Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
SLIK4
Michael

Drives: 07 Silver Yaris Sedan
Custom Exhaust...could use some input

I cant find too much on the flowmaster 60 series of mufflers around here...yes i have searched. after debating for a long time on whether i should go axle back from garm or custom cat back, i've decided to go custom. my initial plan is to go 2.25 pipe stock res and run the flowmaster 60 muffler. has anybody heard these mufflers on a yaris in real life? i'm wanting a good deep aggressive sound without being loud and doesn't drone while cruzin. if you think there is any out there better than the flowmaster let me know :)
SLIK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I have the Tanabe Medallion which is advertised as "discrete" and "under 93 db" and is hecka loud Compared with the stock exhaust anyways. I sound-proofed the floor in the rear which improved the noise level in the cabin a bit, but it's still hecka loud
Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
yarr_is

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
I have the Tanabe Medallion which is advertised as "discrete" and "under 93 db" and is hecka loud Compared with the stock exhaust anyways. I sound-proofed the floor in the rear which improved the noise level in the cabin a bit, but it's still hecka loud
Did you change the piping...?

The medalion touring is quiet... but not quieter than stock. 93db doesn't mean quiet.. and of course when you change exhaust it'll be louder than stock. I've had MT on other cars and different exhaust on other cars.. and trust me Tanabe is pretty quiet.

They test these by revving up the car at certain rpm and measure the DB level.

Oh and you do know that the Medalion Touring is an axle back right...? Unless you have a different mid pipe that would be why it'll be loud.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
2.25 is too big for this car if you dont have other major upgrades.. 1.75-2.0 diameter is better..but thats just me..

Last edited by marcus; 07-23-2010 at 11:45 AM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
i think the nitto mid pipe is 2 inches, like marcus said i wouldn't go any bigger than that
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
SLIK4
Michael

thanks guys :) i can do 2in no problem. now does any know about the flowmaster 60 series and how it will sound?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
2" is good, you'll retain some back pressure and maximize your hp gains.

I used that muffler before, nice rich deep tones. I use Vibrant now, but the Flowmaster is very good.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
2" is good, you'll retain some back pressure and maximize your hp gains.

I used that muffler before, nice rich deep tones. I use Vibrant now, but the Flowmaster is very good.
exhaust velocity is more important than "backpressure"
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
SLIK4
Michael

thanks for the pics! i was hoping i could use the center inlet offset outlet 2in style and fit it in like this one...http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...hp?t=9520...do you think it would fit?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
fwynn

Drives: 1999 NHBP Honda Prelude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
exhaust velocity is more important than "backpressure"

+1 this is very important.
fwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
i'll try to post up some video clips foryou, but I ran the 60 for over a year, and loved every part of it. It sounds perfect (as do all flowmasters) at full throttle, but being a 60, it was not just subtle, it sounded almost exactly stock at idle. I'm a big fan of that, cuz i hate sitting at a light listening to my muffler, ya know? I think it's the best sounding thing out there personally, but that's your call.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post
i'll try to post up some video clips foryou, but I ran the 60 for over a year, and loved every part of it. It sounds perfect (as do all flowmasters) at full throttle, but being a 60, it was not just subtle, it sounded almost exactly stock at idle. I'm a big fan of that, cuz i hate sitting at a light listening to my muffler, ya know? I think it's the best sounding thing out there personally, but that's your call.
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the good review, shinlee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlee View Post
I personally looked at it myself before my exhaust was put in, and it is a straight flow through 2'' center resonator.
Which resonator did you go with? The smallest diameter one on the Flowmaster site is 3" and offset on both sides:
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/sh...oducts_id=2299
Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
shinlee

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=32350826

stock exhaust

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=32351315

straight pipe (no muffler at all, ran on a 2'' pipe)

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=32352422

60 series on a 2'' pipe

I included the stock so you could tell the difference, since my camera sucks nuts, sorry bout that!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
SLIK4
Michael

thanks alot for the sound clips Shinlee

alright so i'm def goin with 2in piping and more han likely the 60 series thanks to Shin. next ? is should i keep the stock res or go with a glasspack in its place? what exactly would the glasspack do to the sound? and how long of a glasspack should be used?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
shinlee

well, if you want the drivability (i.e. less noise when you're cruising at highway speeds) the stock res is fine. Hell, irregardless, the stock res is fine if you're running a 2'' pipe. I personally looked at it myself before my exhaust was put in, and it is a straight flow through 2'' center resonator. (That's why I chose 2'', no point going bigger than the smallest point on the system, ya know?) So a glasspack or stock res should net exactly the same power, just differnt noises :)
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
SLIK4
Michael

what kind of noise difference would the glasspack make? louder or quieter? deeper maybe?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
shinlee

my personal experience is it makes it louder, but you wouldn't get much deeper just due to the motor i'd imagine.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
SLIK4
Michael

thanks for all your help shinlee, i appreciate it. you too garm :) last question is i'm not 100% sure on the order of things on the stock exhaust. is there just one resonator after the cat or two? if there are two then which one would i want to replace with the glasspack?