Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #55
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
So right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
Bring it. Been trying to convince my family to start buying economical cars since I got my car, but no. In a country where a car matters more than education, wits, and personality people buy the most expensive car they can afford. Time to led the Yaris revolution.
You are so right. Every other time I have ever bought a car, I always had second doubts about whether I made the right decision. My previous car was a Toy 4R and although I loved the car, I hated buying gas for it. I sold it to my daughter who needed a dependable car and knew exactly which car I wanted. My other daughter had bought a 07 Yaris and she loves it.

To make a long story short, I have absolutely no second regrets. Now my older brother is talking about buying one.

Leadership is best displayed through personal action...not talk!
daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #56
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
You are so right. Every other time I have ever bought a car, I always had second doubts about whether I made the right decision. My previous car was a Toy 4R and although I loved the car, I hated buying gas for it. I sold it to my daughter who needed a dependable car and knew exactly which car I wanted. My other daughter had bought a 07 Yaris and she loves it.

To make a long story short, I have absolutely no second regrets. Now my older brother is talking about buying one.

Leadership is best displayed through personal action...not talk!
yeah, I haven't had any buyers remorse either... I was actually thinking about that last week. Its really strange that I can go out and spend thousands of dollars on a product that I don't really want, and wish I could deal without it in the first place.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #57
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Government is the problem!
Government is always the problem. Always. The less the government does, the better off everyone is.

As for a 'greener" world and all that nonsense, let the markets do that. People should be free to make their own choices. That is why it is called freedom, not slavery.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #58
phenoyz

Drives: yaris
gas price increase

ELECTION is over GAS is going to $5.00 / Gallon
YEHHHHEYYYYY
Old 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #59
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
How true . The RUSSIANS need IRAN to pay for their nuclear program and arms that they supply to them . It's a chess match between the super powers and the little people in this world are its pawns ( or should I say commodities $ ) .
Not so really. The revenue generated by Iran for Russian nuclear technology and arms is less then 1% of Russia's GNP. The reason Russia is in bed with Iran is to offset the US's influence in that region (Isreal).
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #60
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Government is always the problem. Always. The less the government does, the better off everyone is.

As for a 'greener" world and all that nonsense, let the markets do that. People should be free to make their own choices. That is why it is called freedom, not slavery.
Yea, yea so "true"...and besides, we all know that corporate America, business owners, and the like are very, very, very, very honest and can be trusted.

Right....if you really believe that government is "always" the problem, you are (1) very young or (2) uneducated, or (3) inexperienced.

The fact that you used the word "always" immediately discredits all you write.

For the record, I am a Reagan Republican, and hate big government, and government largess, however I would NEVER say that government is always the problem. That clearly is a myth.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #61
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

I would have to disagree, in part, with you SilverGlow. Government never can do what the private sector can do. With the exception of the military, name one government program that is carried out under budget. Government is the problem. You only have to look at the home mortgage problem to highlight that government took a bad problem and turned it into a national disaster. Same with gas prices. They dictated how gas will be made, wouldn't allow new refineries, and stopped new drilling. The result has been $4 gas prices that, in combination with the home mortgage problem, have almost sunk our economy. Any government program...ANY...has a 180 degree result. It spends more than it planned and never can accomplish its goals and objectives.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

Old 02-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #62
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
I would have to disagree, in part, with you SilverGlow. Government never can do what the private sector can do. With the exception of the military, name one government program that is carried out under budget. Government is the problem. You only have to look at the home mortgage problem to highlight that government took a bad problem and turned it into a national disaster. Same with gas prices. They dictated how gas will be made, wouldn't allow new refineries, and stopped new drilling. The result has been $4 gas prices that, in combination with the home mortgage problem, have almost sunk our economy. Any government program...ANY...has a 180 degree result. It spends more than it planned and never can accomplish its goals and objectives.
And you so willfully refuse to list the private sector F-ups like Enron, Madoff, GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the many other PRIVATE companies that have made really bad mistakes because of greed.

I agree that government should not dictate, but for you to blame it all on the government and not mention the massively bad F-ups the private sector created is plain wrong.

Big Gov is bad, and inefficient. However unregulated private enterprise is just as bad if not worse.

