Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Betrivent
Not quite a noob
 
Betrivent's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 325
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,408
Damn you're in ontario, I'd totally pay you to do this for me :P
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!
 
Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Joyner, Brisbane
Posts: 321
Good stuff . I have about a million questions for you, but here's a couple to start off with:
1 Are the mounts in the same place on the C160?
2 Any mods required to the shifter cable ends or to the throw of the cables to prevent over selecting etc?
3 Why do you remove the neutral return spring?
4 When you change gear at redline in 1st, what revs does it drop to in 2nd?
5 Do you re-use the factory echo driveshafts?
6 Is the C160 diff an 8 bolt diff?
7 Did you have to re-shim anything?
8 Did you use any of the C150 bellhousing or casings or is it all C160 that's in there?

I'll stop there for now.

Cheers,
Rob.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
Good stuff . I have about a million questions for you, but here's a couple to start off with:
1 Are the mounts in the same place on the C160?
2 Any mods required to the shifter cable ends or to the throw of the cables to prevent over selecting etc?
3 Why do you remove the neutral return spring?
4 When you change gear at redline in 1st, what revs does it drop to in 2nd?
5 Do you re-use the factory echo driveshafts?
6 Is the C160 diff an 8 bolt diff?
7 Did you have to re-shim anything?
8 Did you use any of the C150 bellhousing or casings or is it all C160 that's in there?

I'll stop there for now.

Cheers,
Rob.
1. Yeah, the mounts are all in stock locations.
2. You don't have to modify the cables, but you do need to play around with the angle at which neutral arm is on the transmission in order to be able to select all the gears. R is beside 1st.
3. Because of where neutral naturally fall between 3rd and 4th. With the spring in there it wants to pull neutral between 1st and 2nd. Not good when you pull out of 5th looking for 4th and you get 2nd instead.
4. I haven't really checked yet, but it somewhere in the area of 4600-4800. (I'm eventually going to make a video pulling onto the hyw so I can see what the RPMs are actually doing.)
5. Yes.
6. Yes. Prime for various LSDs.
7. No.
8. Yes, the entire C150 Bell Housing is used. The only swap is to the reverse arm and shafts pictured. The rest is C160. They both mate together perfectly with locating dowels.

I think this would be killer in the rally car. But you'd definitely want to find one with an LSD.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!
 
Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Joyner, Brisbane
Posts: 321
That's what I'm thinking. I already have this sitting at home waiting for the right gearbox to put it in.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!
 
Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Joyner, Brisbane
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
7. No.
8. Yes, the entire C150 Bell Housing is used.
Once you swapped it over onto the C150 bell housing, did you recheck the preloads?
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
Once you swapped it over onto the C150 bell housing, did you recheck the preloads?
No i didn't. I probably should have but nothing is whining or making any noise, so I think I'm ok.

I was kinda pressed for time as I needed my car. The only problem there seems to be is with 4th gear when the transmission is still cold. I think the syncro is a little rooted. Once it warms up it shifts much better. Also, it doesn't grind or anything, even when shifting hard @ redline. It just has a click when you pull it into gear and a slight vibration in the shifter.

But in your case, if you have the time to work on both transmissions out of the car it would be a really good idea to go over EVERYTHING, like a rebuild should be done.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd
 
Bluevitz-rs's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Damn you're in ontario, I'd totally pay you to do this for me :P
I've driven from Calgary back home, and it's a far enough drive. LOL, at least 3 days from Richmond
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
6 speed, conversion, gearbox, transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Cruise Control FAQ (2006-2010 Yaris) CTScott DIY / Maintenance / Service 468 11-19-2024 03:45 PM
DIY (sorta) - RunStop Rear disc brake conversion eTiMaGo DIY / Maintenance / Service 17 07-02-2019 08:24 AM
DIY Change Your Interior Light Grey Panels to Black KCALB SIRAY DIY / Maintenance / Service 64 01-22-2015 01:25 PM
Xenon-Vision HID Conversion Kit - $120 Shipped/$160 Shipped for Slim Ballast phu@xenon-vision Sponsors Classifieds Area 8 03-06-2009 02:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.