature. I'm too cheap to even consider buying one, especially as I have the option of hauling the e fatbike with the Rav4. Plus I like the challenge, and do steel fabrication all the time and am setup for it in my shop.

Upon further thought, no trailer, however small and light, will be considered. PITA parking in town, got to register it, store it at home, don't need another one have plenty larger ones already. Bad weather today so can't ride, no work for my crane business until tomorrow, so I'm getting started on it today. I find posting about a project or question helps me to clarify my thinking, and narrow down the choices. Hard to figure the added drag of the bike in back: will it be in the "wind shadow", or will it be as nearly draggy as a roof mount? Probably somewhere in between would be my guess. My Rav4 is Scan Gauge equipped, as is the Yaris, I need to see what the drag hit is on the 4 when carrying the bike, that may be a clue to what I can expect with the Yaris.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
But....what about carrying the YARIS on the bike?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
Idahotom

Not going with a rear rack either! Too draggy I believe, plus I really don't like the cantilevered structure that would be required, just too many compromises, when I can just take a minor MPG hit and use the Rav4. The final thing that dissuaded me was when I realized that the Yaris is narrower then the fatbike's width, by quite a bit. So those big tires sticking out a fair bit to the sides, would probably bring the MPG down to where using the Rav4 made more sense. Plus no dead weight from a rack structure when not carrying the bike.

But, for the folding Montague, carrying it inside the Yaris rocks!