The answer is something in the middle.

And as to this latest mortgage F-up, the blame is 90% private sector companies, and 10% mortgage loan holders (Joe Publict) for agreeing to really stupid loan terms. If the government is to blame, it is to blame for lack of regulations.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #63
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
And you so willfully refuse to list the private sector F-ups like Enron, Madoff, GM, Ford, Chrysler, and the many other PRIVATE companies that have made really bad mistakes because of greed.

I agree that government should not dictate, but for you to blame it all on the government and not mention the massively bad F-ups the private sector created is plain wrong.

Big Gov is bad, and inefficient. However unregulated private enterprise is just as bad if not worse.

The answer is something in the middle.

And as to this latest mortgage F-up, the blame is 90% private sector companies, and 10% mortgage loan holders (Joe Publict) for agreeing to really stupid loan terms. If the government is to blame, it is to blame for lack of regulations.
I don't think Forf or GM screwed up. The government won't allow new drilling and new refineries so the cost skyrockets and that is what is killing the American automakers. Government regulations only cause people to loose jobs.

You only to look at this latest so called stimulus bill to realize that government is the problem.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #64
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
Are you just here baiting people???
I can't believe anyone that drives a Yaris would be for expanding drilling.

Quote:
I don't think Forf or GM screwed up. The government won't allow new drilling and new refineries so the cost skyrockets and that is what is killing the American automakers. Government regulations only cause people to loose jobs.

You only to look at this latest so called stimulus bill to realize that government is the problem.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #65
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
Are you just here baiting people???
I can't believe anyone that drives a Yaris would be for expanding drilling.
Baiting? The problem isn't that we don't have enough oil in the world...the problem is that we can't drill to get it. I drive a Yaris because I love the gas mileage and I have to drive from Indy to Chicago every week for work. Its common sense.

Oil...gas...is the oxygen of our economy. You can see how bad our economy is right now and that is, in part, is due to the high gas prices of the past few years. People could only charge for gas so long.

I don't believe in global warming...its a fraud and there is evidence that the world is actually cooling....so I believe that drilling for new oil is vital for the economic security of our county.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #66
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
That's not true at all. The latest mortgage calamity was born when government officials headed by an oversight group led by Barny Frank started encouraging banks to loosen up requirements for mortgage loans so families could live a share of "the American dream." Next came balloon mortgages and people making $50,000 a year moving into half a million dollar homes. That couldn't last forever and not everyone is going to get a slice of that American dream and have 2.5 children.

Now it's starting again as cheap interest and reduced loan requirements are being mandated by the government for stimulus money. How getting more Americans in debt for things they can't afford will help the economy is a solution on the government understands.

The government is usually the problem. There are no absolutes. I'm far from uneducated and I'm not that young anymore. My only weakness is internet arguments.
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #67
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Russia wants a foot-hold in Iran. We're in countries next door. China wants to go in through an undefended east coast of Africa. They will start by saying its humanitarian aid. When China starts building large air and sea transports watch out. Expect a bio weapon to be launched in Africa that makes the current aids epidemic much more deadly. It may be couched as an aids vaccine but will be historic in "keeping the black man down" six feet under. The march north would be unstoppable without the nuclear solution.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #68
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
I don't believe in global warming...its a fraud and there is evidence that the world is actually cooling....so I believe that drilling for new oil is vital for the economic security of our county.
Wow. Do you work for mobil? chevron? please tell. I've heard some people try to say it is warming, but it is just a natural cycle, and humans dumping billions of tons of pollutants has done nothing - But I've never really heard anyone say we're cooling.

Also, please explain, how in this "cooling world" the ice caps continue to break apart and recede towards the poles.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #69
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
We're not going to see gas get "expensive" ($3-$4+/gal) again for a while.

Why?

Because of the economy. If you guys think our current situation is bad, just wait. Many expert economists (you don't even need to be an economist to realize..) are predicting the 2nd Great Depression coming up. This one will actually be worse in a sense because debt is immensely larger than it was in the first one.

In a depression state, prices on just about everything will drop dramatically. However, after recovery, hyper-inflation will roll in dramatically raising gas prices to levels never seen.

Don't think we're depression proof guys. We're not.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote