Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
4/20 NEVER FORGET
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 100
I have to defend the DC header, as I think it's been the single best bolt-on since I started messing with this car.

First mod was a K&N typhoon intake, other than more engine noise, I didn't feel much change.

Second mod was the DC header. I noticed no mid-range torque loss and a noticeable change to the way the top end acted. The engine breathed better in the top end, instead of running out of steam before redline like before. The power across the board seems more linear. Despite the cost I would recommend the header.

Last engine mod I've done is a resonator-back obx exhaust. I didn't really notice any seat of the pants change from this.

Now with these mods the car is easier to drive. It's surprising torquey in 5th gear, I don't have to downshift to 4th gear any more when going up hills on the highway, even with passengers. It still doesn't have the top end that my Honda cars had, which it probably never will. It pulls really well in the 3000-5500 range though for a 1.5L. Overall I'm happy with the mods, I/H/E are worth it in my opinion.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE
 
cali yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canoga Park, CA
Posts: 14,857
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Good luck, and congrats on vacation time!
__________________
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
tooter
play every day
 
tooter's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,962
Do show us pics of your project, and jack up the front of the car. It makes getting to the headpipe bolts sooo much easier from the bottom.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
DJYojimbo
 
Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 261
I know this header is ceramic so there's no need to wrap it right?
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow
 
xnamerxx's Avatar
 
Drives: light blue liftback
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: so cal
Posts: 926
DO NOT WRAP A HEADER!!! wrap is bad avoid it, it holds moisture and increases corrosion. Its coated leave it as is.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #6
DJYojimbo
 
Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 261
Thank You for the advice
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
Possible? Sure.
PITA? Definitely.
__________________
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
WeeYari
 
WeeYari's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 5dr LE (deceased), 13 Soul
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,827
The flange bolts from header to downpipe are only accessible from below. I don't know about you, but personally I cannot fit under the car if not raised.
__________________
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Neurotic Hapi Snak
 
Drives: 2011 Yaris 3dr
Join Date: May 2013
Location: MN
Posts: 39
Is there a reason you don't put the heat shield back on? You'd think you'd want to, to keep your engine bay cool and exhaust header hot.
Neurotic Hapi Snak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
catliektheif
 
catliektheif's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 5 Door
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 272
I just installed mine yesterday and i LOVE it. it was a PITA to take out the stock header without a 12mm deep socket.. so if you are thinking of getting the dc header make sure to get one! I ended up going to the store to pick one up when i got to the last bolt.. lol. No CELs and no leaks! Definitely recommend it.

I have an afe short ram, trd axleback, MI pulley and I'm an AT. I definitely feel a difference and getting to 60-70mph is like butter.
__________________
lol okay
catliektheif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
kappa_md
 
Drives: Yaris RS2 2012
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Manila, Philippines
Posts: 20
TRD made a 4-1 header (exhaust manifold) for the Vitz 1NZ-FE.
kappa_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
JustDidIt
 
JustDidIt's Avatar
 
Drives: '08G2T Prius
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa_md View Post
TRD made a 4-1 header (exhaust manifold) for the Vitz 1NZ-FE.


Yup they did. Welcome to a 3 yr old thread.
JustDidIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #13
SirDigby
 
Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,000
yeah. it's not even useful information...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
tarkus
 
tarkus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 329
OK, I would love to know if there are any other good headers out there which give similar low Rev improvements.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #15
SirDigby
 
Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,000
Weapon R is for low RPM gains
DC is for high RPM gains
Megan is....idk cheap?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
enviri
 
enviri's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
Weapon R is for low RPM gains
DC is for high RPM gains
Megan is....idk cheap?
you forgot OBX :P
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM   #17
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledonia Ont.
Posts: 2,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
Weapon R is for low RPM gains
DC is for high RPM gains
Megan is....idk cheap?
This is true based on the 4-1 vs 4-2-1 design. However, I did notice the torque curve shifted left by about 500 rpm or so with the dc header. This made a difference in the low end still.

This is likely due to the fact that our headers are so short because of the rear exit design which doesn't make the headers act like tradditional long tube deigns

That said I've never used the weapon r header
__________________
No one ever wants to give a Yaris the point by...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
tarkus
 
tarkus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: YYZ
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
This is true based on the 4-1 vs 4-2-1 design.
So which gives better low end or high end?

I also see a number of Yaris sports headers on evilBay, and I wonder if they're any good or should be avoided.

Sent from my phone with Tapatalk. Please excuse any typpos.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.