Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
just got keyed!!!

damn...i just got myc ar keyed while parked at work! im so pissed...its about 2ft long and runs down halfway through my drivers side door...it doesnt seem too deep in most places but it goes deep enough at one point that you can see white. does anybody know of any good quick fix solutions for this? ihave some meguires scratch x...will that help much?

im hoping i dont have to get the whole side door panel repainted =(
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Scratch X should work, as long as the scratch isn't too deep.
Good luck getting it fixed!
Old 01-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
random act or intentional?? :O

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
scratch X might work, but you have to rub the spot like forever! I got most my my keyed spots w/ that and scratches w/ that and Nu-On as well. Good luck :(
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Take it to a body shop and have them asset it. Lot of shops have quick fixes for stuff like this that dont require repainting. I think i saw some commertial for something called fix it. the slogan "the scratch has met its match" Which appears to be a clear silicon type substance that fills in the scratch so you cant see it from angles and only can barely tell from looking at it directly on up close. But i only think this works if its not down to the bare metal.

I would attempt to use scratch x first before anything other. At the very least it will make other products work better since the scratch isnt as deep. I have a few deep scratches on my car and scratch x didnt fit it completely like new but made it a lot less noticible. Enough for me to live with. Maybe years from now when my paint starts to fade i will get a really good paint job with more than just a thin layer of paint to withstand scratches.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:57 AM   #6
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Hate the key-ers! Bunch of as$holes. They got me 2 years ago. Was all over the hood, doors, trunk. Had to repaint the whole car :(
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
welcome to the club and let us know how much the body shop estimate is....
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
You just got served!!
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
songa

thanks for the suggestions guys...it still annoys me how anybody could want to do this to someones car RANDOMLY. this was not because of something i did. and what makes it worse is that this happened while i was at work, parked in my buildings parking lot which is where i am parked everyday (including right now). i swear, if i caught the person doing it he would be gettin his ass beat. theres just no reason for this kind of vandalism, and if ur gonna do it anonymously and not take responsibility for it, then ur a bitch!

anyways, sorry bout my rant. i'll take it to a shop and hopefully they can help me out on the cheap. i used a lil scratch x earlier yesterday but it didnt do much. maybe i need to use more. thanks for the help tho guys.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
markitect

Drives: Yaris
A good detailing shop can probably take care of it too.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Yawesh

Drives: 08 sedan at
Quote:
Originally Posted by songa View Post
damn...i just got myc ar keyed while parked at work! im so pissed...its about 2ft long and runs down halfway through my drivers side door...it doesnt seem too deep in most places but it goes deep enough at one point that you can see white. does anybody know of any good quick fix solutions for this? ihave some meguires scratch x...will that help much?

im hoping i dont have to get the whole side door panel repainted =(
any pics?
Yawesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
songa

sorry no pics yet...i don thave a digi cam so its a pain for me to try to get photos up here.

quick question...is it common for car insurance to cover at least part of the repair costs for a key scratcH??? just a thought...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
did you check with the boss or building management, you'd be surprised how many lots are under video survailance, hec my old firm, my boss put the lot under survailance himself after his car was vandalized, if i hadn't been in the office when he was installing the digital cam i wouldn't have known.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
get the $10 color matched paint filler pen for chips and scratches from the dealer, use denatured alchahol to clean the scratch out then use the pen on it, after 24hr use scratchx to buff it. if you are worried about minor imperfections it leaves then take it to a pro.

and I have keyed cars before but not without reason.
If someone parks too close and I can't get into my car and have to crawl through the passenger side to get in, expect keying to commence.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:21 PM   #15
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post
get the $10 color matched paint filler pen for chips and scratches from the dealer, use denatured alchahol to clean the scratch out then use the pen on it, after 24hr use scratchx to buff it. if you are worried about minor imperfections it leaves then take it to a pro.

If someone parks too close and I can't get into my car and have to crawl through the passenger side to get in, expect keying to commence.
Very nice.
You are a class act.....................

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #16
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka0sx View Post

people like you scare the crap out of me when I park my yaris. I park square in the middle and a little more forward so if anyone swings their door open it'll hopefully hit the back and not my doors.... even so.... Im not worried about my parking but the idiots that come along and park like idiots.

Like this night @ CVS..... note the line on the floor.... had to eneter my car from the opposite side and pull in and out without scratching my baby up!! :[

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Very nice.
You are a class act.....................
why thank you, parking is much simpler then driving, so why cant people take the time to do it right?
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #18
songa

damn....so this past weekend my car took some more damaged. this time, while parked on the street outside my apt. lukcily tho, it was only my side mirror. apparently someone hit it and th eplastic on the mirror is all messed up and cracked and alot of it fell off. somehow, the mirror is OK and still stays in place so its still useable. man...this car is brand new (only had it for 2 or 3 months) and i already got all this damage. i was real excited to do some modifications to it but i just dont care anymore. i dont want to spend all this money on my car and jus thave it get damaged for no reason all the time. being attached to a car sucks!! =( i got a set of unused DF210's that i will probably be selling if anyones ineterested...