![]() |
|
|
|
#1369 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 07 White Yaris RS Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 99
|
do you guys fill up when the last bar starts the flash or do you drive it a bit more?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1370 |
|
vroom vroom
Drives: lil red 5-door Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 7,744
|
you should really refill even before the bar starts flashing, as the fuel pump in the tank uses the gas for cooling. If you run very low on fuel, there is a chance of the pump overheating, which is certaibly not a good thing
__________________
The price of freedom of religion, or of speech, or of the press, is that we must put up with a good deal of rubbish. - Robert Jackson ![]() Bye bye 1NZ... |
|
|
|
|
|
#1371 |
|
Banned
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Orange County, Calif
Posts: 284
|
For more information on HyperMilling, check out these sites, which are dedicated to HyperMilling:
www.gassavers.org www.CleanMPG.com If one drives "normally" theyr Yaris, paying no attention to saving gas, but just driving "normally" one will get in the high 20's and low 30's mpg at best. But if you are mindful about driving for saving gas, one will easily get mid to high 40's for hwy driving, and at least high 30's for city. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1372 |
![]() Drives: 2007 Silver Yaris S Sedan Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hartville, OH
Posts: 19
|
My Yaris has 715 miles on it. I just fueled up today for the 2nd time. I calculated my fuel mileage to be 40.33 mpg around town (no highway driving at all). I drive 21 miles each way to work with avg. speed probably around 45 mph. I have approx 15 stops for traffic lights. I'm not hypermiling but I try to be conservative (no jackrabbit starts, etc.). I'm very pleased so far. Will my fuel mileage increase as my engine gets broken in?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1373 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
|
Quote:
Hopefully, you will get even better numbers as your car breaks in. Although you are not hypermiling, you are paying attention not to waste fuel unnecessarily, if this is what you meant in your post. I think that is the main reason why you get reasonably good numbers. As I have been saying, anybody paying attention to F.E and fuel saving techniques will benefit to a degree. Also, although you said you did not drive on highways, you did say that your average speed was around 45 mph, which I consider faster than the usual speeds we use in city traffic. So, it appears that you have not always been bothered by busy traffic. Also, you said that you drove about 21 miles each way to work, which should be considered a long but quite smooth, albeit non-highway trip. Although you mentioned that there were about 15 traffic light stops each way, you could have been using anticipatory techniques to avoid some traffic light stops some of the time, consciously or otherwise. I think all these contribute to the fact that your Yaris has returned more or less highway fuel economy. Short trips and bumper to bumper traffic are very damaging to F.E. I recommend this site to you. It is very practical:http://www.vehicleservice.co.za/calc/fuel.html. Unfortunately it appears that it uses Imperial gallons in its fuel calculator. However, the fuel saving tips in there are good. If you use them, you will not have to rely solely on the car's breaking in to bring you even better F.E. Warm regards and safe and happy motoring !
Last edited by swng; 07-19-2007 at 11:41 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1374 | |
![]() Drives: 2007 Silver Yaris S Sedan Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hartville, OH
Posts: 19
|
Quote:
Swng, Thanks for the feedback and the link to that web site. I kinda felt like I was more towards highway mileage based on my daily driving conditions. You confirmed my suspicion |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1375 |
![]() |
Yaris 3D 1.3.
I'm getting 60 Km/g (38 mpg) in city and 65 Km/g (40 mpg) in Highway. I life in an city (Cuenca, Ecuador) which is at 2200 meters of the level of the sea. I drive under regular conditions and roads, no modifications in my car, ocasionally use of the A/C, drive under 80 km/h in city and under 130 km/h in Highway, no special care in driving (like some strange technics I saw in last posts) (althoug I drive safe and responsably, and being a car lover myself I don't over rev the engine or abuse the brakes and clutch), regular oil change and care (only at Cuenca's Toyota Dealer Importadora Tomebamba which I think is the best), only premium fuel. The car is manual. Before this car I had a Suzuki Alto 2003 (1.0L 67HP 16 VALVE), that car gave me an average of 75 Km/g (47 mpg) in city and highway, which I think it's truly great. I think the mpg I'm getting with the Yaris are totally more than OK, I'm really happy with my car. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1376 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mich
Posts: 84
|
New personal best
The price of gas dipped down so I thought that I top off my tank even though it was only half empty. For 179.4 miles I used 4.004 gallons for a MPG of 44.8.
