Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
rwyu

Drives: 2010 Yaris; 2008 BMW 335i
New Yaris Owner

I bought my 2010 Toyota Yaris from DCH Oxnard today around 9pm! It is still at the dealer since I have to get proof of insurance since I forgot to bring the policy for my other car when I was down there! Has 5 miles on it in the lot and can't wait for it to be driven hard!! Questions though: Have you guys experience any or if there is any known mechanical failures in the cars during the first 30k miles? The reason why I asked this is because I am planning to use this as my daily driven car while my 335i will be my weekend car. Thanks!

-Richard
rwyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
The data suggests that a Yaris will be trouble free well beyond the 30k mark.

As far as a yaris for a DD......
That is exactly what I use my 3door, HD Yaris (manual tranny) for.
My other car is a Celica and is now used only for pleasure use only in fair weather, etc.

I commute with my Yaris on an interstate type highway and I do push it hard. It has plenty of power for this.

Bottom line, I think a Yaris is a great inexpensive second car for comuting/DD purposes.

BTW, I wolud seriously consider getting a rear sway bar for your Yaris as it wiil make a dramatic inprovement in the handeling.

Last edited by RedRide; 01-01-2010 at 12:31 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
rwyu

Awesomeness. Thanks for the info! +REP However, I will miss the sound of my turbos spinning and the blow-off value though. Might consider going F/I in the future when I have the time for it. Pictures will be posted soon once I get it. I will have pictures available with my BMW 335i as well!

-Richard

PS I will definitely take a look at the sway bars.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
IMO, spending too much time and money to get more performance out of a yaris really defeats the purpose of Yaris which is a cheap, practical, dependable car that gets good mileage.
Personally I just enjoy it for what it is and have absolutly no regrets about getting it

BTW, after driving my Yaris exclusively for a few days, when I do get in my '02 Celica, I really enjoy it that much more as it keeps the driving experience of the Celica fresh.
I suspect it wiil be the same with your BMW.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
rwyu, definitely stop by my shop sometime and meet up. I'm in Canoga Park, and I have a playground of parts for you.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Richard, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
rwyu

Cali - I will definitely stop by to your shop and see what kinds of upgrades I want to improve on the car's handling within the next few weeks since I am overswamped with projects at work. I was up in Malibu Canyon today and did some runs and this baby can corner!! First on my list will be sway bars.

Tomato - Thanks! I will definitely baby this car as I have done to my 335i.

Pictures will be up by tomorrow for both of my rides.

-Richard