Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #271
sanityassassinv2
The poison in your poison
 
sanityassassinv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Black Liftback MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Posts: 75
Whew, I'm finally able to post. For some reason I had to change my name to "v2"...I never got a confirmation email on my other name when I re-registered. It really stinks having 0 posts, but oh well--I'm glad you guys were able to keep the site up. Thanks!

BTW, can someone either activate "sanityassassin" and get rid of this account or vice-versa? It won't let me change my email address to my home email address (because it says it's already in use).
sanityassassinv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #272
slothman86
 
slothman86's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 733
How about this pissed me off so much!
__________________
INDUSTRIAL DESIGN - DEVIANTART - CARDOMAIN
slothman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #273
SeansGirl0604
Love this itty bitty car!
 
SeansGirl0604's Avatar
 
Drives: Polar White 2007 Hatchback
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Send a message via MSN to SeansGirl0604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Excellent time to change your password if your account did not get nuked.
Yep..I just was required to change my password..but I might start over anyway.
__________________
Lisa H.
Lovin' my Yaris in SE Wisconsin.
SeansGirl0604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #274
uncleyaris
 
Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,523
It reminds me of the markets right now. I just lost 1200 posts!!! Sucks but we'll bounce back!!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #275
*MAD DOG*
 
*MAD DOG*'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 6,412
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisBueller View Post
I feel horrible about this but what do you want me to do at this point? I didn't ask for this, I never did anything to piss anyone off. Someone very malicious and vicious came and attacked the forum and I've been working for more hours then I can count to bring things back as best as possible. Sure I wish I had daily backups. Sure I wish we had a 24 hour onsite server maintainance company to watch things for us and keep the hackers out. But the fact is that I'm one person who is trying to run the site in conjuction with an amazing moderator team and amazing site membership. This place is a homegrown effort for sure. I'm frustrated and I want to snap quite a few necks right now, but the only thing I can actually do and have an effect on is to get things back up to par. I haven't even spent that much time trying to trace the hacker as I have been in just setting things right. At this point retribution is much less important than getting the ship floating and sailing straight again. Take my word for it, its alot of work and I might be moving the server completly today as right now we are leasing the space and since i'm dropping some more money on daily backups I might as well spend some on a new server... theres alot on my plate right now and i'm doing what I can to fix things and i'm sorry I didnt do everything I probably should of but please remember this is a complete donation of my time and money; i've never asked for anything from anyone and never will. Sorry i'm rambling right now. Ok, keep the PMs with suggestions coming i'm implementing things as they come in so if you've ever wanted something, nows the time to ask :)

YarisBueller,

I'm sure you feel horrible about this. I would feel the same if I was in your shoes, knowing that I was responsible for a years loss of information for not having proper back up procedures (daily, weekly at least).

I'm not accusing you of wanting this to happen, no one apart from one ex-member (captavise aka vpcorp had stated he would bring the site down within the last 2 months), all i'm saying is prevention is better than cure and if a proper back up procedure had been implemented all the heartache of administrators, moderators, vendors, members could have been avoided.

I even remember a thread about 3-6 months ago the mod team was calling for people to "hack" the site to check how secure it was. At that point in time I thought that a backup would have been made before such an offer went out just in case something bad happened.

I understand you've probably put hours into getting this forum back up, I would do the same if I was an administrator as it would be my responsibility to do so, not to mention the guilt attached of not doing proper back ups. I know it seems I’m harping on about this.

I really understand that this forum has an excellent moderator team, all of them are approachable via pm or email and most would go out of there way to help anyone. The forum also has an excellent member base who are also willing to help anyone with advice, suggestions and DIY's.

I would like to conclude by saying that I understand that no amount of bitching, whining, throwing tantrums on the floor will bring back the lost information. I also understand that it is more important that all members rebuild this great forum as we are a great community with lots of helpful information to share.

But most important is to learn the valuable lesson the hacker/s has taught us.
Back up daily. I'm also glad that now a proper back up procedure has been implemented and this situation would be overcome easily if it was to happen again.

YarisBueller, I would like to thank you for doing the best you can with what you've got to get this forum to where it once was and even better.

---
*MAD DOG*
__________________


"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #276
mark2908
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris HB Auto
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13
I can't believe someone would do this to YW. Back up, Back up, Back up.
If funds are needed to do weekly or daily backups... I'd be happy to chip in, as many other members would be too. Thanks to all the moderators for the hard work, I'm sure some hair and sleep has been lost over this.
mark2908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #277
othater
 
Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal, SanGabriel
Posts: 53
Just when I was about to get 25 posts for a noob, now back to 1.
othater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #278
jimtevin
Banned
 
Drives: Black Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah, Georgia, USA
Posts: 10
Y'all keep talking about this ex member who said he would bring the site down..just curious..why?? What would make a member here want to do this??
jimtevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #279
DFA
Compulsive Washer
 
DFA's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Panama City, Panama
Posts: 395
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtevin View Post
Y'all keep talking about this ex member who said he would bring the site down..just curious..why?? What would make a member here want to do this??
Same reason losers and rejects at high schools decide to go in one day with a couple UZIs and a sawn-off shotgun and grafitti everyone's brain to a wall.
__________________

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #280
jimtevin
Banned
 
Drives: Black Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah, Georgia, USA
Posts: 10
No, I guess what I am asking is not why he chose hacking as the way to go, but what you believe the provocation was? Did he just go crazy one day?
jimtevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #281
03Z33
 
03Z33's Avatar
 
Drives: TCR10
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,132
craziness
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #282
jimtevin
Banned
 
Drives: Black Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Savannah, Georgia, USA
Posts: 10
So there is nothing at all that might have set this guy off? One day, he was Mr. Model Poster, the next day, he says he will hack the site? I am asking because I am making a tiny, tiny bit of progress following the IP trail.
jimtevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #283
jronald
 
jronald's Avatar
 
Drives: Black NCP91R
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southeast Asia
Posts: 18
I've made a post (again)...!

and what else could I say.. complaining will gets me nowhere but raising my posts number.. LOL
jronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #284
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtevin View Post
So there is nothing at all that might have set this guy off? One day, he was Mr. Model Poster, the next day, he says he will hack the site? I am asking because I am making a tiny, tiny bit of progress following the IP trail.
no he was basically just a troll from the get go...he would 'act' as if he wanted to add valuable input, then unprovoked, he would pm different members scrutinizing and belittling them, rather, attempting to belittle/beguile them. he would make irrational postings and the such just an all out troll...
good luck if you are trying...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #285
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?
 
Shroomster's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs View Post
He has been warned, banned, begged for forgiveness, allowed back, warned again, and banned again, and then keeps trying to stir things up under dummy accounts, feeling he's been persecuted unfairly, even showing up today to gloat about the hacking situation...

Cheers
are you serious? he showed up today? thread was deleted?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #286
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD
 
Drives: not yaris!
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: milpitas / santa rosa
Posts: 221
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
sucks yw was hacked, but at the same time, i almost didn't notice anything. props to the ones that take care of this site.

edit: ok nvm. now i see the damage. haha. shit.
__________________
JustAnotherAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 AM   #287
dlinkwit27
 
Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 56
Before I read the whole thread, THOSE OF YOU WHO DID NOT LOSE YOUR ACCOUNTS CHANGE YOUR PW ASAP!
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:27 AM   #288
Dess
 
Dess's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback Pearl Black!
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 501, AR
Posts: 123
Wow, I been gone a long time. And back to 30 posts I am >.<
But a big thanks to the mods/admins to get this back up and going!!!

Rebuild! Weeee can doooo eeeeet!
__________________
Dess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:43 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.