Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #289
musiclysweet18
 
Drives: 2007 yaris sedan
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: santa maria, ca
Posts: 5
Send a message via AIM to musiclysweet18
Thumbs down Im sad

I never get on this site but I used to a lot when I first got my car, but im very upset about this. This was a great website for the Yaris lovers everywhere! Well I will try to help as much as I can now
musiclysweet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 AM   #290
dlinkwit27
 
Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 56
Ok, I have read this entire thread, and I have something to say. First off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyachris84 View Post
This is like 9/11 for yarisworld... lol

Damn terrorist!
No it is not. Thousands of people lost their lives in that event. Thousands more have died in the effects of that event. What was lost here? Some threads and post counts. A few numbers on a website. For those of us who actually lost someone or knows someone who lost someone in the real 9/11 or the wars that followed (no matter whether or not you support them) this is an extremely ignorant and offensive comment.

To the admin: We need to know what all is missing. IP Logs, passwords, personal messages? The members of this board need to know what sort of personal information was compromised. I strongly advise everyone to change their password if their account was kept alive, and to use a different one if you need to re-register. The same goes with e-mail addresses.

To the vendors: The members here would appreciate it if you stay, but also please understand the administrator's point of view also. While I do not know the exact details behind the payments, the way it looks from the outside is that as a financial contributor, the vendors contributed very little to the upkeep of the site. The fact is that the admin could potentially make more money by using google ads or another service. It is his site, and he has every right to use it as he sees fit.

Likewise, it is the vendors' money and if they wish to take their business elsewhere, that is their right. I would strongly encourage them to look at the member support they receive here. While you may lose a sub forum and banner ads, the admin has not specifically stated that you cannot continue to post your products here. So, I would suggest sticking around, advertise using your sig, and when you have a new product or group buy, make a thread about it. I highly doubt that the number of customers you get drops significantly due to lack of a specific forum section.

Not only that, but look at your cost benefit analysis. How many purchases need to be made to make up for your payment to the board? Again, I am not claiming to know the details of the agreement, but if your website is configured properly, you can easily track what visits originated from this site, and what they bought. Also, not to be cynical, but how many boards are there really for advertising for a Yaris?

While the hacking was unfortunate, it was only that. This is a board. Life goes on. Nobody's car was actually stolen, nobody but the admin was harmed (yet), so life goes on. Quit worrying about your post counts, the admin can restore them if he really needs to. Go on about your life and move on.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:13 AM   #291
jambo101
 
jambo101's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 1,286
Is there some reason a lot of members changed user names?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #292
jambo101
 
jambo101's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinkwit27 View Post
Before I read the whole thread, THOSE OF YOU WHO DID NOT LOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS CHANGE YOUR PW ASAP!
Why would i need to change my password? and why have a lot of members changed their user names?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #293
DFA
Compulsive Washer
 
DFA's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Panama City, Panama
Posts: 395
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is there some reason a lot of members changed user names?
Prolly just people bored with their old usernames...
__________________

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #294
YarisBueller
Administrator
 
YarisBueller's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 178
Just catching up on the nights posts and well said everyone! Its great to see the vast majority of ppl ready to rebuild. Theres no sense in trying to beat each other up over this as the only people that loose is our community and the people who win are the people who like to see harm to the community. We are where we are and have to live with it. Again to the people who want me to fry over this, I have a tremendous amount of pain and guilt over this and a few black and blue marks on my fists from pounding the walls. But at this point, being angry isnt what helps the site get back online and running, being focused on the task at hand is.

On the vendors issue, I can say for sure its during times of trouble like this that the people with integrity stand up and offer help (some with big monetary donations) and others just act selfish and whine. Only 1 vendor has asked for his money back and got it back; the rest have all said they want to stay and its notable that some really stood up for the community!

The issue of what was compromised. I don't think the hacker took a copy of the forum database for himself since it was nearly 3GB in size and to transfer something that large would require SSH and or FTP. And neither SSH or FTP was used to get in. So it would seem nothing was taken in terms of email addresses or PMs. What was probably done was a MySQL attack where he was able to wipe out the databases using the server against itself basicly.

What we have planned/done. So far all the software has been upgraded and/or downgraded to more secure versions and i'm lining up an entirely new server for us to use which adds not only computing power but also a higher grade of service provider who can give us additional secuity features. This move to a new computer will take some time since I want to let the dust settle on this issue before attempting a move of the entire forum to a new computer. We also have outsourced daily backups to offsite locations so our data is secure from this point forward.

Thanks again to everyone who has stood up, been vocal, united and have begun to recreate alot of the lost information. This kind of effort is something i've only seen on YW and really will benefit everyone on this forum.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #295
ToddR
Bacon!
 
ToddR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 45
Hurray backups! Boooo hackers!

Sucks now, but it'll get better.
ToddR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 AM   #296
Klink10
 
Klink10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 910
Posts: 1,229
May I ask which vendor decided to leave. Also, I noted that kargoboy reposted but his business was YarisUniverse if I'm not mistaken. What a shame....felt like 9-11 all over again.

Okay upon further review delete about Kargoboy guess he decided to change to this instead of YarisUniverse.....My bad

Last edited by Klink10; 10-20-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #297
dlinkwit27
 
Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why would i need to change my password? and why have a lot of members changed their user names?
Because depending on what was taken they could have had a list of member names and passwords, which would mean they could take your account at a later date, or if you use the same password for multiple accounts with that name, they could use that to break into your e-mail, AIM, other boards, etc.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #298
hatchbackkid82
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,828
This really blows. My post count dropped. So damn frustrating
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #299
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller View Post
Just catching up on the nights posts and well said everyone!
Thanks for the update, YB!
I for one congratulate you on taking the right steps to preventing this issue from ever happening again. I'm sure that the forums will be stronger in every aspect from now on.

Long live YW!
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #300
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!
 
PreciousPups4U's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lexington, SC USA
Posts: 887
Agreed. Relatively new here (May 08), but have really appreciated all the help and info with the Yaris. Everyone has been great to deal with and very patient with what to some I am sure are stupid questions, but if you don't know then you don't know, right? Never done ANYTHING to a car before, so this whole modding thing is new to me. Without YW I would never have known NEEDED springs or a sway bar.
__________________
Cindy


“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #301
sanityassassinv2
The poison in your poison
 
sanityassassinv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Black Liftback MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 75
YW is a great site...it has helped me out quite a bit and it makes me feel good that I have helped others as well. Fortuantely, there aren't a lot of people like this asshole on YW (see: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1260316).
sanityassassinv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #302
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
yeah....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #303
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
no idea I don't remeber him being a douche either...but meh whatever....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #304
darthbauer
Not really here...
 
darthbauer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
no idea I don't remeber him being a douche either...but meh whatever....


Apparently he is though. Oh well.
darthbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #305
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.
 
sqcomp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Back at home
Posts: 2,609
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
*grumble*

Let's go find a FIT and turn it over on it's top!

Where'd I put my pitchfork?

J/K
__________________
“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
― Thomas Paine
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:04 PM   #306
advocate
 
Drives: car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: location
Posts: 1,033
they can't keep us down, we're already on the bottom since we drive the shortest car on the market =)

way too many cool people and way too much good information for one hack to keep YW down. Although I had to re-register, the only thing I'm distraught over is the wealth of DIY and helpful posts lost, not that I lost my postcount or anything like that!

edit: hooray for 2nd time 1st post =)
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:55 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.