Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Just curious, do you think that, given an opportunity to vote on it, the people in this country would vote for paying taxes?
Yes. As long as it's made clear to the person being asked, all of the services they would NOT get if there were no taxes at all.

I am happy to pay taxes. I just want more for my money and different priorities in how they are spent.

But you ignored my point about complaining.
What concrete and real action have you taken to create change?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Yes. As long as it's made clear to the person being asked, all of the services they would NOT get if there were no taxes at all.

I am happy to pay taxes. I just want more for my money and different priorities in how they are spent.
I saw a cool bumper sticker the other day:

"What if schools had the money they needed and the Pentagon held bake sales to pay for bombs?"

Yeah, it was a big bumper sticker. :-)

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
But you ignored my point about complaining.
What concrete and real action have you taken to create change?
Did I complain about something? I didn't feel like that remark was directed at me (as well) If I misunderstood that, I will address it
Old 03-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
op, what cornfield on Ohio do you live in? We have had redlight and speed cameras here in toledo for some time. They really are not that bad, since there are signs posted at every camera... all you have to do is slow down and don't run the lights.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
op, what cornfield on Ohio do you live in?
The OP makes a reasonable point. No need to launch a personal attack. As a traveler through many states and countless unfamiliar towns... these soulless automated systems give me pause.

-Steve
Old 03-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbergman27 View Post
The OP makes a reasonable point. No need to launch a personal attack. As a traveler through many states and countless unfamiliar towns... these soulless automated systems give me pause.

-Steve
personal attack? WTF?

look at the OP's location

I was simply asking where in Ohio he was
Old 03-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
personal attack? WTF? look at the OP's location
Oops. My bad. I misinterpreted your post. Please accept my sincere apology.

-Steve
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Simple solution, obey the traffic laws and you'll have nothing to worry about. You should probably also check with your local laws as there are lots of places where it is illegal to move into the intersection while waiting to make a turn, you're supposed to wait behind the white line before proceeding when it's safe to do so.

As for voting to pay taxes, there are places where this is being done and my town (Colorado Springs) is one of them. We operate under a law known as TABOR (Tax Payers Bill Of Rights) where the city isn't allowed to institute new taxes without voter approval. One of the problems with this (and there are many) is that the people around here hate taxes and government and rarely vote for tax increases. Consequently the town is falling apart due to budget constraints. Our police and fire departments have been cut, we've sold our police helicopters, trashcans have been removed from the public spaces, the city won't be maintaining our abundant parks this summer, a large number of streetlights have been turned off, our streets are not getting repaired, major businesses have left over the years, on and on. Why? Because with the city facing budget shortfalls they asked for a property tax increase and the people voted it down.

It's a beautiful city to live in with the mountains and Pikes Peak as a backdrop but the infrastructure is crumbling. As a result I've actually decided I will be moving elsewhere in the state as soon as it is feasible. Be careful what you wish for.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:

Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
As for voting to pay taxes, there are places where this is being done and my town (Colorado Springs) is one of them. We operate under a law known as TABOR (Tax Payers Bill Of Rights) where the city isn't allowed to institute new taxes without voter approval. One of the problems with this (and there are many) is that the people around here hate taxes and government and rarely vote for tax increases. Consequently the town is falling apart due to budget constraints. Our police and fire departments have been cut, we've sold our police helicopters, trashcans have been removed from the public spaces, the city won't be maintaining our abundant parks this summer, a large number of streetlights have been turned off, our streets are not getting repaired, major businesses have left over the years, on and on. Why? Because with the city facing budget shortfalls they asked for a property tax increase and the people voted it down.
Good point. And I bet a lot of those people who voted against taxes are also complaining about the state of things now.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Of course they are. They're the types to criticize everything and offer no feasible solutions. It was always better 100 years ago is what I hear. Indeed, well...go back there then. There's always Afghanistan.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Darb
Bear Traffic Controller

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Dude, I lived in Montgomery County, MD. Redlight Camera Capital of the world (ask Kcalb Siray) and never got a ticket. You'll be fine.

Kids Playing Chase On Freeways Get Smashed.
Darb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Tax money would go farther if they'd quit paying for stupid things. There's a list 4-miles long of stupid things tax dollars go toward. I'm happy to pay taxes for the things that I need to pay taxes for... that list is pretty damn short though.

Redlight cams bother me, just because I've never dealt with them so I am paranoid that I would wrongly get a ticket lol We don't have them in Minnesota, and I doubt we ever will.... but I would just advise being careful and don't downshift and haul ass through that yellow :)
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote