Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
NGK is now the OE plugs for GM and Chrysler as well
They will have to do more than install good plugs in their cars to get them out of the mess they've got themselves into.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 AM   #20
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I use regular NGK plugs for any Japanese car i own,they are trouble free and inexpensive,not sure how long they would last as i change them every 3yrs or 50k whatever comes first.For a small economical car like the Yaris i'd save the extra money by using regular plugs stay away from the expensive gimmicky spark plugs.
I hope when you say regular NGK plugs you mean the oem plugs. Iridium NGKs which are not really regular. Depending where you buy them they can run from 15-30 a piece.

If you are buying regular ngks you would be paying like 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

THe difference? The regular NGKs with copper core will burn out really fast. In a matter of a week. If it dosnt burn out the coil first. Iridiums are designed to withstand the spark generated by the coil. Anything less than a platinum plug will wear out extremely fast.

Example. Car came in to my shop last year. He wanted us to change his spark plugs for him. Labor time was 2 hours so roughly 200 bucks. I gave the plugs to the mechanic and he went to work. I walked by to check how he was doing. And when i picked up the plug and looked at it and what came out. I was like oh crap. These are regular 1.50 autolight spark plugs. When this car is supose to take motorcraft platinums.

Nothing we could do about it now but finish the job and give the keys back to the customer. I never said anything because if i acted like i knew what happend he would assume i intentionally put them in there to charge him twice or punish him for bringing his own parts.

Next weekend the car was back with a horrible missfire. Or should i say missfires. I knew what it was immediately. If i was a asshole i could have charged him a diagnostic fee. But i told him to leave it for a hour. Took out a plug and sure enough the electrode was completely gone. WHen i informed him why it was missfiring he felt like a complete idiot.

Him tryign to save himself some money costed him a whole lot more in the end. Charged him again 2 more hours to remove the plugs. Plus almost 100 for the right spark plugs. I ordred these directly from the dealer to make sure they were exact part number.

After then car ran perfect. If a car manufacture designed a car to run on a certain part. And if a cheaper one were available they would use it. Anything to save a penny now days. If they could remove a bracket or nut in your engine bay if they felt it wasnt really needed they would. a 5 cent nut times hundreds of thousands of cars really adds up to the bottom line. So if they felt they could ship all yarises with a copper core plug from the factory. They could save themselfs hundreds of thousands if not millions.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:36 AM   #21
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
I hope when you say regular NGK plugs you mean the oem plugs. Iridium NGKs which are not really regular. Depending where you buy them they can run from 15-30 a piece.

If you are buying regular ngks you would be paying like 2 or 3 bucks a piece.

THe difference? The regular NGKs with copper core will burn out really fast. In a matter of a week. If it dosnt burn out the coil first. Iridiums are designed to withstand the spark generated by the coil. Anything less than a platinum plug will wear out extremely fast.

My Yaris is too new to need plugs at the moment so i dont know what the oem plugs are but i have been using the $3 NGK plugs in my Echo and i change them every 100,000kms and so far have had no problems.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #22
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
so I need what size mm deep socket for this???? And there is no way that platinums wont work..
iridium is expensive hype... there is so little iridium on there you could count the atoms.
its a drag you cant even get your head into over the holes to look into there..i would have seen the plug tops...
You arent aware of individual ignition coil packs, and next your counting Ir atoms on your plugs? Get the Ir plugs. They are the biggest ignition advance since DLI and will run better than anything on a stocker. Toy typ uses Denso - they are better made than NGK. NGK has terrible GND electrodes that glow and burn off in these lambda motors. Bosch make a very good standard copper plug, everthing else is absolute crap. These DLI ignitions are actually WEAK, they need the small electrode utilised in the Ir plugs to prevent excessive misfire. Donty think you can outsmart the DENSO IGNITION GUYS.
-the Bro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arc.jpg (3.5 KB, 55 views)
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
kou

Drives: 08 lb
why be cheap on something you buy every 8-10 years.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #24
Maddman

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan (Aero)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris9876 View Post
come on some one give some info on this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just to help you out, it's called TDI. Toyota Direct Ignition. I used to build the Toyota engines in a factory. You don't need to replace them at all.
Maddman is offline   Reply With Quote