Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 AM   #1
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Hüsker Gets Hit

Hüsker (that would be my car) took a hit today. Driving home from work I was stopped due to traffic when a Honda CRV hits me from behind. I pull to the side and start to get out of my car when the Honda takes off running. I chase after him. There is pretty heavy traffic and he is driving crazy as he ignores all traffic laws and flies down city streets. I was able to keep up with him for about 5 minutes, long enough to get close enough to get a picture of his license plate before he loses me. Don't know what I would have done if I caught him. (Based on the neighborhood where it happened and the brief glimpses I got of the driver I'd put even money that he was an illegal alien with no insurance. No that is not an anti-Latino screed, just a strong possibility based on circumstances.)

So I stop and get out to finally have a look at the damage. It's not too bad. The left side of my rear bumper is knocked off and scratched up a little but it's not cracked. I was able to knock it back into place.

Get back in car and drive to the local police precinct. Inside I tell the officer at the desk that I want to report a hit and run, tell him I have a picture of the license plate of the car that hit me. He could not have been less interested. Tells me that it’s a "civilian accident" and I have to report it myself to my insurance. I tell him I have no desire to tell the insurance company as the damage is minimal and I will just repair it myself but that I want to report the other car for leaving the scene. He says if I wanted to do that I should have called 911. WHAT?

According to him if it was a "real accident" I am supposed to stay at the scene and call 911 so that the police could come and "investigate the scene". I point out that if I had done that there would be no "scene" to investigate as the other car ran away and that if I had stayed at the scene I would have been unable to identify the other car by license plate number. He says "that's what you're supposed to do." NEVER even looks at the picture on my phone that I'm trying to show him. Goes over to a cabinet, ruffles thru some papers, and comes back with a "Motor Vehicle Accident Report Form" that looks like it had been photocopied 20 times, I mean you can barely read it. Tells me to fill it out and send it to the DMV. "And then what?" I ask. "So there's an accident report for your insurance" he says. So once again I tell him I'm not going to use my insurance, that I came here to report a hit and run, that there is a dangerous driver out there with no respect for the law and that next time it might be a little old lady crossing the street. "That's what you have to do", he says, referring to the form. And yet the NYPD wonders why the "public perception" of them is "off". I am by no means anti-cop but this kind of nonsense does not help their cause. (BTW I am a middle aged white guy voluntarily coming in to report a crime and I was treated rudely and dismissively. What would the situation where none of that was true have looked like?)

I finally get home and have a good look at things. It’s really not too bad. You probably wouldn't even know from a casual glance. There are some scratches but not too deep, and thankfully nothing is cracked. The bumper is slightly misaligned where it meets the left tail light. It looks like one of the tabs that snaps in there is bent. When I get a chance next week I'm going to take it off and realign it. I think it will be OK. Could definitely have been a lot worse. I'll just think of the scratches as character lines. She already had a few anyway courtesy of NYC drivers and especially NYC parkers. ARGHH!

To sum up:
1. Not anti-Latino
2. Not anti-cop
3. Just pissed

Thank you to my fellow Yarisworld members for letting me vent.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #2
bairjo

Sorry for your luck there SE, perhaps you can turn your information over to your insurance company and they can do an investigation or follow up some how.

Either that find out who the dude is and hire "Guido" to handle it....
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
nortonfb

Drives: 2007
I don't know NY law but it's usual in the scenario you have described:
1) Nothing will be done because there is not sufficient property or personal injury
to justify the cost of an investigation.
2) Your insurance company MAYBE interested in the plate. This may cause you more
pain. It may delay payment while they investigate. Which means it will sit on someones desk and never followed up on.
If it were me I would do the paperwork as a hit and run, vehicle left the scene.
I have experience in the field for what it's worth.
nortonfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yeah i got into a little fender bender in northern blvd (also hit and run), police dont really give a damn. Took care of it myself, all i have is a little mark on the rear jdm bumper and i had to replace one of the bumper retainers that's bolted on the body for 28 bucks.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Sorry to hear about your Yari, and the depressing response to your accident report.

It's just another small example of the institutionalized/societal apathy and mindless bureaucracy that our culture has seemed to nurture more and more as time passes. Life, security, and liberty is now a cheap, disposable commodity - unless it happens to make a good sanctimonious sound bite for the news or political mud-slinging that particular week (after which it is quickly forgotten).

Last edited by Kalispel; 10-10-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
nortonfb

It's not the police don't want to do their job. It's the harsh reality that we cannot afford
it. Allotment of resources are based upon numerous reasons including politics, time of day,
staffing, priority and availability. In NYC, there is a moral problem because of politics.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Sorry to hear about your Yari, and the depressing response to your accident report.

It's just another small example of the institutionalized/societal apathy and mindless bureaucracy that our culture has seemed to nurture more and more as time passes. Life, security, and liberty is now a cheap, disposable commodity - unless it happens to make a good sanctimonious sound bite for the news or political mud-slinging that particular week (after which it is quickly forgotten).

in other words....that's just the way it is....
Old 10-11-2015, 03:51 AM   #8
NYC-SE

Thanks guys for your show of sympathy. Yeah it sucks but not much I can do anyhow.

