Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
pfahls1

Drives: Sedan
Metalized tint with integrated antenna

Does anyone know if the metalized tint causes degraded
radio reception?

Thanks.
pfahls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
not the tint, but when i switched out the factory deck with an aftermarket one, my reception went way down...
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
really? but doesnt the sound quality increase as to where aftermarket deck you turn up about at volume 5 and its the equivalent to volume 12 of the stock Toyota deck?

It shouldnt. Tints are just a piece of thin film, no after effects on electronic things. I was gonna get a mirror like tin on my Yaris and they guy said it has no interference w/ electronics.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
be careful with metallic pigmented tints. from other's responses, i've heard that fm recepetion isnt affected, but am reception gets a little worse. no one listens to am, but the traffic report can come in handy from time to time. however, should you get gps navigation, metallized tints and where you place your gps antenna will have a drastic effect as to whether you get a useful navigation system, or a couple thousand bucks worth of junk. metallized tints all around your windows will create a faraday cage, which is quite useful for blocking transmissions and reception of gps signals, cellular phones, and radio frequencies. if you got the cash, look into ceramic tints by formula one. if youre not gonna get gps, then metallized tints are very cost-effective and look great. hope this helps...

--B
Old 07-20-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
really? but doesnt the sound quality increase as to where aftermarket deck you turn up about at volume 5 and its the equivalent to volume 12 of the stock Toyota deck?

It shouldnt. Tints are just a piece of thin film, no after effects on electronic things. I was gonna get a mirror like tin on my Yaris and they guy said it has no interference w/ electronics.
yeah, the sound quality is a little better, but i think the OEM deck was pretty good for being that, an OEM deck.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfahls1 View Post
radio reception?

Thanks.
i had metallic tint on another car and my tv reception went down the tubes. the tv antenna was on the inside of the rear windshield. i didn't listen to the radio at all so i don't really remember how it sounded.
reznunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Sway84

Drives: 07 Yaris HB
Send a message via MSN to Sway84
yea ive noticed with aftermarket decks the reception goes down...but performance of ure deck provides an average of 180-200 watts lol... the oem deck provides like 13watts per speaker....

Ron Cabading
Sway84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
pfahls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808 View Post
be careful with metallic pigmented tints. from other's responses, i've heard that fm recepetion isnt affected, but am reception gets a little worse. no one listens to am, but the traffic report can come in handy from time to time. however, should you get gps navigation, metallized tints and where you place your gps antenna will have a drastic effect as to whether you get a useful navigation system, or a couple thousand bucks worth of junk. metallized tints all around your windows will create a faraday cage, which is quite useful for blocking transmissions and reception of gps signals, cellular phones, and radio frequencies. if you got the cash, look into ceramic tints by formula one. if youre not gonna get gps, then metallized tints are very cost-effective and look great. hope this helps...

--B
Thanks. That is what I needed to know. I don't listen to AM at all. And all of the FM stations I listen to are in a 10-15 mile radii so I think I should be fine.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Sorry if I sould noobish, but I'm currently at work and don't have time to research.

What is this metallic tint you guys speak of?
What is this ceramic tint you speak of?
What are the benifits of either of these tints?

Thanks in advance, will check back within an hour or so
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
static808

Quote:
Thanks. That is what I needed to know. I don't listen to AM at all. And all of the FM stations I listen to are in a 10-15 mile radii so I think I should be fine.
no probs. you'll probably be listening to your ipod or cd's/mp3s anyways! have fun!

--B
Old 07-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
static808

Quote:
Originally Posted by eijikikimaru View Post
Sorry if I sould noobish, but I'm currently at work and don't have time to research.

What is this metallic tint you guys speak of?
What is this ceramic tint you speak of?
What are the benifits of either of these tints?

Thanks in advance, will check back within an hour or so
window tints are just thin films placed inside on windows. the color of the tint depends on the manufacturing process. tints that are dyed are the ones that turn purple, once they absorb enough uv rays to discolor the film. however, today's dyed tints have better color stable technology, so they last a lot longer. 3m makes a good color stable tint. tints that have metallic pigments infused into them resist turning purple, and reflect a lot of heat, meaning energy savings as well. but these metallized tints can create interference for radio, gps and cellular signals on a case-by-case basis, depending on which windows are tinted and where the antennas/gps/cell phones are located in the car. ceramic tints using ceramic particles instead of metallic ones, and these are supposed to give the performance of metallized tints without the interference issues. however, there are still cases of gps interference with certain ceramic brands. prices go like this: dye < metallic < color stable dye < ceramic. hope this helps a little bit...

--B
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
radio reception?

Thanks.
yes it will.... in cars that have intigrated antennas into the glass... for example my wife's Alero we have ceramic tint for that exact reason
Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
pfahls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
yes it will.... in cars that have intigrated antennas into the glass... for example my wife's Alero we have ceramic tint for that exact reason
Has anyone personally witnessed this interferance? There is a post above that states it does not affect reception based on there own observations with this specific application. I too had an Alero before my Yaris. (Hit and run ended that for me), but my windows where not tinted.

So, - If anyone actually has a yaris sedan with metalized tint installed, please let me know your observations with radio reception.

Thanks for the posts so far guy's.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
not the tint, but when i switched out the factory deck with an aftermarket one, my reception went way down...
Yarii have powered antennae. Did you power the antenna when you put the new deck in?
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway84 View Post
yea ive noticed with aftermarket decks the reception goes down...but performance of ure deck provides an average of 180-200 watts lol... the oem deck provides like 13watts per speaker....
yeah...man, i still want to swap out my factory speakers for some aftermarket ones, and add an amp to them...
Old 07-21-2007, 01:53 AM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post
Yarii have powered antennae. Did you power the antenna when you put the new deck in?
powered antenna? i thought those are the antennae that go up when the power is turned on... but, yeah, i connected all the wires that had to be connected...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:16 AM   #17
njyaris
YARIS NEWBIE

Drives: YARIS 07 LIFTBACK
Send a message via AIM to njyaris Send a message via Yahoo to njyaris
dude post a pic of your metallic tint ..
Old 07-21-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

whom are you talking to? if it's me, take a look at my garage =P