Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
The xd Swap thread

So first things first, a big thanks to Crankyoldman, Tmontague, Armstrongracing, Brushforhire and anyone else who's made a swap thread or answered my quesions. Without your input and willingness to share what you've learned in your swaps, guys like me and other members wouldn't have been able to complete our swaps. Again, a huge thanks to you all.

This build thread pertains to a 2007 non immobilizer M/T 2 door hatchback Canadian model Yaris
Swapped with a 2011 immobilizer equipped Canadian model Scion xD M/T

The Background Story
I'm sure a few of the regular members are wondering "who's this guy and where the #$%@ did he come from?" I've only got 20 posts and have already swapped. Pretty well a stranger to this forum.

Well my name is Owen and I've been lurking the forum for almost 3 years now after buying my first Yaris in January 2016.

I'm not new to wrenchin' and have built a car before. It was a '90 VW jetta coupe sporting coilovers, full exhaust, stripped interior, bigger disk brakes all around, and a supercharged 2.0L under the hood, and a pile of other goodies. It was fun to say the least.

Bit of a rat rod if you will lol

I'm the kinda guy that can't leave a car alone so it wasn't long before I had wild dreams for the Yaris.

The Legacy

My first Yaris: 2007 silver 2 door base model hatchback with a 5 speed m/t dubbed 'Yaroos'. The car was a little rough around the edges but only had 114k on the odometer. I ended up swapping in some tein s-tech springs and a TRD rear sway bar. Made for a nice little sporty daily driver. The demise of this car was it getting rear ended sitting at a red light. The car had 260k on the clock and I squeezed $3900 out of the insurance company.

The truck is my Yaris hauler. I've dragged 2 yari and an xD home with that fuel pig. Always runs, but its a thorn in my side. Seems every time I get in it something else is broken or fuckd :/ wish it was a tundra lol

Enter car 2...

My Second (and current) Yaris: a 2008 blue 2 door hatchback with a couple options and a 5 speed m/t dubbed 'Yar-two-oos' I snagged this car with 160 on the clock for $2500. It is also a little rough around the edges and needed about $300 in OEM Toyota parts plus the brembo brakes I removed form the written off car to meet certification. This car currently sits on 2011 scion xD springs and a wild 205/65/15 winter tires. As you can see, the front rebar mount with tow hook attachment from the xd donor car made it to the Yaris. The rebar supports are symmetrical so you can fit the tow hook side on the other side if flipped upside down. There's a 3-4" lift kit in the works.

The third car is the reason you're here.

About April of this year, I was looking for a replacement car. The blue car I currently drive sprouted an engine light. Something of the evap variety. With the mileage on the vehicle and how much it would have come my next emissions test, I couldn't picture dropping $800+ on evap parts for a car with 300k+ when I could just buy a new car for a couple grand.

While killing time at work I stumbled on a gem. A 2007 (non immobilizer) 2 door RS model in red with a 5 speed m/t and a mere 139k on the clock. I pounced. Snagged that for just over 3 grand. We call this one 'Redcar'

Then we Ontarians got the news... The best news a gear head could ask for.... You got it, the end of emissions tests!!!! Standalone for all!!! Hahaha but then I realized I was stuck with two Yari...

Well, when you get served lemons (stuck with 2 cars) you make really fast lemonade I guess. I got the idea of a stealthy sleeper with insane amounts of horsepower for its weight. But mostly I just wanted to keep up with my buddies new acquisition, a bone stock looking 2001 4 door golf. Nothing special... Till you popped the hood. There sits a turbo 1.9l pumping out 470 geldings on pump gas at 24 pressure units. Holy fuck, can you say Porsche smasher? And mustang smasher, and camaro smasher and c5 corvette destroyer? I could go on... I know I'll never keep up with him with a 2zr swap.. But what if it was boosted? And built? Forged rods, valve springs, 20something psi? I think were getting close.

So on to the goods.

The Idea:

A bone stock looking 2007 rs with 300+ to the wheels.

Mods list:
•2zr engine+ trans swap from a 2011 scion xd (Canadian model)
•Monkeywrench racing lightened steel flywheel
•ACT 6 puck, sprung disk clutch/w HD pressure plate
•Magnaflow 2.25" stainless mandrel bent exhaust
•Tein s-tech springs
•Bilstein B8 shocks all around
•TRD rear sway bar
•xD front sway bar
•No backseat or trunk plastic. All panels from b-pillars forward still there
•Scion xd front calipers with Yaris se rotors
•Agency Power brake lines, front and rear
•Brembo front pads with new material rotors rotors (No recycled content)
•2012 yaris SE rear axle and disk brake setup
•Battery relocated to floor behind seat
•Morimoto xb type T foglights
•ProLightz PLX3 led headlights (this guy is in Gatineau Quebec. Real knowledgeable guy, good products. Pretty sure he ships)
•Cruise control (hopefully. Anyone know if this works with the swap?) Edit: the diy cruise control mod works with the 2zr swap!
•2.5" chopped out of the seat mounts for that extra low feeling
•Steering wheel column dropped down to match seats

Future plans:
•TKC turbo kit
•Quaife LSD
•Built engine

The Plan

Simple, boost, boost and more boost!

How I did/doing it...

Last edited by myfirstyota; 09-08-2019 at 08:34 AM.
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

So I started by stripping the interior, removed any of the excess seam sealer and began to 'dynamat' the trunk and floor. Even though the ultimate goal is speed, this will also be a summer daily driver. I'm not 21 anymore and have no desire to hear my exhaust ALL the time.

Once the sound deadener was installed I turned my attention to the stereo wiring and other creature comforts like USB charger hardmount, aux port, and foglights. This is all pretty straight forward stuff so I won't go into much detail about the interior.

At this point I started sourcing the swap parts. Scored an 08 scion xd ecu in m/t flavour off eBay for $150cad if I remember correctly. Shortly after, I ordered an a/t engine harness. Although not correct for my application, crankyoldman and Armstrong assured me it could be made to work and really the only issue was extra wires/connectors.(edit: and reverse switch wires for back up lights) I never got to find that out for myself because a week after I bought the passenger side engine mount new from Toyota for $320-ish, another gem appeared in the form of a high mileage 2011 scion xd in manual and I snatched that for $2200.

Now why would anyone rip out an engine with 139k and replace it with one with 350k? Cause the engine I just installed won't be the power monster. The reason I installed this engine was to get everything running. And fitted properly.

I now had every piece I needed for a completely stock-looking swap. And then some. I now have an extra auto engine harness and the passenger mount. For the time being I'm using the high mileage mounts from the donor xd.

Because I bought the whole car I was able to scavenge a few other extra goodies including the xd brakes, master cylinder and booster, front sway bar, all of the 5 lug hubs and whatever else looked like it would fit. I'll post a full list of compatible parts toward the end of the thread.

I won't go into detail with engine removal. Its basic stuff, hoses, wires, shafts and mounts all need to be dealt with. If youre in the rust belt, some WILL give you trouble. If you don't think you can handle pulling an engine without step by instructions, a swap probably isn't for you.

After I had raped the xd and removed the 1nz from the Yaris I started on separating the xd trans from the 2zr. I unfortunately live in the salt belt so I had trouble with 3 of the bell housing bolts. The 2 bottom bolts snapped right off after almost an hour of working them with penetrating fluid. I was hesitant to use heat as everything is aluminum. So I drilled what was left of the bolts out and tried to save the threads. Partial success. I was. Able to chase the original threads with a tap but I'm not pleased with the amount of useable thread. My solution is to install longer bolts and nut them from the back side. Should be fine. The other bolt that was being saucy was one of the starter bolts. Although he wasn't as big of a douchebag as the bottom two. I just chased those threads with a tap and ordered a new bolt. Problem solved.

Clean, wire wheel, paint, ding.....trans is done.

I then installed my ACT 6 puck sprung disk clutch and HD pressure plate. A combo ACT says is good for 305 torque units. Remember... We want to boost this bitch in the future. This is just a pic of me testing my improvised clutch alignment tool on the stock disk. My clutch didn't come with one for whatever reason. Iirc, it was a 15mm deep socket with 2 wraps of electrical tape lol

Top the clutch off with a monkeywrench racing lightened flywheel and ARP flywheel bolts torqued to 70# I believe and your in the clutch business.

At this point I have a Yaris without an engine and a 2zr with a fresh clutch and lightened flywheel. I turned my attention to the Yaris.

Out came the suspension, subframe with rack and sway bar, pulled the rest of the exhaust, and got to cleaning parts. This is a summer car so no sense in putting rusty parts back in. Everything was hit with a wire wheel, rust converter, primer and paint.

Next step was to sort some of the wiring. Seeing as how i have a manual car and swap, there was speed sensor wiring to deal with. Super straight forward. Check out brushforhires thread. He's got pics of the pins and connectors that need to be dealt with. Real simple. Remove from Yaris harness and insert in same spots in xd harness.

The xD manual transmission doesn't have a speed sensor. But it does have a cap where the speed sensor should be. You can actually see it on top of the differential next to the exhaust manifold in the above pic. Go to your Yaris transmission (if not reusing it of course) and pluck that speed sensor. Remove the cap from xd transmission and carefully install the speed sensor. This was a very easy concept for me cause I had to do this for my VW swap back in tha day.