I just put synthetic in it and my tires are right at 40 psi. I'm slow to takeoff and utilizing DFCO where ever I can; other than that no special tricks! It's kind of rough here in Michigan where the speed limit is 70 mph. It seems like I do so much better on the back roads where I can set the cruise at 55 mph. I want to bump the tires up to the 44 psi max and I'm considering blocking off some the space in the grill for better aerodynamics. I'm a little leary of shutting of the vehicle at any time where it is still moving. We're still taking this a little bit at a time. It's an awesome little sedan at any rate.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1377 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 2007 Yaris S Join Date: May 2007
Location: Piqua, Ohio
Posts: 302
|
For some reason the mileage is always higher when you fill it when it gets half empty. I don't know if the last half a tank goes faster or what?
__________________
********************************* "Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds." |
|
|
|
|
|
#1378 |
![]() ![]() Drives: 07 black yaris 5 speed lb Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: michigan
Posts: 54
|
im sure this has been discussed a million times, so heres one million and one. its difficult to get an accurate reading of mileage with barely a half tank used. the smaller the total mileage you are dividing in to, the easier it is for any variance in the fill to affect your outcome. the way you fill on that particular pump and the peculiar characteristics on that pump can really skew a small numerator (mileage total). i always get a chuckle when someone says "i got 50 mpg on my car. i went 50 miles after filling, then filled, and it took 1 gallon to refill."
while its not good to run your tank near empty too often, it is the best way to get the most accurate mileage reading on a given tank. |
|
|
|
|
|
#1379 | |
![]() ![]() Drives: Yaris LB Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 89
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1380 |
|
Mr Attitude
Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 302
|
I'm about 2500 miles into my car, and have been locked at 37 mpg. The only tank that was above that was 41 mpg, with my girlfriend driving. I don't understand that, as she drives my Yaris like her Prelude SH, so I would think the empeegees would drop, but not so. I even got the same mileage on a 700 mile trip cruising at 80 as I do with my daily 40 mile 60 mph commute...
Maybe I'll get a stick up my ass and try to get through a whole tank with my mind on the highest empeegee, but probably not...
__________________
It's scary to think that half the people surrounding you are below average...
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1381 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
|
Quote:
!Nice initial numbers! Please do make further reports of your "empeegees" here. Safe and happy motoring! |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1382 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
|
Impressed and feel happy for you! Share more of your experience anytime!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1383 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() |
Well, my first tank was at 35 MPG with all city driving. then the next tank was at 32 MPG and the only reason for that is because my bf was driving it going 90 down the highway and just accelerating like crazy. This past tank, I got a good 36MPG.. again, all city. I drove a little highway on this new tank so we'll see how I do.
__________________
Don't Milk the Cat! -Said by me during a game of Cranium.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1384 |
|
toyota
Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: toronto, canada
Posts: 3,637
|
youll do better if you dont let your bf drive it..hehehe just a thought!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#1385 |
![]() ![]() Drives: Yaris 1.5G Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 53
|
just a brief update:
my latest tracking... 14.39km/L, 60% highway, 40% city driving...
__________________
finally i found this forum!!! |
|
|
|
|
|
#1386 |
![]() ![]() Drives: Bayou Blue 2dr, AT Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 67
|
I just finished a tank that was about 34.5 MPG (US), but given that it's been hot and I've had the A/C running a lot -- plus it was mostly city driving -- I think that's not too bad.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|