I'm not going to report it to my insurance. It's just not worth the hassle. If the damage were more serious of course I would but as it is there isn't enough damage to warrant a claim. I don't want them to know I was in an accident, even if it wasn't my fault. I just don't trust insurance companies. I fear they will raise my rates just from knowing an accident took place even if no claim was made. Also once an accident report is filed it stays with the vehicle history. I love the car and have no intention of selling it but if for some reason I chose to the fact that the car was in an accident, however minor, would negatively impact the selling price. CARFAX anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonfb View Post
It's not the police don't want to do their job. It's the harsh reality that we cannot afford
it. Allotment of resources are based upon numerous reasons including politics, time of day,
staffing, priority and availability. In NYC, there is a moral problem because of politics.
nortonfb, I see you are a police officer. Thank you for your service. Sincerely. I understand what you are saying but I must respectfully take exception. I realize there are priorities, budgetary considerations, etc. but I was not asking them to mobilize a SWAT team to hunt this guy down and I don't see how entering his license plate into a database that already exists would overtax NYPD resources. But even if that were true it is no excuse for rude behavior. Common courtesy goes a long way in any profession that deals with the public. It costs just as much to smile as it does to frown.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
nortonfb

Former PO.
Your right there is no excuse for rudeness.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Had a similar experience at Walmart. What I learned from that accident is I should have immediately called 911 while following the car. Then they would have nailed the driver. After the fact, the police also told me it's a civil matter. Lesson learned for both of us. Call 911 while in pursuit of the other car.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:44 PM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
And it didn't seem the cop wanted to help you at all. What a shame that someone gets so cold and calloused to their job. He really needs to find a new line of work. No excuse for that. Period.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
no excuse for rude behavior. Common courtesy goes a long way in any profession that deals with the public. It costs just as much to smile as it does to frown.
These guys are human beings....no telling what they just went through before your issue. Yea, they are held to a higher standard...but they are not machines...they do have bad days...but unlike the rest of us...they have their bad days on a public stage......just a thought.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #13
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
These guys are human beings...
As am I

Quote:
...they do have bad days
As was I

Look I don't want to turn this thread into a cop bashing / cop praising flame war. I am in neither camp. I will offer praise or criticism where it is due. In my opinion criticism was due IN THIS CASE.

I grew up in New York City and have lived here for (almost) half a century. I VIVIDLY remember what this place was like during the 70's and 80's. I could list the crimes that were perpetrated against me, other family members and friends but I don't want to crash the Yarisworld servers. Yes all those stories you heard about what a lunatic asylum this city was during that time are true. NYC today is nothing like that. In large part that is due to strong, effective police work. The NYPD deserves credit for this city's renaissance. What I saw during my interaction with the officer the other day was a sort of "that's just the way it is" attitude that was too common among the police (and the citizenry) during the bad old days, mixed with a "because I said so" stance. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it now. (Yes I know that this was hardly the crime of the century, but still.)

Now to get this thread back on track...
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #14
NYC-SE

I pulled the bumper off today and realigned everything. Looks much better. There is still a very, very slight gap where it meets the left tail light but in all honesty it may have always been that way and I just noticed it now that I'm REALLY looking. I don't think anybody would even notice it unless I pointed it out.

Also I took some Bon Ami (a very mild abrasive cleaner) and a little water, enough to make a paste like consistency, and worked that gently around the scratches. It helped to smooth them out and take the edge off of them. They're still there but look slightly better. (If anybody is going to try this be VERY, VERY careful. Plastic is easily scratched. If you are too aggressive you WILL make things worse.)

Overall I'm feeling much better about things today. Still a little pissed of course but the car looks much better than when I first stepped out after the accident. Hüsker lives on.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
bairjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
As am I

As was I

Look I don't want to turn this thread into a cop bashing / cop praising flame war. I am in neither camp. I will offer praise or criticism where it is due. In my opinion criticism was due IN THIS CASE.

I grew up in New York City and have lived here for (almost) half a century. I VIVIDLY remember what this place was like during the 70's and 80's. I could list the crimes that were perpetrated against me, other family members and friends but I don't want to crash the Yarisworld servers. Yes all those stories you heard about what a lunatic asylum this city was during that time are true. NYC today is nothing like that. In large part that is due to strong, effective police work. The NYPD deserves credit for this city's renaissance. What I saw during my interaction with the officer the other day was a sort of "that's just the way it is" attitude that was too common among the police (and the citizenry) during the bad old days, mixed with a "because I said so" stance. I didn't like it then and I still don't like it now. (Yes I know that this was hardly the crime of the century, but still.)

Now to get this thread back on track...
I agree with how the city is today...I was there a few times a few years ago when my daughter was doing an internship there. Quite frankly I felt safer there than when I was in Cleveland for an event....and Cleveland is no NYC by scale. One last thing regarding good day bad days....I have found that 99% of the time I find myself in a situation when the other person is well...not as pleasant as I would like, I ask them, how is your day going, or something like..You finishing up your shift soon?...it almost always changes the direction of things...a smile on my part sometimes helps if the conversation works it in....just a thought.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
...One last thing regarding good day bad days....I have found that 99% of the time I find myself in a situation when the other person is well...not as pleasant as I would like, I ask them, how is your day going, or something like..You finishing up your shift soon?...it almost always changes the direction of things...a smile on my part sometimes helps if the conversation works it in....just a thought.
Good advice.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #17
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Good advice.
Yes it is.