At this point the engine and trans is basically ready for install. The car was as also ready with everything removed and cleaned up.

This is when I rolled up a lefty and called my buddy over to give a hand. He wasn't really needed but many hands make light work. Its nice to have a top and bottom guy. One threads bolts and the other steadies the engine and makes sure you don't smash anything by mistake.

Last edited by myfirstyota; 01-03-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #3
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Installation

I gotta say, installation went super smooth. Because I used an entire xd for my swap, all the mounts lined up perfect. Apparently when keeping the Yaris trans there's some prying required to make the mounts line up. Totally not the case with xd hardware. No lies the engine was secured in 60 seconds.

This is where you start to smile. You stand back and realize after months of reading, researching, planning and spending are coming together. Your swap is happening. If your anything like me, you'll probably feel like a 6 yearold on his birthday.

Excuse my mess. This was a driveway job trying to beat the snow and cold of Ontario Canada. I didn't have the most ideal conditions or location. My driveway is horribly slanted with no cover from the elements. I only have a 130sq/f shed for my tools/parts/painting and whatnot.. But, I did it. You cant let that stuff stop you.

After the engine was in, wire harness plugged in, hoses, shift linkage , exhaust and the like all hooked up, and the front end was all buttoned up and back together, I tackled the maf wiring. Originally I was going to use the fuse tap method. But I got to thinking... this is a completely OEM swap (minus the bilsteins). Exactly how Toyota did it. Why wire it like a backyard swap? I headed to the xd in the driveway and promptly started prying at the fuse box. Couple nuts and it was loose(r) from the body and easier to crack open. I think it was about 8-10 little tabs and some careful prying. Bingo, you're in. From here you'll notice the fuse slots are powered by a buss on one side, and a little clip that the fuse is pushed into on the other. Get that clip. A scrap yard will do you just fine if you don't have a donor car. I imagine they aren't yaris or xd specific.

Now solder some more wire on to your fuse clip, and shrink wrap.

I made a couple of these pigtails to run other various accessories in the future
Now plug that clip into an empty fuse slot in the fuse box. Run that wire to the maf sensor (black and silver wire if I remember right. Double check that, seriously). Install fuse in the spot you populated with your pigtail and remember that's now your maf sensor fuse.

At this point, you have a swap. But there's that pesky immobilizer. Feel free to msg me, cranky, tmontague or anyone else who's done the swap and I'm sure they'll point you in the direction you need, as they did for me. Don't let that stop you!!! We will help!

Last edited by myfirstyota; 01-02-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

For the time being the car is currently sitting on its own suspension with the xd steering knuckles and hubs for winter storage. But it is in one piece and does run. Video to come.

Basically the car sits 90% complete at this point. I've just been collecting parts and prepping everything for the big install. Which is really just swapping out the struts and rear axle, bolting on the brakes and parking brake cables and bleeding the system. If you've worked on these cars before, you'll know that could all be done in one day. Easily.

I have no intention of installing the brand new shocks, brakes and whatnot just to have the car sit outside for the rest of the winter and it all rust up.

I have the steering knuckles painted, new bearings/retainer clips and the 4 lug hubs all lookin pretty. Just gotta get to the shop to have them pressed in. Should be in a week or so.

Got to the shop yesterday

If you're following along closely, you'll notice I have a 4 lug yaris hub and a complete (including transmission and cv axles) xd driveline. From what Ive read on other swap threads, if you used the xd transmission, you would need the CV axles and 5lug xd hubs. This is only half true. The xd transmission does require you to use xd cv shafts (bigger outputs on the trany mission) but the hub side is the same as the Yaris. Slide xd shafts into yaris hubs and away you go.

The front struts are almost ready for assembly as well. I'm going to plastidip the springs red as the Tein green doesn't match my theme. I ordered new spring seats cause the ones I had were pretty rusty. I got new spring isolators as well as the rubber was pretty degraded after 12 years. I plan to re use the strut bearings (edit: fuck it, I'm gettin new ones) and top bushings as Toyota wants over $100 each for the bushings. Edit: they are ready for assembly. Got the teins all cleaned up and plastidipped. Calling my buddy over to help get the nuts on the shocks. I'm pretty sure with one guy pushing down on the spring hat, I may be able to line up the shock piston and get the top nut started. We"ll see.

