Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Carbon Fiber Hood

Do you guys think this carbon fiber hood would be worth a piss?

It's at least a couple hundred less than anything else I'm seeing online (though I only started looking) and am worried that at its price point, the fitment will be doo-doo, or that something else will be wrong with it. I guess I just have an aversion to e-bay parts.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I had one of the MicroImage ones. Other than looks they are really of no benefit, as the stock hood is incredibly light.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I had one of the MicroImage ones. Other than looks they are really of no benefit, as the stock hood is incredibly light.
Completely agree; it would be a looks thing.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
If it's just for looks, perhaps consider a carbon fiber wrap. It would be quick and easy to do on such a small hood... and really inexpensive.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
If it's just for looks, perhaps consider a carbon fiber wrap. It would be quick and easy to do on such a small hood... and really inexpensive.
I've considered that, but can't shake the fraudulent feeling that comes with it lol.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Do you guys think this carbon fiber hood would be worth a piss?

It's at least a couple hundred less than anything else I'm seeing online (though I only started looking) and am worried that at its price point, the fitment will be doo-doo, or that something else will be wrong with it. I guess I just have an aversion to e-bay parts.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.
Had one when I was sponsored by Micro Image. Had it for about 3 years until the clear coat started to oxidize. Same brand too, Carbon Creations. I enjoyed it while it was in my possession.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
For $239 it'd be worth a stab IMO. Most USA carbon fiber, such as Seibon and VIS is just fiberglass with 1 layer of 1x1 carbon fiber over the top anyways. I had a INGS+1 carbon fiber hood from the 2003 Civic Si Super Street Shootout and the hood was like 4lbs. mostly dry with a light clearcoat and was actually flexible versus the junk we get in the states. I never knew how much better quality the JP stuff was until then.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSPLASTIC View Post
Had one when I was sponsored by Micro Image. Had it for about 3 years until the clear coat started to oxidize. Same brand too, Carbon Creations. I enjoyed it while it was in my possession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
For $239 it'd be worth a stab IMO. Most USA carbon fiber, such as Seibon and VIS is just fiberglass with 1 layer of 1x1 carbon fiber over the top anyways. I had a INGS+1 carbon fiber hood from the 2003 Civic Si Super Street Shootout and the hood was like 4lbs. mostly dry with a light clearcoat and was actually flexible versus the junk we get in the states. I never knew how much better quality the JP stuff was until then.
Thanks for the feedback. I might just spring for this then.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-06-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
If you like it, have somebody professionally reclear-coat it as the VIS carbon fiber I recleared faired better than the Seibon doors I had over time. Reclear would be under $200 I'd bet if you do the prep.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
ern-diz

Quote:
If you like it, have somebody professionally reclear-coat it as the VIS carbon fiber I recleared faired better than the Seibon doors I had over time. Reclear would be under $200 I'd bet if you do the prep.
Good to know, thanks. I know the owner of a body shop that has taken care of squirting different parts of my car over the years. Charges me cash prices, which is cheaper than retail and/or going through insurance. If I get that hood, I'll probably rock it as is and if it starts to fade, I'll have him hit it with some nanotech for me.

On Wheelwell
Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Good to know, thanks. I know the owner of a body shop that has taken care of squirting different parts of my car over the years. Charges me cash prices, which is cheaper than retail and/or going through insurance. If I get that hood, I'll probably rock it as is and if it starts to fade, I'll have him hit it with some nanotech for me.
Here is how it faired on my car for the 3 years I was stating.

Last edited by ABSPLASTIC; 06-07-2017 at 10:53 AM.
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
ern-diz

On Wheelwell
Old 06-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
I've had one of those CF hoods on my MR2 for several years now. The fitment is off but the finish has held up. Granted my MR2 has a nice cozy garage to stay in but once you get a good clear coat on the thing it'll last.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote