Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide
I'm afraid I must disagre with that.
Oil change intervals are designed mainly by marketing. Manufactures want to claim that their cars are more maintainence free than the competition"s
The also want to say their cars are more "green" and get more "use" out of oli.
This is the main reason for extended oil chang intervals.
So, change the oil when dirty when which is still a bout 3k mile or so. Also oil gets diry quicker in winter and can last longer in winter so, a bit of commom sense can go a long way.
As far as the first oil chang......
I like to change oil in a new car at abiout 2k to flush out all the microscopic metalic particles from initial break in wear.
Hey, it's your car so do not let some marketing executive tell you how to maintain it: 
|
Oh, come on, give me a break, in Europe the recommended oil change intervals are more like 20-30,000 km, which is like 15-20,000 miles and the cars run just fine...