The rear axle is coming along. Its been cleaned up and painted. The hard lines on the axle were painted red. I have brand new OEM Toyota bearings for it as well. Waiting on my stainless lines to show up still. New spring seats for the bottom of the springs, the tops were still in good condish. All I really need to finish the axle is calipers (were raped from the axle in the u-pull yard) and ebrake cables. I'll be getting the calipers and brake cables either from rock auto or part source, whichever is cheaper. Reman stuff I know, but Toyota wanted over $1100 for 2 new calipers and brackets. F that.

All the replacement parts I used were OEM from Toyota (bushings/bearings and such). I don't get any deals so now you know why I'm almost $10k into my project ($3100 for the Yaris and $2200 for the xD make up a large part of that) Maybe that's why the guys at the parts desk gave me a snow brush and some flashlight/lantern promo item today when I went in to get my back ordered spring seat. They gave me 10% off the rear wheel bearings last week too.

Here's the battery tray I fabricated. I finally bit the bullet and bought a decent welder last fall. Although I don't know how to weld, or metal fabricate at all really, it didn't turn out that bad.... I think... we'll find out if the battery hits the floor after a month or so of driving lol

Last edited by myfirstyota; 09-08-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Old 12-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Looking forward to the thread.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #7
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Good stuff looking forward to the build. Thanks for the update
Old 12-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
since you're going 5 lug... just swap the whole front knuckle with the brake hardware lol.

same with rears, chop the hub mount off the SE rear axle and swap with yours, take out the rear hub for the xd's and put corolla 260x9mm rear rotors to complete the 5lug goodness.

great build plan btw! Bit disappointed in the suspension dept :P
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviri View Post
since you're going 5 lug... just swap the whole front knuckle with the brake hardware lol.

same with rears, chop the hub mount off the SE rear axle and swap with yours, take out the rear hub for the xd's and put corolla 260x9mm rear rotors to complete the 5lug goodness.

great build plan btw! Bit disappointed in the suspension dept :P
I wanted to stay 4 bolt for the stealth factor.

I ended up just sliding the xd axles into the Yaris hubs and bolting the xd calipers.up on yaris se 4 bolt rotors.

Contrary to popular belief, xd axles DO fit into Yaris front hubs. Only the trans side is larger.

Yea I opted away from coilovers. I have no plans to track the car more than a weekend or two here and there plus Toronto roads are pretty crap most of the time. The old man in me is tired of rattling teeth cause I rolled over a cigarette butt lol plus there's a cost factor. I already had the springs and was cheaper to buy shocks than coilovers. Figured bilsteins couldn't be too shit..

And I didn't know corolla rear rotors were the way to keep 5 lug and rear disks. Cool. I would imagine you'd just keep the xd 5 lug rear wheel bearings?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #10
tmontague

No plans on tracking it? Wth is the 300 hp for? Seems like a ton of cash just to impress a guy beside you in a civic at a stop light... ;)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Its for me dude. I'm a gear head through and through. Never built a turbo car. I'm a single guy with no kids and a good job. I gotta stay busy somehow.

And to be honest by the time its all said and done I'm totally expecting $25-30k invested. But that's not too much to watch a guy in a 911 loose to a Yaris on the 401 lol
Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #12
R2564952

Drives: 07 silver 5spd
I think you may need more than 300 bhp to beat a 911. https://youtu.be/-U6A145Dpks this was my Miata
R2564952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Technically I said 300+ hahahaha
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #14
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Its for me dude. I'm a gear head through and through. Never built a turbo car. I'm a single guy with no kids and a good job. I gotta stay busy somehow.

And to be honest by the time its all said and done I'm totally expecting $25-30k invested. But that's not too much to watch a guy in a 911 loose to a Yaris on the 401 lol
Haha fair enough, it would just be a shame to not see that build at the track blowing by STI's - it would be far more impressive on a track then on the street
Old 12-27-2018, 11:56 PM   #15
R2564952

Drives: 07 silver 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Technically I said 300+ hahahaha
It will be an epic build regardless
R2564952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #16
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

I guess I should have worded myself differently Trevor. Not that I won't track the car, but have no CURRENT intention to track the car REGULARLY. Now with that said, I am a gearhead. And the thought of heading to a track with a car I built on a gorgeous summer day to throw down some laps or passes sounds like a blast. You can count on seeing it at the track... Just not every weekend.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:38 AM   #17
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2564952 View Post
It will be an epic build regardless
My first turbo car/build. It will be fun for sure. If i can get the tkc kit on by the end of the summer I'll be happy. Will give me the winter to sort out the built engine. I don't expect to break 230whp this summer unfortunately. No winning lottery numbers yet lol
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Any chance you're planning to document your build with pics - especially the TKC turbo install? Do you think there will be substantial modifications needed to install the kit? There's not a heck of a lot of room left in my engine bay after the swap.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote