Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
BigLebowski

Drives: 1.4 D
dipstick oil level uncertainty 1.4 diesel

This sounds an odd topic, but when I remove the dipstick, the oil level on each side is different.

On one side the level is slightly above the top marker. On the other side, it is just above the bottom marker. ie There's about two inches discrepancy on either side. Which is correct? Either I have slightly overfilled it or it needs a bit more oil.

Anyone any ideas what causes this and which side should i use?

Best
Dude
BigLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
My '05 Tundra is the same way. One side of the stick shows the level way over full, and the other side shows the actual level. I really can not say why that is.
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #3
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I had a 1.4 D4D Yaris and the dipstick was just the same. I've no idea why.
However, when I changed the engine oil and after adding the correct amount to the sump I know the level should show correctly. I found that the correct level indicated on the side of the dipstick which faced the rear of the car. The other side showed a level below the minimum mark and the oil was "smeared" to above the full mark.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
when you pull your dipstick out of the tube, you gotta realize that oil splashes in the oil pan, also there is oil pressure.

If you leave your dipstick out and drive around, oil will spit and slutter out of the dipstick tube and all over your engine bay..
With that said, there is oil all along the side of the dipstick tube after driving.

So, when you remove your disptick, one side will probably always slide against the tube wall and will catch oil while you pull it up along the tube.

To get the best reading, try removing the dipstick first time and just simply clean it off.
Put it back in and pull it out again. Look to see which side has the most oil on it, thats usually the side that is dragging against the wall. wipe it off, and when you put the stick back in, try facing the indicator the opposite of where most of the oil was gathered.
push it all the way in and remove for the 3rd time. This should be the best reading.

If you have two readings, go by the lesser one. Cuz obviously the indicator has to dip into oil in order to read anything.

Reminder. depending on when you check the oil. IF you have just started the engine to warm up the car, and check the oil afterwards. you gotta realize there is oil still sitting along the walls of the block and in the head. Id let it sit for 15 mins to let all the oil drip to the pan and check again.

Hope this sheds some light on this issue

EDIT:Id like to add that that its ok for the oil level to be anywhere between the MIN and MAX indicator.. the 2 dots are just that, a min and max. Your oil sump will still pick up oil if it shows anywhere on the dipstick. If its on min, It wont hurt to add a quart. but it wont hurt also to drive it to the store to pick up a quart either.

Last edited by ilikerice; 06-13-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: adding info
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I have noticed that on other dipsticks besides my Yaris (and ECHO) It helps that one side will always be more than the other and that is the correct level in my experisnce.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
"If you have two readings, go by the lesser one."

Which in my case would be incorrect because I knew the higher reading to be correct after adding 4 litres of oil to an empty sump.
Using the "lesser" level could lead to an overfill and the resulting problems that might cause!
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
ilikerice

possibly.. not saying your wrong, but there are other factors.

but to bring piece of mind to people. 1 quart over wont really do any damage. The worse it cuold do is splash more and get past the piston rings and cause some black smoke..

when i autocross.. I add an extra half a quart to my engine cuz when you take sharp turns as often and WOT constantly during track events, oil is pushed to one side. I have spun a bearing or two cuz i didnt "overfill" my oil.

I would be more concerned with a low oil lvl then overfill.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
possibly.. not saying your wrong, but there are other factors.

but to bring piece of mind to people. 1 quart over wont really do any damage. The worse it cuold do is splash more and get past the piston rings and cause some black smoke..

when i autocross.. I add an extra half a quart to my engine cuz when you take sharp turns as often and WOT constantly during track events, oil is pushed to one side. I have spun a bearing or two cuz i didnt "overfill" my oil.

I would be more concerned with a low oil lvl then overfill.
Really its not necessary to overfill the engine. It should not be a problem to correctly deterimine what the level is. Especially if you just changed the oil and added the correct refill ammount.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
ilikerice

definitly! Dont overfill your engine with oil. I was making a point that if you DO overfill, or are worried about what the dipstick says cuz you are unsure of how much oil you just put in, that its not going to do any damage because people do it for track events all the time.

Quote:
Especially if you just changed the oil and added the correct refill ammount
in that case if you are confindent in your oil change you shouldnt even have to bother to look at the dipstick. but lets stick to the OP question

I never said to overfill is necessary.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you dont see oil on both sides of the stick, then you need to add a quart. check again.
repeat til you see oil on both sides AT LEAST to the bottom dot.

To me. I think the OP should check his oil again and clean the stick and recheck to see where its at.. we dont know if he just did an oil change or if he just checked it when he pulled up to the driveway.