Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,006
It's a contest, but a casual one. I'll be surprised if we get 5 cars. But, that's okay. I set it up primarily as an excuse to go out and do it myself!

Lots of good ideas. I probably won't do most of them. I'm really just looking for simple stuff that I can do that morning or maybe the day before.

I already have a ScanGauge. That's how I've been able to achieve 50 mpg already.

Not going to change my 3-month old 5w20 synthetic oil just for this, I don't think it would make a difference, anyway. Not taking the time to chase a pound or two by draining excess fluids. Not worried about load on the battery. Can't take out the passenger seat because I'll be carrying a navigator.

Riding a freakin' bike is not an option, thanks.

The benefit of higher octane fuel as I understand it is that it allows the engine to run more spark advance, which gives more power at low rpm. Given that hypermiling techniques in the Yaris have the engine almost lugging on acceleration, that's probably a good thing. Harder to burn, it might be, but the Yaris has a VERY strong ignition system. I suspect that those who claim to get marginally better MPG with higher octane aren't lying to us. Probably not enough better to make up for the cost of the fuel... but, hey, I'm trying to set a record here!

What IS the record for US-Spec Yaris MPG? I think I've heard 52.
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My progression into hypermiling BailOut General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 8 10-13-2009 06:31 PM
Yaris Color and MPG Statistics/Summary jmharn General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 21 11-19-2008 04:52 PM
Toyota Yaris MPG Review at www.mpgomatic.com aca72 Fuel Economy Forum 23 10-31-2008 03:59 PM
Am I calculating MPG correctly? YarisBlazer General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 24 08-18-2007 11:57 AM
Wow, I Got 48.57 mpg Kaotic Lazagna General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 52 05-10-2007 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.